Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Did the Horsham 10k this morning. A new PB of 54.28 so 42 seconds faster than my previous best time for the Brighton Phoenix 10k. Last year I did Horsham in 58.53 so 4.25 quicker this time round :) . Next race is Worthing and that will be much flatter than Horsham so fingers crossed for another PB! I am loving this running lark at the moment!

https://www.strava.com/activities/576891347

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When the Worthing 10K is being run I will be on a Level One coaching course for junior football........................................in Worthing. There had better be some practicals.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The running thread has understandably gone a bit quiet since the events of Monday evening. So here's a related question: when have you ever used running as therapy - eg to get over the worst luck ever to befall a football team (or even something more serious) or just to clear your mind to help you make a decision?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I continued training for the Brighton Half 7 years ago after my Mum was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. It was therapeutic.

The only other time was when I made a quick decision that running was the best option to escape a fat, Neanderthal, sheep sh*gging, thug, and his mates back, in 1997. The Great Escape at Hereford in more ways then one.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I continued training for the Brighton Half 7 years ago after my Mum was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. It was therapeutic.

The only other time was when I made a quick decision that running was the best option to escape a fat, Neanderthal, sheep sh*gging, thug, and his mates back, in 1997. The Great Escape at Hereford in more ways then one.

My mum died last week which kind of prompted the question.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Sorry to hear that. A time to run off the pace perhaps and contemplate.
Bizarrely I spent the day after my Mum's funeral in Lille at an Iggy Pop concert. We had booked 6 months before and decided we may as well go ahead with it. That turned out to be therapeutic.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
parkrun starts in Worthing on 11 June.

http://tinyurl.com/j5nwz5t
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

I'll do it occasionally once the season starts again.
Early drive down from Essex, shower and change at Mum's in Rustington before the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sorry to hear that......

I use running as stress relief all the time. Long jogs on the trails, especially the SDW, are just fantastic for clearing the mind. Everything just seems better after a run.

Sort of connected, I have just been appointed a Mental Heath Ambassador for UK Athletics (representing my club). Aim is to increase promotion of running as therapy for mental illness. I've got fair bit of research to do and a plan to put together but I thought the concept was brilliant. It's a new initiative recently launched by UKA. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sorry to hear that......

I use running as stress relief all the time. Long jogs on the trails, especially the SDW, are just fantastic for clearing the mind. Everything just seems better after a run.

Sort of connected, I have just been appointed a Mental Heath Ambassador for UK Athletics (representing my club). Aim is to increase promotion of running as therapy for mental illness. I've got fair bit of research to do and a plan to put together but I thought the concept was brilliant. It's a new initiative recently launched by UKA. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Sounds like a great idea. Big thumbs up to you for taking this on.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
parkrun starts in Worthing on 11 June.

http://tinyurl.com/j5nwz5t
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

I'll do it occasionally once the season starts again.
Early drive down from Essex, shower and change at Mum's in Rustington before the game.

Good news to those us (might be just me!) who live in Worthing and currently have to go to Brighton or Bognor to do a Parkrun. Should be a quick course and might take the pressure off Hove and Preston Park, maybe. There seems to have been many more runners around the town in the last few years so I think this will be very well supported.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm going to my first RunTOBeer event on Monday. It literally involves joining a large group for a 3/5/10/15k run which ends up in a pub, or in this case a beer festival. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm going to my first RunTOBeer event on Monday. It literally involves joining a large group for a 3/5/10/15k run which ends up in a pub, or in this case a beer festival. :thumbsup:

My club does a pub run every Friday.....5 miles or so, easy paced, starts and finishes at a pub with food/drink after. Great way to spend a summer evening. One of the pubs does a bbq for us

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry to hear that......

I only got into running to help my mental health issues, made a massive difference in my life and I love running now. It's smashing therapy and I recommend it to all.
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] - parkrun has come to you, no excuses!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I only got into running to help my mental health issues, made a massive difference in my life and I love running now. It's smashing therapy and I recommend it to all.

I never realised you started for those reasons. Well done. You've got excellent performances behind you and can run a marathon with almost no preparation. Great that you see running as you do. Also good to bump into you on the bus Monday evening with us full of expectation........ and me Guinness....

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Really sorry to hear that GNT - my condolences.

I am sure getting out running in the fresh air up on the Downs or by the sea is therapeutic in some way.

Conversely my mood can certainly affect my running - I remember one Friday lunchtime having a blazing row over the phone with a contract project manager. I went out afterwards and set a pb for 5km along the sea front!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I never realised you started for those reasons. Well done. You've got excellent performances behind you and can run a marathon with almost no preparation. Great that you see running as you do. Also good to bump into you on the bus Monday evening with us full of expectation........ and me Guinness....

Yeah, I was consistently waking up at 5am every day because of a certain girl who would invade my dreams. I couldn't sleep, so I got out for an early run. I lived very close to the Promenade so it was the obvious choice really. I quickly got into it and it escalated from there, I started running every lunch time at work and for a while I was running a few miles every morning then a few more at lunch. One day I was up and out before 4am, I ran 14 miles and then went to work. Another day I'd done a 30odd mile cycle before an 8am start. For a couple of weeks I was working 6am-6pm every day. That in itself did more harm in a way, the girl was someone I work with. Well, her and the girl from Swindon combined really. It was a negative which turned into a positive and now almost a reliance. Work has been stressful recently which ironically is having the opposite effect, I can't wake up in the morning at all so I'm consistently late but can't wait to leave and I've even found myself doing the classic thing of breaking up the day with extended toilet breaks. I took Friday off partly because of the Wednesday game, partly because I was playing a football tournament in Leicester on saturday and partly because I had to get away. I nearly called in sick monday, I was fine and would have run at least a half marathon distance but I got my head down and soldiered on. I've been in a bad place mentally for a few weeks, not the worst place, but pretty bad so I shall be running a lot more in the coming weeks but with something genuine to look forward to, San Sebastian Marathon in November is being combined with a weekend in the Basque part of Spain with a couple of friends.

Ironically, I tend to find that when I'm in a negative place I tend to post more on here and I'm far more inflammatory than I mean to be. Inevitably there's a consequence and it's a negative cycle. It's time for me to shut up a bit, take a rest from getting involved and try to disengage the hyperactivity in my mind.

Lastly, you held the Guinness well but your mate was definitely showing the signs!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

Worthing? Oh shit, this means I actually have to do this now! Although I have got the gear but still sadly no idea?!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here