Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] £100m Government Plan To End Rough Sleeping

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Im quite sure that they dont think "right , lets try heroin shall we, and i'll be the only heroin user who doesnt end up a skanky loser with no teeth" , i have sympathy with a.lot of cases , but skagheads ? come on , there is ONE end to that journey and you would have to be from mars not to be aware of that.

You are wrong. With support they can turn their lives around; I have sat on the Drug Rehabilitation Requirement panel who oversee addicts (95% heroin addicts) on a rehabilitation program and, although there's only something like a 25% success rate, with many people on their second or third go, when you see someone who is turning it round (and these are court "regulars" who have been up dozens of times) and has a sparkle about them for the first time in many years, it is genuinely heart-warming.
Quite often there is a catalyst that gives them a reason to turn it round, a new relationship, a child, a parental reconciliation.
Of course the down side is seeing someone you thought was making it back in the mire but that's no reason not to keep trying.
Please don't write the people off, with support they can get off drugs and become valued and contributing members of society.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How very nice of the party that INTRODUCED THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!

As opposed to the Labour Party who introduced tuition fees, which has led to the debt being so high these days. We could go on all day ......

How about this .... instead of everything becoming a political binfest, why not applaud any effort to improve our society, our country, and get behind it. Surely we would all love to see the end of people being left homeless and living on the streets. It should not happen in this country. We are a wealthy 1st World Country who should be able to ensure there are refuges, affordable housing, support groups, and to get to the heart of the problem, far better mental health care.

Anyone, May, Corbyn, or whatever dopey fecker comes next, who wants to try and do something about this, is at least trying to do something about it. If you have a better idea, let's hear it, but can we stop with this whole negativity of every idea that is come up with by the "other party". Whichever party you are, STOP just slagging off everything the other party does. If it's a good idea, or simply an idea to address a problem we need to address, let's embrace it and show some positivity people.
[MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] - this is not specifically aimed at you, I could have picked any number of posts on any number of threads, it just happens to be at this moment that I could hold it in no longer.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You are wrong. With support they can turn their lives around; I have sat on the Drug Rehabilitation Requirement panel who oversee addicts (95% heroin addicts) on a rehabilitation program and, although there's only something like a 25% success rate, with many people on their second or third go, when you see someone who is turning it round (and these are court "regulars" who have been up dozens of times) and has a sparkle about them for the first time in many years, it is genuinely heart-warming.
Quite often there is a catalyst that gives them a reason to turn it round, a new relationship, a child, a parental reconciliation.
Of course the down side is seeing someone you thought was making it back in the mire but that's no reason not to keep trying.
Please don't write the people off, with support they can get off drugs and become valued and contributing members of society.

im not writing them off , i dont doubt thir lives can be turned round , im questioning why they start in the first place, helen fvcking keller can see there is only one end to their journey , even those lucky enough to get off it will end up as a skanky loser in the gutter before they do, so why not keep away from the sh1t in the first place ? please (if you were going to) spare me the crap about impressionable youngsters as well

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
im not writing them off , i dont doubt thir lives can be turned round , im questioning why they start in the first place, helen fvcking keller can see there is only one end to their journey , even those lucky enough to get off it will end up as a skanky loser in the gutter before they do, so why not keep away from the sh1t in the first place ? please (if you were going to) spare me the crap about impressionable youngsters as well

It's mostly to do with family backgrounds. To be honest, it's far too complex to go into on a thread but in a nutshell, a lot of young people do not have as much of a choice as most people think. Sometimes literally. It's a dark world out there.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The people I work with, man, some of their backgrounds and childhoods are shocking. I think half the battle is that people are simply unaware of the trauma some people go through.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Im quite sure that they dont think "right , lets try heroin shall we, and i'll be the only heroin user who doesnt end up a skanky loser with no teeth" ,

I can't speak for every heroin user but that's exactly what happened to two friends of mine 40+ years ago. Their attitude was "it's a bit of a laugh and I won't end up addicted like those losers." One died of an overdose at 17 and the other has spent most of his life in and out of prison - he may well be dead now, I haven't seen him for nearly 20 years. I agree that it's crazy that people could think it won't happen to them, but it's clear that some do.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As opposed to the Labour Party who introduced tuition fees, which has led to the debt being so high these days. We could go on all day ......

How about this .... instead of everything becoming a political binfest, why not applaud any effort to improve our society, our country, and get behind it.
What, on NSC?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Literally type into Google - UK homelessness graph. It shows it was highest in 2004.

graph-1_582_272_c1.png

https://www.housing.org.uk/blog/the-fall-and-rise-of-homelessness-in-the-uk/

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No-one ever thinks "right, I'm going to quit work, get on heroin and go live in a doorway"
I've heard a lot of stories over the years when people have fallen foul of the law and in almost all cases there is some sort of trauma that leads people into homelessness; a relationship breakdown, job loss, thrown out by parents and dozens of other reasons. If there is a common factor it's that people who end up homeless often have less coping abilities or addiction issues and that can lead to bad decisions on top of bad decisions.
Once the relative stability of a home has gone then it's an easy slide into addiction and crime. One thing I am sure of is that sending a heroin addict to jail for a month after his 50th shoplifting conviction is neither just nor helpful (to either him or the victim).

That's the various charities who were helping to train people for work, getting them off drugs etc were such a great idea, and could be incorporated into the sentencing.
Government funding for these great programmes has been withdrawn over the years, so there isn't as much help available now.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
One thing the government could do is reverse the policy brought in by Labour (who I otherwise tend to support) that Housing Benefit be paid to tenants not landlords; In principle it was a good idea, letting people manage thier own money but, in reality, some people are too chaotic and disorganised to prioritise spending.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not 2020

Not 2022

Not 2025

but 2027, that's commitment.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

How about this .... instead of everything becoming a political binfest, why not applaud any effort to improve our society, our country, and get behind it. Surely we would all love to see the end of people being left homeless and living on the streets. It should not happen in this country. We are a wealthy 1st World Country who should be able to ensure there are refuges, affordable housing, support groups, and to get to the heart of the problem, far better mental health care.

Anyone, May, Corbyn, or whatever dopey fecker comes next, who wants to try and do something about this, is at least trying to do something about it. If you have a better idea, let's hear it, but can we stop with this whole negativity of every idea that is come up with by the "other party". Whichever party you are, STOP just slagging off everything the other party does. If it's a good idea, or simply an idea to address a problem we need to address, let's embrace it and show some positivity people.

[MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] - this is not specifically aimed at you, I could have picked any number of posts on any number of threads, it just happens to be at this moment that I could hold it in no longer.

Depends on whether it's a workable idea or just another quick fix to pacify the electorate.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This is a sick joke.

What fraction is £100 million of the amount this Government has removed from services that had direct and indirect responsibility for keeping people off the streets?

It's 1/10th of the amount May used to bribe the DUP to save her own skin for instance.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here