Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Shock! Horror! Premier League 2 club chooses to live stream play-off semi-final

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That's saved the bean counters a few quid. :timmy:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's saved the bean counters a few quid. :timmy:
It'll lose them a few quid more like. If it's on Villa TV a lot of us will be watching, without the bean-counters getting a penny from us. They won't be able to charge STHs a fiver to get into The Amex, and there'll be transport costs getting the team and the support staff up to Birmingham and back. And it's an away match, so less chance of getting to division 1 next season.
Lose/lose for the bean-counters.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Villa also made the game free to attend for STHs, whereas the Albion charged a fiver.
Absolute nonsense, isn't it - wtf are Villa playing at? Never mind a free live stream, sensible clubs like Albion even charge you to watch the highlights of U23s matches (though in a shameful example of sex discrimination, you can watch the highlights of Albion ladies without subscribing)..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I’m probably missing the obvious here but why are the club seemingly obliged to be showing the U23 games in the first place ?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I’m probably missing the obvious here but why are the club seemingly obliged to be showing the U23 games in the first place ?
I may be wrong but.......... wasn't it supposed to be part of the deal when people subscribed to "seagull player" or whatever it's title is nowerdays ? But then again, pre season friendlies were intimated to be shown on player but weren't? My £45.00 just entitles me to a few recorded interviews and match highlights so not great value really especially as I tend to ignore games we get beat in!!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

For a while it was compulsary as a term for joining the Premier league U23 leagues. We broadcast them when we had to, the club have everything set up, and they show extensive highlights on the Seagulls Player. Its not so much as are they obliged now, as to why they don't bother after putting in so much effort to set it up. We are now a multi million pound genereating club, it seems logical this is one of the many services we should offer (and have as a paid feature of segulls world).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

When the club were marketing Seagulls TV last summer, they specifically referred to the live screening of U-23 matches and FA Youth Cup matches - WATCH PRE-SEASON LIVE ON SEAGULLS TV!:-

SeagullsTV2.jpg

(And, just for context, for the last few seasons the club has streamed most if not all of the home U-23 matches and any FA Youth Cup matches staged at the Amex).

Personally, this was a major reason for subscribing to Seagulls TV for this season.

The explanations (such as they are) offered this season for not providing this coverage seem inconsistent and factually challenged.

But, apart from any obligation per se, it is frustrating that many other clubs seem willing to broadcast these matches, often free to everyone (not just club TV subscribers), and yet Albion have taken a backward step and STOPPED offering this coverage.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What date is the final? I've got a horrible feeling it's the same night as Man City away.

When is the game ? Has it been announced yet?

As mentioned earlier, I believe the final is due to take place some time over this coming weekend (May 4 - 7).

Aston Villa play the U-23 Premier League Cup Final on Friday May 4 - Premier League Cup Final: Date set for Villa U23s' showdown with Swansea

That would suggest that the play-off final could well be set for Monday May 7 (but no official word yet).

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I may be wrong but.......... wasn't it supposed to be part of the deal when people subscribed to "seagull player" or whatever it's title is nowerdays ? But then again, pre season friendlies were intimated to be shown on player but weren't? My £45.00 just entitles me to a few recorded interviews and match highlights so not great value really especially as I tend to ignore games we get beat in!!

For a while it was compulsary as a term for joining the Premier league U23 leagues. We broadcast them when we had to, the club have everything set up, and they show extensive highlights on the Seagulls Player. Its not so much as are they obliged now, as to why they don't bother after putting in so much effort to set it up. We are now a multi million pound genereating club, it seems logical this is one of the many services we should offer (and have as a paid feature of segulls world).

When the club were marketing Seagulls TV last summer, they specifically referred to the live screening of U-23 matches and FA Youth Cup matches - WATCH PRE-SEASON LIVE ON SEAGULLS TV!:-

View attachment 96548

(And, just for context, for the last few seasons the club has streamed most if not all of the home U-23 matches and any FA Youth Cup matches staged at the Amex).

Personally, this was a major reason for subscribing to Seagulls TV for this season.

The explanations (such as they are) offered this season for not providing this coverage seem inconsistent and factually challenged.

But, apart from any obligation per se, it is frustrating that many other clubs seem willing to broadcast these matches, often free to everyone (not just club TV subscribers), and yet Albion have taken a backward step and STOPPED offering this coverage.

Thank you for replies , iv'e had a look at Ifollow's generic terms and conditions dated 6th April 2017 , and whilst being pretty vague on the actual coverage (section 2.3 in the document) , you will get for your money i can't find anything in the document that says the U23 games would be streamed , perhaps the club itself was mislead into what they were getting , it's difficult to tell from the outside exactly what's transpired , i'm erring on the side of the club here for no other reason than i trust their integrity more than i do Ifollow , who from a brief delve into their business have had thousands of mis sold product complaints from fans from many clubs concerning this matter , though strangely some clubs fans seem to have benefited from the subscription looking at the feedback .

The old version of Seagulls Player was not perfect but it was infinitely more fan friendly when it came to the U23s and looking at the content pretty much everything else about it was better , without knowing for sure i'm guessing the club had to use this new system ? can't imagine they would have gone into this if they didn't have to , i'm not sure anybody will renew their subscription for a basic non service , as i know i wouldn't until it delivered what it being Ifollow or the club promised . I will watch with interest in the close season to see if this matter is looked into any further , the U23s and Women's teams are doing fantastically well and it would be nice to actually see how they're progressing a little more than just 2 minutes of goals only highlights .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here