Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will Brighton do in the Premier League

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
8th

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
it's all about staying up in year 1, one you get over that hurdle we are in business.

The sad reality is that for most clubs in the Premier it's all about staying up every season. Once you are a team like Stoke there's no time much else to aim for. However, given that we're a good few seasons from this being a problem we can enjoy a few seasons of relegation dogfights,

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
The only target you need to set is fourth bottom.
It's not as easy as some of you think it will be.
Congratulations anyway.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Crazy to generalise as though all teams that go up are equal.

We have so much already in place. We will be going up as Champions with 95+ points and nearly all of our key players signed up.

How do teams that go up with those credentials usually get on? There is no way I would take 4th bottom if offered now - I think we will do significantly better than that. Offer 14th in first season and we might have a deal.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Once again the spine is vital....goalkeeper ,center half,central midfield and striker.IMO we have the first two,but not the other two.The secret is shirley to recruit competition and not replacements and that keeps the squad bonded together.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like Solly March’s ability to run at players and Anthony Knockaert’s goals from midfield. At the other end of the pitch, Hughton has towering centre backs in Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy. Their height and power is ideal in the Championship but strikers at the higher levels are more nifty, agile and quick. They could be exposed. Yes, sure West Bromwich Albion play with six-footers — but they are very good players at that level.

While there's an element of truth in this, I'm not sure it's the whole story. For one thing, Leicester won the title with Huth and Morgan as CBs and they're not the speediest and secondly. I don't think neither Dunk or Duffy is that slow, However, it is true that they'll be up against nippier strikers and I think they will need another option there. I'd love to see us put in a bid for Tomori as I reckon he's going to be a real star - doubt if Chelsea would sell though

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The only target you need to set is fourth bottom.
It's not as easy as some of you think it will be.
Congratulations anyway.

I agree, anyone thinking our team spirit with two or three buys will do it are mistaken. To cope with the pace, power, PL experience and skill in EVERY other team, more top quality personnel than that are essential.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One plus point about being in the Championship is that when we play the Massive clubs and Champions of Europe, they'll think we'll be in awe of them.

Little do they know we've been playing Leeds and Wednesday for 3 seasons.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Crazy to generalise as though all teams that go up are equal.

We have so much already in place. We will be going up as Champions with 95+ points and nearly all of our key players signed up.

How do teams that go up with those credentials usually get on? There is no way I would take 4th bottom if offered now - I think we will do significantly better than that. Offer 14th in first season and we might have a deal.

Leicester spent £25m on players after their promotion and almost got relegated. They spent a further £41m the following season.

Bournemouth spent £41m on players after their promotion and £29m the following season.

Burnley spent £28m last summer, on top of £23m already spent on their squad in transfer fees.

All survived, but had to spend big.

Reading went up with 106 points, didn't invest as much and were duly relegated.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So long as we don't aim for 17th. place. If we aim higher and nearly make it, that will be fine, but nearly achieving our aim of 17th. wouldn't be a good outcome.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here