Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fox hunting

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Again you are only associating those taking part in hunts as those in pink coats riding a horse - there are/were far more people taking part in hunts that are not in this category.

I think some are a bit too generalising however, if you took out those that ride with the hunt then I doubt there would be much appetite from a Tory government to repeal the Act. The question then is who are those that ride. Generally, I suspect that the majority (whilst not toffs in the true sense of the word) are certainly the more wealthy in society. Yes you might get a few like Junior but the majority are not on the national average wage!

As for hunting itself, I just wish those that advocate a return are actually honest enough to admit it has nothing to do with controlling the number of pests but is about having fun.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
http://www.vet-wildlifemanagement.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=32

This should quieten all those who believe hunting foxes with hounds is inhumane.

As others have said, that is only an opinion, not scientific fact. It is also only supported by about 3% of vet (540 out of 18000+) and it would be interesting to see what proportion of their livelihood is derived from hunting and/or equine practice?

It is also comical to suggest that the stress of a fox fleeing for it's life is no different to the stresses an athlete endures. As far as I'm aware, athletes don't enter a race with the fear of dying if they come anywhere less than first! He also comments Neither wild nor domestic animals appear to have any premonition of death. No shit sherlock! They may not have an 'understanding' of death per se but they certainly have a fear of injury. If they didn't, then why to they take flight?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I grew up in the country, we had chickens, we made our hen house fox proof, it isnt that difficult as most of us are intellectually superior to foxes
Hoorah for you! Sadly one of the local Game Keepers who lost over a thousand pheasant chicks to foxes clearly needs your superior intelligence to assist him making a fox proof run, send me your card and I'll forward it you could make a few bob.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hoorah for you! Sadly one of the local Game Keepers who lost over a thousand pheasant chicks to foxes clearly needs your superior intelligence to assist him making a fox proof run, send me your card and I'll forward it you could make a few bob.
How many foxes? Call the hunt they will get rid of them, one a week, they will be gone in no time.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I actually went down to the Crawley and Horsham meet on Boxing Day and I was surprised at the numbers down there both mounted and on foot.

I had a chat with the master of the hunt and he said the hunt is becoming more and more popular year on year partly because they now chase a laid down scent rather than the fox, he also said that even before the ban they rarely caught the fox.

The C&H had some members prosecuted a few years back, which did paint the hunt in a bad light, which they had gradually overcome.
He doesn't really mind the ban and says it has been the making of his hunt

He was keen to point out that fox numbers do need controlling and shooting them is difficult as there are a lot of shotgun holders around but not so many firearms and to shoot a fox at distance a shotgun is no good.

He was quite posh, I however am not but I certainly didn't feel the class divide.

Will it feck! Hope you fall off your horse and get trampled with long term paralysis being the desired outcome!

I'd love it if you climbed up on the Amex roof - and fell off! Would be even better if on pay per view!

So when are you doing your sky dive, brave boy?

You were going to jump from the Amex roof (without safety harness -hopefully!).

I'm not anti toff - I just don't like cvnts! And you are a complete cvnt! Got it now?

Wishful thinking then on my part (and a fair few others).

You haven't got any! Not be use you're a toff, because you're a cvnt! Get the message!

Lance Corporal cvnt can't answer that. Not because he's a 'toff'. Because he's a complete cvnt!

What's happening soft lad? Been a bit quiet for a couple of hours.

Thanks, that's a really good, balanced view.

But junior's still a cvnt!
Having read the entire thread, regardless of the rights or wrongs of Fox Hunting, you've not really added anything to this thread, you've clearly singled Junior out for abuse.

Calling him a c##t over and over again doesn't really make you come across very well.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Still no answer about the hounds. But I'm not surprised. I suspect like most meat eaters the participants don't really care what has to happen behind the scenes.

Again above, all the focus on the fox. Numbers need to be controlled etc.. No argument with that but the breeding and early extermination of thousands of dogs to do so ?

Why not let the dogs into the wild then ? I'm sure they would catch more.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Still no answer about the hounds. But I'm not surprised. I suspect like most meat eaters the participants don't really care what has to happen behind the scenes.

Again above, all the focus on the fox. Numbers need to be controlled etc.. No argument with that but the breeding and early extermination of thousands of dogs to do so ?

Not sure what happens to the hounds, but having been around them the other day they are certainly very friendly dogs so I'd be surprised if they couldn't be rehomed, they were quite smelly though :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Isnt there a similar story with competing greyhounds, although I have been told they make great pets.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Isnt being bred to 'enhance' any human endevour a problem for most species ...

Of course, I'm just always surprised at the ignorance surrounding animals used in sport.

I also find the reluctance of those supporting fox hunting to talk about it annoying. They've heard all the fox complaints before.

I'm quite agnostic towards it in truth. I'd like a bit more honesty in the debate. It's quite an easy question isn't it ? How many hounds did your hunt put down last year ?

If hunting with dogs is effective (as argued) than surely discussion of the above has to form part of the argument.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Of course, I'm just always surprised at the ignorance surrounding animals used in sport.

I also find the reluctance of those supporting fox hunting to talk about it annoying. They've heard all the fox complaints before.

I'm quite agnostic towards it in truth. I'd like a bit more honesty in the debate. It's quite an easy question isn't it ? How many hounds did your hunt put down last year ?

If hunting with dogs is effective (as argued) than surely discussion of the above has to form part of the argument.

Someone somewhere has agreed that they needs a continuous fox cull, I suspect lorry loads are shot monthly, many maimed and having a wretched death, perhaps worse than with hounds, this actually saddens me, but I have to assume this is a necessary evil ( the reduction in their population ).

If that is the starting point then I reluctantly think that perhaps targeting fox hunts and in many circumstance with a prejudice against the perceived class of those participating is hypocritical, why not protest against the marksman or the decision makers that assure us all it is necessary.

I cannot understand that those vehemently against fox hunting are then not aware of other practices that perhaps have a greater impact on animal cruelty and if not why not.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Or he could just do his job properly, the gamekeepers I knew never had much of a problem with foxes

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree with the "cruel and barbaric" view.

But the main thing which gets me is people who claimed that the ban was down to the "politics of envy". If I wanted to charge around the countryside on a horse and wearing a silly red coat, I would order my life to enable me to do so. But I have no desire to do so whatsoever.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Someone somewhere has agreed that they needs a continuous fox cull, I suspect lorry loads are shot monthly, many maimed and having a wretched death, perhaps worse than with hounds, this actually saddens me, but I have to assume this is a necessary evil ( the reduction in their population ).

If that is the starting point then I reluctantly think that perhaps targeting fox hunts and in many circumstance with a prejudice against the perceived class of those participating is hypocritical, why not protest against the marksman or the decision makers that assure us all it is necessary.

I cannot understand that those vehemently against fox hunting are then not aware of other practices that perhaps have a greater impact on animal cruelty and if not why not.

Again focusing on the fox !

Really just like someone to explain how breeding and routinely exterminating thousands of dogs to kill a few foxes is the most effective way.

But it isn't about controlling foxes is it ? No-one in their right mind would come up with that.

It a sport. At least attempt to defend it on that basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here