Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So what are the geeks thoughts on Boardman bikes? Anyone own one?

This review came out yesterday. £1619 in Halford at the moment. I must say it looks tempting.

http://road.cc/content/review/180536-boardman-road-pro-carbon-slr

A lot of bang for your buck. Not often you read anything bad about a Boardman bike to be fair. That said, £1600 is still £1600 and I don't know if I'd be a bit snobby about it when it came to the crunch.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Rule 5 isn't much good when being kind and sympathetic, we only ever use it to (jokingly) belittle others.
But it's heart is in the right place.

As [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] says it's been the warmest winter on record, there's been minimal ice, no snow, just wet and windy.
At the end of the day, that's still a plus.

I have to write this now as it may well not be true this time tomorrow, but:-

I'm yet to go on a ride this winter that I've regretted.

Yes I've got cold, wet and blown to smithereens, occasionally all at once, but plugging away has made me feel invincible on the odd good day.

Just get out there, plan your routes well and make the best of a bad situation, it'll pay off big time in the long run.

The club winter warmer ride a couple of weeks ago was the worst weather I've ridden in, so it can only get better. Wet wet wet tomorrow.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So what are the geeks thoughts on Boardman bikes? Anyone own one?

This review came out yesterday. £1619 in Halford at the moment. I must say it looks tempting.

http://road.cc/content/review/180536-boardman-road-pro-carbon-slr

Hubby had a boardman, the bike itself was really nice, but the build quality from Halfords was appaling and had lots of issues caused by that. With hindsight may have been best to get the bike from them and pay a proper mechanic to put it together

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The club winter warmer ride a couple of weeks ago was the worst weather I've ridden in, so it can only get better. Wet wet wet tomorrow.
Yeah I know.
First thing this morning I planned us a route that'll get us ahead of the bulk of the storm and then loop us around it.
Colin has come back to me basically saying 'sod that, we're riding straight through this one' :facepalm:

It'll be interesting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hubby had a boardman, the bike itself was really nice, but the build quality from Halfords was appaling and had lots of issues caused by that. With hindsight may have been best to get the bike from them and pay a proper mechanic to put it together
Yeah I certainly wouldn't be handing over £1,600 to Halfords.

Over this way Hargroves also stock the upper range of Boardman's.
So if you have your heart set on it [MENTION=17592]pcol[/MENTION] I'd most definitely buy it there.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A lot of bang for your buck. Not often you read anything bad about a Boardman bike to be fair. That said, £1600 is still £1600 and I don't know if I'd be a bit snobby about it when it came to the crunch.

Yes, absolutely. If you are going to spend that much, your bike MUST be more exotic than a Boardman, Whether it's better or not.

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
As always, top advice geeks. Chances are I won't go for it. I must be one of the most indecisive people on the planet. Last time I was looking at race bikes I ended up buying a croix de fer and stuck a pannier rack on it. Does mean I can go touring this summer but not exactly what I set out for. So i'm still in the market for an upgrade to my road bike though, which after spending weeks researching will probably end up me getting a recumbent or something.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Rule 5 isn't much good when being kind and sympathetic, we only ever use it to (jokingly) belittle others.
But it's heart is in the right place.

As [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] says it's been the warmest winter on record, there's been minimal ice, no snow, just wet and windy.
At the end of the day, that's still a plus.

I have to write this now as it may well not be true this time tomorrow, but:-

I'm yet to go on a ride this winter that I've regretted.

Yes I've got cold, wet and blown to smithereens, occasionally all at once, but plugging away has made me feel invincible on the odd good day.

Just get out there, plan your routes well and make the best of a bad situation, it'll pay off big time in the long run.

There you go, just making me feel better about myself :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There you go, just making me feel better about myself :)
Ah sorry about that, once I started bibbling I clearly lost the intention of my post.

Anyway you'll have plenty of inclement weather to prove your Rule 5 credentials between now and Summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow Geeks, that was nuts.

Unsurprisingly I wasn't dressed for a blizzard, not even close.
But thanks to my PBK jersey and 'comedy' boots (now only £80 from Wiggle), I got away with it.

As much as I was already in love with my jersey it surpassed itself today.

That and a very thin base layer was all I had on, and it was still enough.
The jersey repelled all the snow, hail and rain that got thrown at it.

LEGEND :bowdown:

Where were you when the storm hit [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION]?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Wow Geeks, that was nuts.

Unsurprisingly I wasn't dressed for a blizzard, not even close.
But thanks to my PBK jersey and 'comedy' boots (now only £80 from Wiggle), I got away with it.

As much as I was already in love with my jersey it surpassed itself today.

That and a very thin base layer was all I had on, and it was still enough.
The jersey repelled all the snow, hail and rain that got thrown at it.

LEGEND :bowdown:

Where were you when the storm hit [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION]?

In Arundel, but only cold rain. Fecking windy heading west along the coast.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In Arundel, but only cold rain. Fecking windy heading west along the coast.
In some kind of shelter I hope.
The wind was brutal and with it being gusty I thought it was worse than Imogen.

I spent the first 5 minutes in a hedge, but as I was getting cold thought sod it and pressed on.
I've never seen anything like it, snow sleet, hail and rain just being pushed into a wind tunnel on full blast.
Can't believe I didn't take any photos.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
P
In some kind of shelter I hope.
The wind was brutal and with it being gusty I thought it was worse than Imogen.

I spent the first 5 minutes in a hedge, but as I was getting cold thought sod it and pressed on.
I've never seen anything like it, snow sleet, hail and rain just being pushed into a wind tunnel on full blast.
Can't believe I didn't take any photos.

It really was a weird day of weather for sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those potholes we were discussing last week are killing peopkle. Be careful out there.
I'm not surprised, although I picture myself being thrown under a car having been shipped off the bike rodeo style. :nono:

Yesterday I even found myself pointing out potholes to whichever car happened to be behind me.
Partly out of explaining why I was where I was in the road.

But at least 2 of them were due to a genuine concerns for the car.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Paris - Nice starts on Sunday.

I've created a fantasy league for it if anyone fancies it. Nice and simple, pick and let it run, Velogames again. See link.

http://www.velogames.com/paris-nice/2016/#

League code is: 05000120

Really looking forward to Strade Bianche tomorrow. Promises to be an epic race again over Tuscan sterrato, with a top quality field, and this year there's rain forecast! You'd be mad to miss this race!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
o-KOALA-570.jpgo-KOALA-ADELAIDE-570.jpg

Poor bugger must have been thirsty.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Paris - Nice starts on Sunday.

I've created a fantasy league for it if anyone fancies it. Nice and simple, pick and let it run, Velogames again. See link.

http://www.velogames.com/paris-nice/2016/#

League code is: 05000120

Really looking forward to Strade Bianche tomorrow. Promises to be an epic race again over Tuscan sterrato, with a top quality field, and this year there's rain forecast! You'd be mad to miss this race!
Great stuff 1066.

Having just checked, live coverage of Strade Bianche is only on Eurosport Player, with just a short highlights programme on Eurosport.
I have no idea why they would make that decision, but whoever did needs to be shot.

And finally.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] what were you thinking :lol: :bowdown:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] what were you thinking :lol: :bowdown:

My fault, I'm afraid. Hamilton was going to Bristol yesterday - I told him he should cycle. There was the usual "Should I?" moment, when his eyes glaze over for a moment as he considers his options...

When it appeared that sense would win over, I suggested that he could just cycle 'as far as you can make it...' then get the train. It would appear that this is the option that he chose.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here