Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The walking afterwards is definitely a good thing....I walked all the way back to Preston Park after Brighton and it made a fantastic difference to how I felt the day after and walked back into the City Centre after Seville - but they were sunny afternoons, not at 2am...

I went down to watch the Velothon last time (had entered, but got injured beforehand). It was raining and miserable.............for 78 laps............but on the bright side, 78 STE Aid Stations :O

Agree re headtorch (especially on a surface like that) - decided it's time to upgrade mine as well. Will probably get the Silva Trailrunner II - heard very good reports.

http://www.headtorches365.co.uk/silva-trail-runner-ii-head-torch-p4

Those aid stations are BRILLIANT. First time I'd experienced them because I guess BTT is considered a bit too short!

Silva seems to be a good name for headtorches – I've had a few recommendations. The one you're after is slightly cheaper here: https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/silva-torches/silva-trail-runner-2-led-head-torch.html (although if Bozza is watching I'd be buying from Amazon *cough*)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Those aid stations are BRILLIANT. First time I'd experienced them because I guess BTT is considered a bit too short!

Silva seems to be a good name for headtorches – I've had a few recommendations. The one you're after is slightly cheaper here: https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/silva-torches/silva-trail-runner-2-led-head-torch.html (although if Bozza is watching I'd be buying from Amazon *cough*)

I've ordered it through Amazon - £34.74, free next day delivery (Prime)

...and if you think those aid stations are good, wait until you do a Centurion event :clap:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've ordered it through Amazon - £34.74, free next day delivery (Prime)

...and if you think those aid stations are good, wait until you do a Centurion event :clap:
But don't Centurion only do 50/100 milers :eek:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Who is up for this then ?? Not even got a game that weekend (International weekend) so no excuses :lol:

https://www.sussextrailevents.com/sussex-trail-events/velothon-2/
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - good report. I switched to the higher flood bank when the tide was right up, but it was pretty overgrown - legs are scratched to hell ! You should have said you had to walk home, could easily have given you a lift......

If the weather is good, I'll go along to watch but sounds like a horrible run, although definitely a PB course if you don't stop halfway through for boredom.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
If the weather is good, I'll go along to watch but sounds like a horrible run, although definitely a PB course if you don't stop halfway through for boredom.

Totally agree. I looked at this and it beats me why any sane person (yet alone someone in their 60s. who hates long distances, hasn't run a marathon since 2005, is injury prone and a wimp) would enter this sort of event. And then I signed up for it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Totally agree. I looked at this and it beats me why any sane person (yet alone someone in their 60s. who hates long distances, hasn't run a marathon since 2005, is injury prone and a wimp) would enter this sort of event. And then I signed up for it.

:lolol:

You can't be serious! Not on my bucket list. May pop along to give moral support.."Only 62 laps to go" "It will get easier now you know the course" that sort of thing.

I like the date. It's the weekend I fly out to the Himalayas for 6 weeks trekking as pre training for the Brighton Marathon training plan.

I reckon a marathon training plan will push your subsequent 5K sub 20 and into the heady heights of 80% AG. Enjoy it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
:lolol:

You can't be serious! Not on my bucket list. May pop along to give moral support.."Only 62 laps to go" "It will get easier now you know the course" that sort of thing.

I like the date. It's the weekend I fly out to the Himalayas for 6 weeks trekking as pre training for the Brighton Marathon training plan.

I reckon a marathon training plan will push your subsequent 5K sub 20 and into the heady heights of 80% AG. Enjoy it.

Cheers. Think I might complete just as you are at the end of your 6 week trek!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Injuries must be taking there toll, we are down to page 4 people! Any movement from anyone?

