Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Project Fear or Project Reality?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Why would credit ratings of EU members drop and hurt them more? Which EU members are more like to default (they can't due to mechanisms in place), may want to back this point up. Sounds like it's pulled from your backside.
Clearly people did think the money would go on the NHS. Also, it's not even £350m.

NewsCommentaryContentImage.jpg

This graph shows how the likely they are to default according to the market. Note that spike.

Members can default, and in fact EU law states that the EU should not stop a member from default (no bailout clause), but they didn't really follow that one to the letter with Greece.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This whole fudge up has got all the hallmarks of a truly British:-

Project Meh.

Those charged with seeing this through are going to end up compromising the arse out of every decision.
The 'wins' will end up as ambiguous as the 'loses'.

We'll end up with negligible changes, while the extremes on both side will scream that 'this is not what I voted for'.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This whole fudge up has got all the hallmarks of a truly British:-

Project Meh.

Those charged with seeing this through are going to end up compromising the arse out of every decision.
The 'wins' will end up as ambiguous as the 'loses'.

We'll end up with negligible changes, while the extremes on both side will scream that 'this is not what I voted for'.
Fingers crossed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lots of little things are going to screw us over I fear, costs are definitely going to rise and the uncertainty will not help our stock markets or European stocks. Surprised that the £350 m for the NHS has been shamelessly abandoned after 24 hours... But hey... That's politics. I still feel sad that we did not properly try to lead in Europe and explain the benefits of membership. Lots of little perks from being in Europe are going to dry up now.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
How much would a new base, that realistically could only be built on the Cumbrian coast, as the warheads can't be stored in a populated area, plus the submarines need a deep water port, so dredging would be needed, cost on top of renewal?

Probably as much as Corbyns bright idea to build a new nuclear sub with no nuclear weapons on it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still feel sad that we did not properly try to lead in Europe and explain the benefits of membership. Lots of little perks from being in Europe are going to dry up now.
Yesterday I did, momentarily, try to find how much Brexit Wales gets from the EU, thinking they have to have been turkey's voting for Christmas:-

http://gov.wales/funding/eu-funds/?lang=en

Through the EU Structural Funds, Wales has benefited from just over £4bn since 2000, supporting business, research and innovation, helping people into work, increasing skills, improving transport and digital networks, regenerating our communities, and enhancing our environment.
Since 2007, EU projects have created 11,925 enterprises and 36,970 (gross) jobs, assisted 72,700 people into work, 229,110 to gain qualifications, and 56,055 into further learning.

You'd think a population of 3+m would have noticed a £4bn spend over 16 years, and be grateful.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Yesterday I did, momentarily, try to find how much Brexit Wales gets from the EU, thinking they have to have been turkey's voting for Christmas:-

http://gov.wales/funding/eu-funds/?lang=en

Through the EU Structural Funds, Wales has benefited from just over £4bn since 2000, supporting business, research and innovation, helping people into work, increasing skills, improving transport and digital networks, regenerating our communities, and enhancing our environment.
Since 2007, EU projects have created 11,925 enterprises and 36,970 (gross) jobs, assisted 72,700 people into work, 229,110 to gain qualifications, and 56,055 into further learning.

You'd think a population of 3+m would have noticed a £4bn spend over 16 years, and be grateful.

Or maybe they realised the UK funds that, and will continue to fund that without the middle man taking a cut?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Or maybe they realised the UK funds that, and will continue to fund that without the middle man taking a cut?

Two questions for you:

So you are saying that in the next 15 years Wales will get more than 4bn from the UK?

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that the UK have given Wales more than 4bn in the last 15 years?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have no idea. I'm not an expert because people in this country have had enough of experts.

I hate experts, going around knowing stuff about stuff. What sort of way is that to run a country. I will stick to blind faith and gut feeling thank you very much.

Was that right Rupert??

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I hate experts, going around knowing stuff about stuff. What sort of way is that to run a country. I will stick to blind faith and gut feeling thank you very much.

Was that right Rupert??

Me too. Listening to experts and not going with gut feeling and sticking to blind faith is political correctness gone completely mad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Project Fear, Project Reality, Project Fear and Fantasy, Project Hate.

It seems everyone loves a Project.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You mention exports but for some strange reason fail to mention that imports become more expensive that fuel costs rise.
Also for thw FTSE how many financial shares finished at 12 month lows yesterday.
Beware the one eyed monster

i only mentioned exports because such a significant point has been made of them for so long. are we supposed to be encouraging imports now? lots of financials hit lows, but most have plumped levels around this in the past year. my whole point is about avoiding the one sided "its all doom" view, buying opportunity for the banks and housbuilders imo, the fundementals havent changed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Project Fear, Project Reality, Project Fear and Fantasy, Project Hate.

It seems everyone loves a Project.

I didn't I always used to leave them till the last minute.
I did do a nice project on Canada, once.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Two questions for you:

So you are saying that in the next 15 years Wales will get more than 4bn from the UK?

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that the UK have given Wales more than 4bn in the last 15 years?

Wales is in the UK, so it doesn't make any sense to ask if Wales will get £4bn "from" the UK, or to back up a claim that the "UK have given Wales" more than £4bn.

You realise Welsh taxpayers paid towards the EU, which then gave them back some of the money? You've got to consider the whole picture, not just a single cash flow

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
i only mentioned exports because such a significant point has been made of them for so long. are we supposed to be encouraging imports now? lots of financials hit lows, but most have plumped levels around this in the past year. my whole point is about avoiding the one sided "its all doom" view, buying opportunity for the banks and housbuilders imo, the fundementals havent changed.

This country has had enough of exports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here