Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How does the 25 man Squad work then?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Am I right in saying that Shane Duffy counts as a home grown player. The club records show that he was born in Northern Ireland. I believe that those born south or north of the border are allowed to play for whichever country they wish and he opted to play for the Republic?

Place of birth has nothing to do with home grown status, last season Tim Krul was a home grown player. Home Grown status is for any player, regardless of nationality, who spends at least 36 months registered to a club(s) associated with the FA or Welsh FA prior to the 21st birthday.

Duffy came through the ranks at Everton (joined them at 16) so that qualifies him as home grown.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Place of birth has nothing to do with home grown status, last season Tim Krul was a home grown player. Home Grown status is for any player, regardless of nationality, who spends at least 36 months registered to a club(s) associated with the FA or Welsh FA prior to the 21st birthday.

Duffy came through the ranks at Everton (joined them at 16) so that qualifies him as home grown.

Murray wasn't classed as home grown because he went to America as a youth, but has had that changed this summer.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Murray wasn't classed as home grown because he went to America as a youth, but has had that changed this summer.

The club managed to prove he spent the required number of months registered to Carlisle and Workington (why no one else has previously tried this I don’t know).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It seems obvious that a player probably a full back, will go pn loan or permanent transfer to e European side as their window is open to end of August. Why do EUFA or FIFA not insist on all being the same.date for opening and closing of the window

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It seems obvious that a player probably a full back, will go pn loan or permanent transfer to e European side as their window is open to end of August. Why do EUFA or FIFA not insist on all being the same.date for opening and closing of the window
....or to a Championship side, so you could ask the same question of the EFL too.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
English Premier League currently requires a minimum of 6 "home-grown" players in the match list of 18, which is expected to rise to 7 and additionally require a "club-grown" player in 2018-19.

I haven't checked the accuracy of this? This isgood for Dunk and March, and might get youngsters a place on the bench?

Norwood may very well get a number and a place in the squad at least until January. To comply with the rules with injuries and suspensions.

PS: I never understood why we signed Suttner in the first place? He is the same age as Bong, and the younger Bernardo fits the bill.

The first bit is utter rubbish. There is no requirement for home grown players named in a match day squad only in the Premier League squad of 25.

Where is it from? We certainly had games last season where we didn’t name 6 HGPs in the match day 18.

Greg Dyke has often said he proposes to change the Home Grown criteria and that may include a reduction in qualifying age and also a possibility of requiring at least 2 of the home grown players to have come through the youth system, but I don’t think there is anything planned on number that need to be named in the match day squad.

At the time we signed Suttner we didn’t have Bernardo so why you’d bring him up I have no idea. He was signed as we needed another left back, no one expected Bong to step up as well as he did and I reckon those in the club are as surprised as the fans, but Suttner has done nothing to let us down and if he does miss out on the 25 I will feel a little sorry for him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This thread is amusing.

I wonder how many years it is going to take people to understand the HGP and 25 man squad thing?��

Considering it has been changed again this year, I'm sure you are fully conversant with every aspect of it.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So when TF is it getting announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The first bit is utter rubbish. There is no requirement for home grown players named in a match day squad only in the Premier League squad of 25.

Where is it from? We certainly had games last season where we didn’t name 6 HGPs in the match day 18.

Greg Dyke has often said he proposes to change the Home Grown criteria and that may include a reduction in qualifying age and also a possibility of requiring at least 2 of the home grown players to have come through the youth system, but I don’t think there is anything planned on number that need to be named in the match day squad.

At the time we signed Suttner we didn’t have Bernardo so why you’d bring him up I have no idea. He was signed as we needed another left back, no one expected Bong to step up as well as he did and I reckon those in the club are as surprised as the fans, but Suttner has done nothing to let us down and if he does miss out on the 25 I will feel a little sorry for him.

Yep, I deleted this. I didn't intend to post before I had checked it. Sticky keyboard.

I feel sorry for the player who is excluded. Suttner has done nothing to excite me and I thought tended to dive in when he should not be so rash. Schelotto went AWOL a bit and it was necessary to get Bruno back in, who should never have been rested at Wembley.

Appreciate the younger age group of the new signings.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Did they let him on it though or just leave him at the kerbside?

From the past in the seventies. When Jo Kinnear lost us a vital promotion game at the Old Den, the Albion team bus left Fred Binney behind.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are you sure? Transfer window has changed.
Yes - I'm sure it is submitted today.

Yes - I'm sure the PL will publish all the squads on Sept 1st when they are finalised.

I am not sure if the albion will announce the initial squad they submitted today - but we'll know 18 of them tomorrow for sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here