I've just been looking at a Sussex Trail Event which is the same team that organise the Dark Star Marathon & Lunar Tic. They are running I think for the first time '13 The Hard Way' a trail half through the Sussex County Side starting in Clayton. Anyone else running from here? It's a Saturday morning race so would mean no Park Run for that week.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Haha ..I was going to suggest the registration for the A.I.M Crawley charity 6, 12 & 24 track runs are open for anyone who wants to test themselves next April... :)

Tempted....but think I'll be away. Have you listened to the pilot British Ultrarunning podcast (basically James Elson and our local lad Dan Lawson having a chat) ? It's brilliant....easy listening but very good insight into the psyche of 24 hour endurance running.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-british-ultrarunning-podcast/id1259450916?mt=2

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Injuries must be taking there toll, we are down to page 4 people! Any movement from anyone?

I've just been looking at a Sussex Trail Event which is the same team that organise the Dark Star Marathon & Lunar Tic. They are running I think for the first time '13 The Hard Way' a trail half through the Sussex County Side starting in Clayton. Anyone else running from here? It's a Saturday morning race so would mean no Park Run for that week.

I'm away so can't do it but loads of my pals did it last year - this will be the second one (one of them ended up in hospital with heat exhaustion after collapsing a couple of miles from the end when 5 minutes ahead of second place).

Route is brilliant - up the Tank Tracks (would recommend having a go at this before the day so you're prepared, it's ****ing steep) from Underhill Lane, SDW down to Housedean Farm layby on the A27 and then back. A tad hilly you could say [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Will be well marked and supported with a decent medal and all very friendly and sociable with a decent aid station at half way. The STE guys know how to organise a race.

Edit - STE have tweeted a link to the pics from last year, courtesy Jon Lavis

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jel183/sets/72157673029051655

Last edited:

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Tempted....but think I'll be away. Have you listened to the pilot British Ultrarunning podcast (basically James Elson and our local lad Dan Lawson having a chat) ? It's brilliant....easy listening but very good insight into the psyche of 24 hour endurance running.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-british-ultrarunning-podcast/id1259450916?mt=2

No haven't had chance yet. Last year at the Crawley 12hr I think I kept up with Dan for all of 3 or 4 laps until he just blasted off.. I think he was just treating it as a training run for the World Champs. You get great camaraderie at those type of events.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yep, I'll hopefully be there. Was trying to figure out exactly how 'hard' it was, but no-one was giving much away. Given that I've done a few fulls over the Downs, I'm just expecting half the pain in half the time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looney. Be good to meet you [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just wondered if you are a member of Burgess Hill Runners? If so they'll be out in force at the Highdown Hike c.4 miles hilly, x-country (west of Worthing) on Wednesday (02/07). I'm planning to be there and NSC runners in the area might be interested. If past years are anything to go by, there's a bit of a walk between registration (West Worthing Tennis club) and the start but it's a nice, challenging little run - if not by the standards of some of the events that many NSC guys do. See Sussex Races for details and note that the race number is limited to 500 and that it was nearly reached last year! (I'd hate it if anyone had a wasted trip.)

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just wondered if you are a member of Burgess Hill Runners? If so they'll be out in force at the Highdown Hike c.4 miles hilly, x-country (west of Worthing) on Wednesday (02/07). I'm planning to be there and NSC runners in the area might be interested. If past years are anything to go by, there's a bit of a walk between registration (West Worthing Tennis club) and the start but it's a nice, challenging little run - if not by the standards of some of the events that many NSC guys do. See Sussex Races for details and note that the race number is limited to 500 and that it was nearly reached last year! (I'd hate it if anyone had a wasted trip.)

Long distance run in my books. Looks good and good value entry price. Next Wednesday, 02/08 unfortunately got family visiting.

http://www.worthingstriders.co.uk/highdown-hike.html

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I am, but don't tend to do the WSFRL races as they don't fit with my programme. I've done a lot of them in the past though. To be honest I don't have that much involvement in the club these days (I used to be the press officer and on the committee) as I don't train with them - just tend to meet up with a few at the events I do which are mostly trail marathons. Which club are you with ?

I wouldn't put anyone off doing the WSFRL races though - very good events, cheap to enter and all very social and inclusive with some nice routes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here