Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before maenpaa is given a chance !!!

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I thought he should have done a bit better with it to be honest, but I won't write him off just yet.
I am interested in what kind of goalkeeper we are looking for, will we be looking for an Ankergren type who will only play in an emergency or shall we try and get a better keeper to fight for starting place

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
City clearly were told to put pressure on him when he had the ball at his feet. The thing that impressed me most with City was their hassling and pressure. They didn't give us a moment on the ball. This will be the biggest step change for us is that we won't be able to slowly build from the back.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
so depressing. Happens every time we don't win. There's threads and posts slagging off: Stephens, Hemed, Propper, Ryan, half'n'halves, people who watch players get off the bus, beer queues, clapping the opposition, flags and a dozen other things I've hopefully blocked out. We're gonna lose quite a few matches this season folks, no need to come on here and randomly sound off just to make yourselves feel better.

I slag off the beer queues whether we win, lose or draw :thumbsup:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I find it hilarious that of every report I've seen, none of them have said anythingthing bad about Ryan in the match, and nobody has said anything about Ryan in relation to the second goal, only Dunk, so it shows that our fans really do want to get on the backs of our players

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Yet another bedwetter post! Yesterday we played a half billion £ team who a few weeks ago beat Real Madrid 4-1. Get real people because goalkeepers will always make mistakes. Imho he could do nothing with the 2 conceded. Man City will score be scoring 4/5 goals regular this season against better teams than ours! Time for a reality check I think.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Another pathetic player bashing thread after one game - I despair of our some of our so called supporters.

Spot on! One full debut and he's deemed useless, dear oh dear. Didn't see he was anyway at fault for the first. The second goal I would assume he was trying to make a reaction save based on the attacking player and not Dunk's attempted clearance. Distribution needs a little improvement but I am confident he will only improve

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
He can hardly be blamed for the second goal. Keepers often run on split second reactions. That gets lost when it's your own player who takes the shot.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I find it hilarious that of every report I've seen, none of them have said anythingthing bad about Ryan in the match, and nobody has said anything about Ryan in relation to the second goal, only Dunk, so it shows that our fans really do want to get on the backs of our players

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You didn't listen to the game on Radio Sussex then.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Yer looks like a dud. Think he did ok for Brugges so will give him a chance but missing stockdale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes because Stockdale never made any mistakes for us did he

Some on here have very short memories

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He can hardly be blamed for the second goal. Keepers often run on split second reactions. That gets lost when it's your own player who takes the shot.

I do take your point, but, 6 yards out and you should be ready at all times.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am sure that both Ryan and Ben Roberts will look at the goals and seek to improve on aspects of them on the training ground but give them time.

Yes, I think that's sensible.

Ryan looks sharper than Stocko, decision making wise, but his technique is not quite there on certain things.

I thought his distribution was supposed to be top notch, but yesterday he was a little off.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The thing is the ball shouldn't go through your arms like that, and if it does, it should be met with your body. He did get that a bit wrong, and he did have a chance to save it if he had looked to parry instead of catch it.

But I agree about giving him (and the whole team) time to settle.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yer looks like a dud. Think he did ok for Brugges so will give him a chance but missing stockdale

Do you remember who was to blame for Villa's equaliser last season?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He's a good shot stopper and will keep us in some games , but looks prone to errors. Bit like stockdale. Similar standard.
Compared to Pickering he's good value

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The thing is the ball shouldn't go through your arms like that, and if it does, it should be met with your body. He did get that a bit wrong, and he did have a chance to save it if he had looked to parry instead of catch it.

But I agree about giving him (and the whole team) time to settle.

He moved to his left anticipating a header by their striker and Dunk put it into the space he was moving from. Had he not moved it would have gone straight at him but if the striker had headed the ball he would have scored & we'd slam him for lack of anticipation.
The error was 100% Lewis Dunk's not Ryan's.
As for distribution you have to have players forward to aim for. Like Hemed/Gross/Murray he had little chance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is a forum for opinions and you can easily make a case to be disappointed with Ryan based on what we've seen so far. I will stand by my belief that Stockdale was not good in his first season for us, but he was superb in the last two seasons. To me, Ryan looks good. The orange shirt is horrible, I think that plays a part in forming opinions about him.

I don't think Maenpaa is better, but realistically we wouldn't know because he's never really been challenged. The people who do know are Ben Roberts and Chris Hughton, and they've clearly selected Ryan as first choice and so far, I can understand why. Our goalkeeper isn't why we lost the game yesterday. City being able to buy the best possible players in every position was more the reason.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Niki Mäenpää seems quite content with his lot. He's 32, his country's national keeper and now a Premier League squad member. Model professional. The way he interacts pre-match with the number one keeper, whether that be Stockdale or Ryan, suggests to me he's maybe being groomed for the role of goalkeeping coach. In the meantime, he remains a more than capable deputy and a total asset to the club. IMHO, like.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here