Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our 16 year old student mugged by Portslade station last night 9pm

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
HI Triggar, I would advise you to call the police yourself ASAP and report the allegation on your students behalf. After all she may be under 18 and is in your care and English is not her first language.
I've just been on the phone to them (they were helpful) for half an hour and they couldn't find any details, until eventually they did - as it was reported to them by police car radio it doesn't show up on the same system. So I have a reference number. They've said they'll be in contact.

In the meantime I'll go and see if I can get the details of any cctv.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well -that is the point isn't it. In London you suspect anything and everything except the obvious. And
someone asking you to use your mobile in any sense is easily dodgy.
But what is the scam if you just call the police? You don't need to get the phone out in front of the person, for fear of being mugged yourself, but you can make the call as you walk off.
As I've said, I understand not wanting to use your phone in front of a stranger whom you don't trust, but you can say that you'll call the police and then do so while you're not so close to the stranger.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry to hear about this Trig. Bunch of *****, and a very very poor show from the people of Portslade. I hope your student can enjoy the rest of their stay as fully as possible.

(And just to weight in on the Al Jazeera vs Tiba debate, I always plump for the latter who have have always seemed to me to be extremely decent chaps. Good baklava too.)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I've just been on the phone to them (they were helpful) for half an hour and they couldn't find any details, until eventually they did - as it was reported to them by police car radio it doesn't show up on the same system. So I have a reference number. They've said they'll be in contact.

In the meantime I'll go and see if I can get the details of any cctv.

Good to see the efforts you are making in following this through. If my child was in the care of someone in another country I hope that they would do the same. Good luck in solving this.
On seperate point, it is sad to see that the police reporting systems are a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. This really is one for the commissioner to pick up on. Lack of control of such information is another reason leads go cold and criminals get away with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because such is the way of the world these days. Sorry to burst your idealistic vision of a community utopia HT.

It's not my experience....but maybe I live in a different world :smile:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
terrible news. Poor kid.

Personally wouldn't bother with Police, seen many things similar and nothing ever happens. You would be very very lucky if they even bothered trying to get the CCTV.

Hope the kids OK and will not let it ruin his trip

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
As I've said, I understand not wanting to use your phone in front of a stranger whom you don't trust, but you can say that you'll call the police and then do so while you're not so close to the stranger.

Trigaar. You could I suppose - but if you were that worried about it being
a scam then you probably wouldn't give a shit anyway.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well -that is the point isn't it. In London you suspect anything and everything except the obvious. And
someone asking you to use your mobile in any sense is easily dodgy.

That maybe your view but certainly isn't mine. If someone asks for help, by all means be wary but don't turn them away. One day it could be you or a member of your family needing help.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On seperate point, it is sad to see that the police reporting systems are a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. This really is one for the commissioner to pick up on. Lack of control of such information is another reason leads go cold and criminals get away with it.
True. The lady I spoke to was really helpful, but it's 2017 FFS, how difficult can it be to have a system where all crimes are reported and the easily accessible by name and date etc? Several times she put me on hold while trying to find any reference to the case.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That maybe your view but certainly isn't mine. If someone asks for help, by all means be wary but don't turn them away. One day it could be you or a member of your family needing help.
Exactly. By all means be wary, but don't be a ****.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Excellent.

that's good,descriptions should be good

They were running a middle eastern food shop, so I doubt they're a native, but they would have spoken English well enough.

so a misunderstanding can't be ruled out

What's funny?

thinking some arab fellas that probably have to work hard until all hours just to carve out a way of life here,will have sympathy for a privileged westerner who's lost his iphone

His phone

if that's all his lost,he's had a result

What's vague?

how many of them? what was taken? was he injured?

I don't know why you think it's funny. I've talked to him enough about it to know he didn't make it up.

I didn't,just the bit about the kebab shop,anyway all the best with it

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
that's good,descriptions should be good

so a misunderstanding can't be ruled out

thinking some arab fellas that probably have to work hard until all hours just to carve out a way of life here,will have sympathy for a privileged westerner who's lost his iphone

if that's all his lost,he's had a result

I didn't,just the bit about the kebab shop,anyway all the best with it

You come across as a sad pratt!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who said he was a westerner? Who said it was an iPhone?

This isn't a police report I'm filing here, I don't need to give all details. I'm commenting on how crap the locals were in helping, and also highlighting what happened on the main road by Portslade station.

I didn't,just the bit about the kebab shop
What kebab shop? He went into a shop that sells food etc.
anyway all the best with it
Thanks.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
what's his level of english?

was the person he asked for help even english (these days and time of year,maybe not)

were the muggers even english?

arabic shop :lol:

what was taken?

often these cases have far more to them than face value

blimey trig,abit vague

he hasn't just lost his mobile then stuck 2 pencils up his nose with his underpants on his head? :wink:

wibble

I've already figured out the Arabic shop.

Boundary Rd & Portland Rd. in Hove by Portslade Station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...d56b082441d9e0f!8m2!3d50.8353636!4d-0.2060175

Why are you making this difficult?

I think this shop should be avoided by all NSCers and everyone should get the word to their mates and relatives. Show the power of the people and the internet.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
We have a 16 year old foreign student staying with us, who was near his friends house, on Boundary road last night when he was mugged by a few young men.

He's fine. Afterwards he asked a passer by to call the police, who refused, and then he went in to the Arabic food shop (corner of Portland rd) and asked them to call the police, and they told him to **** off. Nice.

He eventually got hold of the police by flagging down a passing police car. He gave them all the details, but they haven't given him a report number, presumably they should have. I've like to call them and check they've got a record of the crime etc.

Is it not a duty of citizens here to call the police when someone asks?

why didn't he go back to his friends house?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
(And just to weight in on the Al Jazeera vs Tiba debate, I always plump for the latter who have have always seemed to me to be extremely decent chaps. Good baklava too.)

Sorry to hear about this, but another Teba shopper here. Very helpful and some of the best Lamb in brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here