Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hammond's Budget

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yeah I'd quite like my money back too. Missed a stamp duty holiday a few years back by 3 weeks or somethng.

The frustration is that it's taken so long to be able to afford a house and as soon as I get one (I'm in my early 30s) they introduce a raft of measures that make it cheaper to buy a house and simultaneously lower the increase in house prices by increasing supply. He's the chancellor for a Tory government for f*cks sakes. Start acting like it rather than f*cking the people that have worked their back sides off to get something.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bagsy not sitting next to spittle shouty jeremy.....ewwwww
I the interests of balance, you have dumped a fair bit of froth and spittle over your keyboard over the years too.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
To expand on the housing point. The system is broken.

I bought my house in 2009 for 187k. It is a new build. Next door sold for 195k (I won).

Roll forward to 2017. Houses worth 300k (one in our row sold in the summer). My repayment mortgage is about 750 quid a month (if I didn't overpay). My neighbours pay about 1300 RENT a month.

So the rent is almost double my repayment mortgage and looking at 1k capital gains a month. So the people renting (young professionals) are losing out to the tune of over 1.5k a month.

How can that be right?

Move out and offer your house for rent to your neighbours for £750

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
But by chucking on the mortgage they have to borrow less than they otherwise could.

Yeah absolutely. But this doesn't mean people will be able to afford that can't already because it won't affect the deposit*

* likely I have misunderstood how this works. But an extra few grand on a mortgage is naff all compared to saving 15k in the first place (if a 5% deposit is enough)

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The frustration is that it's taken so long to be able to afford a house and as soon as I get one (I'm in my early 30s) they introduce a raft of measures that make it cheaper to buy a house and simultaneously lower the increase in house prices by increasing supply. He's the chancellor for a Tory government for f*cks sakes. Start acting like it rather than f*cking the people that have worked their back sides off to get something.

I'm in a similar position to you but was in my late 30s. Stop moaning. The young don't stand a chance otherwise. You'll end up sounding like a babyboomer if you're not careful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The councils charging 100% on council tax for empty properties will do **** all.

Stamp duty will do **** all.

Build some houses.

Blame the developers who are sitting on land with planning permission, to maximise their yield.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm in a similar position to you but was in my late 30s. Stop moaning. The young don't stand a chance otherwise. You'll end up sounding like a babyboomer if you're not careful.

He's giving the young a brilliant chance that no one felt the need to give my generation. F**k him.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I suggest that you stop beating yourself over this. Try getting up half an hour earlier each day. Eventually you will be able to leave the house early enough that your neighbours curtains are still drawn.

I am not. I am one of the lucky ones. It just doesn't seem right. We bought our first house in 2004 and I had it all sorted on 100% mortgage until at the end I was told I had 15k inheritance from when my gran died in the early 90s. These days it is next to impossible to get onto the property ladder unless you have inheritance or wealthy parents. I am lucky that my gran asked my dad to keep the money until I (and my siblings) was buying a house because otherwise my uni yearsbin the late 90s would have been different.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
No stamp duty upto 300k for first time buyers certainly gets my vote, saved us 5k.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Andrew Neil making mince meat out of the Chief Treasury to the Treasury, Lynn Truss, whom doesn't know what she's talking about. Its embarrassing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here