Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock moves to Reading {CONFIRMED}

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
£1million and off the wage bill is a good deal for us. The decision to give him an extended contract last season was very strange but was probably with one eye on potential relegation. It didn't happen, so we no longer require an upper Championship striker.

The quality in the squad has moved on with the investment. It's a shame for Baldock that he was injured at the start of last season, if he hadn't been he would have had a chance in the team and we would have seen one way or the other whether he could step up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£1million and off the wage bill is a good deal for us. The decision to give him an extended contract last season was very strange but was probably with one eye on potential relegation. It didn't happen, so we no longer require an upper Championship striker.

There may have been an existing contractual clause triggering a new contract upon promotion. I have no inside knowledge, just making a guess,

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I wish Sam the best, but can't help but wish he was going to ANY other Championship Club than Reading.

I have an unhealthy hatred for that cess pit of a club. Even with Sam in their ranks I can't help for anything except despair and harrowing pain for anyone associated with Reading FC.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has Moore had a medical, or is he about to?

Not sure what you're point is. It seems we want him, reading wanted more than we were seemingly willing to pay and he's now handed in a transfer request. If the haddock transfer eases the other over the line all well and good.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure what you're point is.
My first point was that I haven't been following the Moore thread, and wondered if it's further advanced than I realised. My second point, given that I now see he's not about to join us, is that Sam to Reading won't affect the Moore fee at all, unless it's done at the same time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As an aside, is it only me that finds the 1980s Cup Final song "Spurs are on their way to Wembley" on repeat in their head whenever they see this thread title?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree, this is an absolute bargain.
I suppose that if there are concerns how much he can play because of past injuries, and if his wages are higher than usual for a Championship striker, that would affect his transfer fee a lot. As a player though, he's very good at Championship level. 'decent mid range championship player' he is not.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I suppose that if there are concerns how much he can play because of past injuries, and if his wages are higher than usual for a Championship striker, that would affect his transfer fee a lot. As a player though, he's very good at Championship level. 'decent mid range championship player' he is not.

Yes. And as we all know Tony is no mug so am confident it’s the right deal for us

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As an aside, is it only me that finds the 1980s Cup Final song "Spurs are on their way to Wembley" on repeat in their head whenever they see this thread title?
Yes.

As an aside, did they sing that every other week last season?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
There may have been an existing contractual clause triggering a new contract upon promotion. I have no inside knowledge, just making a guess,

Even if there wasn't a clause, it was good business to extend his contract. If we had gone down, he'd have been needed for our first team - better the devil you know rather than bringing in someone else for a significant outlay. We stayed up, so we're cashing in. We'll not get his market value but we'll collect a fee and save on his wages so it's a good deal for us, a great deal for Reading and for the player himself he'll get to participate more on a week to week basis without having to hope for a place on the bench.

He'll get 5-10 goals for Reading, depending on how their team perform this season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I agree that he was very good at Championship level, but operhaps we need to remember that that was then, and this is now. We were last in the Championship the season before last, so effectively two years ago now.

A lot has happened since then, Sam was out with a long term injury for half of last season, and he has played very little football since. Perhaps there are concerns that he isn't quite the same player.

Just playing devil's advocate you understand.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I remember a game when Akpom went off and Baldock replaced him. Baldock ran and ran and put plenty of effort in. Akpom was a disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here