Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For **** sake, COG..(Barnsley forum)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Pah! Who cares. We'll never play them again.

What?

:lolol:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Oh Dear
Some Barnsley fan’s are upset over COG comments. :facepalm:

“I will always give everything, no matter who I’m playing for, but having played for Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: in the past, I know what it’s like to play for a big club – and Brighton certainly fall into that category.
For **** sake, COG..

http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?213188-For-****-sake-COG

JamDrop
I don't know that's it the fact that he called Brighton big that is the problem, it's that he named 2 previous clubs as examples and not us.

Whitey
“I will always give everything, no matter who I’m playing for, but having played for Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday in the past, I know what it’s like to play for a big club – and Brighton certainly fall into that category.
There was no need for the Leicester and Wednesday part of his comments. I don't really care, but I saw it and thought it was worth sharing. and Brighton aren't a big club. Never have been, and unlikely to ever be.

Jimmy cricket
Looking at things in the here and now is perhaps not the way to look at things though. I mean Swansea were beastly out of business 20 years ago. Who knows where they will be 20 years from now. Having spent a lot of time round Brighton for family reasons. It's not a particularly fervent place for football. They have even had to basically invent a rivalry against Palace to find a derby.

Conan Troutman
In 1997-8 we had a bigger average gate than Brighton, Cardiff, Hull and Swansea combined.
That's massive.

Edited for you.

Barnsley, I remember them.

I recall a spotty little teenager giving it the big one how we were all going to die of aids while safe on the Lewes bound train ramp.

I suspect he didn't see the copper walking up behind him.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
All clubs have highs and lows. We are no different and neither are Barnsley. At this minute in time i would suggest we are an attractive proposition for certain reasons for certain players. Time changes football clubs. For us our recent history makes us attractive. All this my club is bigger than your club is just rubbish.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Isn't ever club in Yorkshire massive!

Yes, it's the law. Every Yorkshire club is Massive :lolol:

Actually, for fun, can anyone name a club in Yorkshire that isn't MASSIVE ? Other than York City, of course...

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
97-98 - they were in prem - we weren't even playing at 'home' - stupid stat

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Why do some get so upperty about a club's perceived 'bigness'.

It's a very subjective and abstract concept, particularly when ancient history starts being dragged into it.

Couldn't agree more. Looks like Barnsley fans are as obsessed about how big their club is as some of ours are.

Barnsley are not a big club and neither are we. We haven't even played top flight football for 31 years (and only four seasons, in total, in 103 years). Our large crowds are over a very short period of time. If we get promoted and can and maintain our crowds then maybe we will be a big club. But not now. Not for a long time.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I think a clubs "bigness" is sometimes dependent on their trajectory. It could be argued that with the investment in the AMEX, the new training facilities and our consistent top half finishes in the championship over the last three seasons that we are an actively upwardly mobile club ergo we are, or becoming, a "big club". Then compare this to Barnsley who have stuggled in the Championship and have now been relagated to a lower division...

For what its worth I don't think we are a "big" club and it doesn't have any effect what so ever on my desire to support the club.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think a clubs "bigness" is sometimes dependent on their trajectory. It could be argued that with the investment in the AMEX, the new training facilities and our consistent top half finishes in the championship over the last three seasons that we are an actively upwardly mobile club ergo we are, or becoming, a "big club". Then compare this to Barnsley who have stuggled in the Championship and have now been relagated to a lower division...

For what its worth I don't think we are a "big" club and it doesn't have any effect what so ever on my desire to support the club.

On sheer potential,we are set up as a club to prosper in the modern era-24th Largest ground in England remember..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
oh dear
some barnsley fan’s are upset over cog comments. :facepalm:

“i will always give everything, no matter who i’m playing for, but having played for leicester city and sheffield wednesday in the past, i know what it’s like to play for a big club – and brighton certainly fall into that category.
For **** sake, cog..

http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?213188-for-****-sake-cog

jamdrop
i don't know that's it the fact that he called brighton big that is the problem, it's that he named 2 previous clubs as examples and not us.

Whitey
“i will always give everything, no matter who i’m playing for, but having played for leicester city and sheffield wednesday in the past, i know what it’s like to play for a big club – and brighton certainly fall into that category.
There was no need for the leicester and wednesday part of his comments. I don't really care, but i saw it and thought it was worth sharing. And brighton aren't a big club. Never have been, and unlikely to ever be.

Jimmy cricket
looking at things in the here and now is perhaps not the way to look at things though. I mean swansea were beastly out of business 20 years ago. Who knows where they will be 20 years from now. Having spent a lot of time round brighton for family reasons. It's not a particularly fervent place for football. They have even had to basically invent a rivalry against palace to find a derby.

Conan troutman
in 1997-8 we had a bigger average gate than brighton, cardiff, hull and swansea combined.
That was massive.

edited to make correct

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I still see clubs like Wigan and Reading as tinpot (even though they have been above us in that time)as that is what they were when i was growing up.

This. A generation of kids probably think Man City and Chelsea are the biggest clubs in Britain.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Isn't ever club in Yorkshire massive!

Yes, it's the law. Every Yorkshire club is Massive :lolol:

Actually, for fun, can anyone name a club in Yorkshire that isn't MASSIVE ? Other than York City, of course...

:lolol:

It's a Yorkshire obsession. Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: and Leeds in particular would rather be thought of as massive than beat the other one 3-0. It's almost like they're compensating for something..........

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Barnsley aren't a big club. We're not a big club. They can't think that a year of getting spanked in the Prem makes them a big club. Neither will it make us a big club when it happens to us.

They're on a downward spiral, we are on an upward one - most clubs go through this and we will doubtless do it ourselves sometimes in the future. Having said that, their knowledge of football is a bit poor; locality doesn't necessarily equate to rivalry.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We're not a big club in the eyes of most fans, and understandably so.

However, in the eyes of a player who has spent a season playing in front of 8,500 every week, how controversial is it really when that player moves to a club playing in the same division but in front of 26-27,000 every week, to call his new club a big club?

And they've got a bit of a cheek talking about us manufacturing a rivalry with Palace. They consider Sheff Weds their big rivalry game - a club who barely give a tuppenny toss about them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here