Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£10m for Ulloa!!!! **Official that Leo has gone**

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
One which I didn't make, my comment "or be able to command top dollar for our players. " would be clearer if i had put ."...or we should be able to.....".

I cant be the only one fed upp with seeing our players go for peanuts?

Serious question. why can a club like Southampton command top wack for players and get it? Even when in Div 1, and yet we and palace even who are all about the same size get laughed at? Ulloa and Zaha seem to have bucked the trend but its still a valid question?

Maybe being full of it is the way to give the right expectations of what to bid? Like Poker? sometimes Deluded arguments serve a purpose.

Because over the last 5 years or so the quality of the players they've sold far exceeds what Brighton have had on offer.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sorry to see him go but it was the same when Ward left Dean Saunders Mark Lawerson Gary Stevens Pig etc etc but life goes on at the Football club. Let's enjoy another year of Brighton and Hove Albion History moving forward and lets get behind the new Manager.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The Leicester local paper states that the amount payed is just over 7 million.

It probably is....... then as an example of what MIGHT be the clauses 1.5M if they stay up, 500k if he scores 15 goals, 500k if he plays 30 games, 500k if they stay up in their second season.

As I said over week ago I believe the gaurenteed money then was mostly spread over the next 2 years and we waited to force hand and ensure we got the 7M up front. The clauses stuff is pure guesswork though.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

Which players have we sold for peanuts recently? Noone looked like a good deal. Bridcutt 2.5M+. Barnes was out of contract and Ulloa's fee is hardly peanuts. Maybe a couple of players have been released a tad sooner than some would have liked but I don't feel hard done by.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the Foxes forum

Papasmurf, on 19 Jul 2014 - 2:48 PM, said:
Some decent goals in that clip. Still think we've had our pants pulled down over the fee looking at some of the summer moves.
Can't wait to see how he gets on in the PL.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
One which I didn't make, my comment "or be able to command top dollar for our players. " would be clearer if i had put ."...or we should be able to.....".

Serious question. why can a club like Southampton command top wack for players and get it? Even when in Div 1, and yet we and palace even who are all about the same size get laughed at? Ulloa and Zaha seem to have bucked the trend but its still a valid question?

Maybe being full of it is the way to give the right expectations of what to bid? Like Poker? sometimes Deluded arguments serve a purpose.

Peanuts! Well whatever probs we might have had, I personally don't include that in them. Quite the opposite in fact, we have bought cheaply and sold well Bridcutt was a allegedly £3-4 mill (not worth that) and struggling to get a game. And Ulloa bought for £2 Mill and sold for £7.5-10 mill. How in Gods name is that peanuts? ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southampton have a reputation for developing talent, like Gareth Bale, Alex Chamberlain, Wayne Bridge, Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, etc. They sold Bale to Spurs for £7m, and we sold Ulloa for between 8 and 10 million, but you think they're the ones getting top whack.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Southampton have a reputation for developing talent, like Gareth Bale, Alex Chamberlain, Wayne Bridge, Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, etc. They sold Bale to Spurs for £7m, and we sold Ulloa for between 8 and 10 million, but you think they're the ones getting top whack.

Quite. Southampton's players sell for "top whack" because they are international class (Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Shaw, Lallana). Ours are merely decent players (yes, I realise Bridcutt is an international, but, come on: Scotland!). There's a world of difference.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Subject to expected confirmation tomorrow, what a great bit of business. Expect LU to thrive at Leicester at the heart of an attack minded team who are likely to provide him with more chances than he got with us last year - churlish not to wish him all the very best. Really can't buy into cynicism about only a fraction getting invested back into the squad - if you look back at the last couple of year's worth of Bloom/Barber decisions then, virtually without exception, they look solid with the benefit of hindsight. Textbook stuff and not one of the historic naysayers could have put us in a better position had their armchair opinions prevailed. Viewed alongside the the O'Grady purchase, the synergy and leverage on these two deals is spectacularly in our favour.

Out of interest, does anybody have a BHA league table of fees received for transferring players? Would love to see what the top ten looks like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Argus, on January 19 2013, reported that Albion had restricted Almeria to a small sell-on fee, believed to be 5-10%.
If that is correct it means Tony and his team have shafted Almeria at one end of the deal, and Leicester at the other.

When will we reach the point that nobody will deal with us?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Subject to expected confirmation tomorrow, what a great bit of business.
Monday I think its supposed to complete.
Ok, stay focused people, this deal ain't done yet.

I'm gutted Ulloa's going, he'd easy score 30 for us in an attacking team. Our club is showing no ambition, and when he's smashing them in at the top level we're going to look like complete muppets.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think he'll cut it in the prem, as long as they use him correctly and play to his strengths. Everyone said that Lambert was too slow and look what he did.

Leo is as good in the air as anyone and he has a knack of finding the back of the net, that knack just can't be taught and I suspect it's why Pearson is willing to part with that amount of cash.

His first touch let him down after his injury, if he can rediscover that there's no reason he can't get 10-15 goals.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
and when he's smashing them in at the top level we're going to look like complete muppets.

I don't think we will be able to watch him when we are drowning in so much money.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ok, stay focused people, this deal ain't done yet.

I'm gutted Ulloa's going, he'd easy score 30 for us in an attacking team. Our club is showing no ambition, and when he's smashing them in at the top level we're going to look like complete muppets.

I agree-maybe he will fail the medical? but you are right,he is capable,i had high hopes of him having a injury fee storming season and scoring 25 odd,seems unlikely to happen now..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think he'll cut it in the prem, as long as they use him correctly and play to his strengths. Everyone said that Lambert was too slow and look what he did.

Leo is as good in the air as anyone and he has a knack of finding the back of the net, that knack just can't be taught and I suspect it's why Pearson is willing to part with that amount of cash.

His first touch let him down after his injury, if he can rediscover that there's no reason he can't get 10-15 goals.

Pace over a few yards,a good first touch,positional sense,quick with feet,he will do well higher up..It will mainly come down to attitude,whether he can settle up there and if he can stay injury free..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here