Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
i dont see any problem in raising the concern. i'm only pointing out that air freight is an option and not as prohibitive as one may think. example, New Zealand lamb manages to come 11,000 miles, pay import taxes and still land on the shelf at a competitive price. its not ideal (carbon foot print, competition with local farmer etc) but clearly is economic.

its fairly irrelevant anyway as we're highly unlikely to impose import taxes on produce from Spain, so we'll still get our tomatoes and oranges from there (and North Africa, and Israel, apples from South Africa, beans from Kenya... etc). without import tariffs, this is all likely to be cheaper, rather than more expensive which some are claiming, on the false pretense there will be import duties from EU.
New Zealand lamb does not come by air...rather undermines your argument!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We had hard opt-outs of 'ever closer union' on the table. We had no obligation to join the Euro ?

But if, like lemmings, we had followed the establishment's instructions to us peasants and voted to remain, is anyone stupid enough to imagine that Junkers and co. would not have taken that as a ringing endorsement of all things EU and slowly but surely whittle away our opt-outs until nothing was left?
And among those clamouring to reverse Brexit, does anyone seriously believe we'd be allowed back on our old terms, without further integration, the EU army, and joining the Euro? Dream on!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We have to go through with this for our grandchildren , the small, mislead majority for Brexit must have their way.

It's the only way for future generations not to make the same mistake we have made.

Brexit is fuelling the inter-generational divide, the Boomers & war babies that shafted their grand kids. I fear it will end is huge resentment as they are left to pick up the pieces and the true cost of our decision gradually unfolds

This also increases the chance of a Corbyn government, then we throw the dice again

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
But if, like lemmings, we had followed the establishment's instructions to us peasants and voted to remain, is anyone stupid enough to imagine that Junkers and co. would not have taken that as a ringing endorsement of all things EU and slowly but surely whittle away our opt-outs until nothing was left?
And among those clamouring to reverse Brexit, does anyone seriously believe we'd be allowed back on our old terms, without further integration, the EU army, and joining the Euro? Dream on!

Our opt-outs were permanent as I understand it. Your whittling and EU army are pure speculation.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

No and yes.

D

Deleted member 22389

They have already priced us out of housing, stifled the job market, lowered our wages, forced us into debt to get an education and now they are removing our right to freedom of movement!
What next?

Build a million homes, it wouldn't make a jot of difference. The only way your going to get a cheap home is by leaving the country, or a 90s style recession.

D

Deleted member 22389

Probably why they are restricting our movement, so we can't leave as easily and have to stay and rent from them at extortionate prices.
This is all before you mention the shitshow that is the environment! The best thing for the UK would be for the boomers to just **** off.

Who the Tory voters?

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Probably why they are restricting our movement, so we can't leave as easily and have to stay and rent from them at extortionate prices.
This is all before you mention the shitshow that is the environment! The best thing for the UK would be for the boomers to just **** off.

So you've added ageism to your other prejudices.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The whole baby boomer generation. Were you paying attention!?

I had an interesting conversation with a group of Boomers who all voted for Brexit while I voted remain being a supporter of democracy I reluctantly accepted the vote which gave me some kudos within the group who opened up the Brexit Boomers I spoke too feel that the referendum has driven a huge wedge between the generations these are indeed dark times when a society turns upon its self

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I had an interesting conversation with a group of Boomers who all voted for Brexit while I voted remain and a supporter of democracy I reluctantly accept the vote, but they the Brexit Boomers I spoke too feel that the referendum has driven a huge wedge between the generations these are indeed dark times when a society turns upon its self

But it'll all be OK soon because Spreadsheet Phil is sorting out inter-generational inequality. So that's that sorted then.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
:lolol: he didn't get anything like what he'd hoped for, and none of it would be formalised by now, with Merkel pointing out a new treaty wasn't being discussed and several national leaders outright opposed to implementing the adjustments. he came back with a promise for the issues to be considered, nothing more. if he'd got what he wanted, i doubt he'd have needed a referendum and would have won it with the sales pitch "Our concerns are listen to and met, we're leading in EU".

He certainly did not get everything he asked for, he did however get it agreed that we would be exempted from further closer union, without detriment.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

One of the reasons the legal advice government has received on revoking article 50 should come out, it is believed by many that simply saying we no longer wish to withdraw would stop the process and we would remain on current terms. Article 50 is worded as notification of intention to withdraw, an intention is not usually binding in law.

Edit, should have added, (and now have) that re applying after Brexit is completed, would certainly mean joining on worse terms than we currently have.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
lol@anti British BBC. You utter pillock

It's all of a piece. A while back, a Brexiteer explained that the fact that several of his number had been banned for offensive posts while no 'Remainers' had simply proved that the mods were bent. Now, when the BBC covers a report unfavourable to Brexit it is presented as evidence that the authors have been corrupted and the BBC hates Britain.

If it wasn't so North Korean it would be laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here