Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Just discovered I've been accepted for the Rome marathon on the 2nd of April. The place was never in doubt but had to get my Gp to fill out a midical form which proved a problem. Doctor was reluctant to do the tests which included urine, resting and following 10 min excersise ECG's and Spirograph. Had to pay in the end to get them to do it. No idea if this is standard practice when entering a marathon abroad as it's my first but in Italy every non Italian entrant must do this. So for now my plan is to still do Brighton the following week. I can always bail out and join the growing flag waving party if not up to it.

3 miles today and don't think I'll run again before Sunday's Worthing half. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is out for revenge after my tiny victory at the mince pie ten where I beat him by all of 1 second, and I'm still stiff from Sunday's 20 miles. My pride insists I try and make a race of it but if I finish within 5 mins of him I'll be happy. Of course if I beat him I'll be even happier

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gonna do a recap on how my training going shortly but as a quick question (and yes I am going to the doc soon) does anyone ever get a pain in their sturnam (breast bone) area when running? In fact I've been getting it recently in everyday life. Pretty sure it's not heart related, in fact I think I may have tweeted a muscle when doing bloody Joe Wicks work out DVD 2 weeks ago! As was hurting in that area the few days after doing it and it's not gone away completely since (using muscles I don't normally use I guess).

Did ten miles the other day and for the first 3 I felt it but after that I didn't at all. Annoyingly it prevents me from picking up pace when I feel it as gets worse if I try to do so!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gonna do a recap on how my training going shortly but as a quick question (and yes I am going to the doc soon) does anyone ever get a pain in their sturnam (breast bone) area when running? In fact I've been getting it recently in everyday life. Pretty sure it's not heart related, in fact I think I may have tweeted a muscle when doing bloody Joe Wicks work out DVD 2 weeks ago! As was hurting in that area the few days after doing it and it's not gone away completely since (using muscles I don't normally use I guess).

Did ten miles the other day and for the first 3 I felt it but after that I didn't at all. Annoyingly it prevents me from picking up pace when I feel it as gets worse if I try to do so!

As the resident sick note I must say that is another one I've had during arthritis flare ups. Had it about 8 years back and was worried about the heart and thought it was from swimming. It was costochondritis an inflammation of the cartilage around the sternum. Painful but ran through that one for a few months. You may have that from the work out.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As the resident sick note I must say that is another one I've had during arthritis flare ups. Had it about 8 years back and was worried about the heart and thought it was from swimming. It was costochondritis an inflammation of the cartilage around the sternum. Painful but ran through that one for a few months. You may have that from the work out.

Thanks mate - yes I feel it is some sort of muscular thing - sternum and ribs a bit. Not gonna stop me though, I've been training pretty hard but need to get some longer distances in as only up to 10 miles ATM in training. 2 half marathons coming up will help and I'm unceasing by 2 miles each week so 12 on Friday. Also planning to do Lydd 20 on 12 March which will tie in perfectly with my 2 mile increase per week as it goes :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just discovered I've been accepted for the Rome marathon on the 2nd of April. The place was never in doubt but had to get my Gp to fill out a midical form which proved a problem. Doctor was reluctant to do the tests which included urine, resting and following 10 min excersise ECG's and Spirograph. Had to pay in the end to get them to do it. No idea if this is standard practice when entering a marathon abroad as it's my first but in Italy every non Italian entrant must do this. So for now my plan is to still do Brighton the following week. I can always bail out and join the growing flag waving party if not up to it.

3 miles today and don't think I'll run again before Sunday's Worthing half. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is out for revenge after my tiny victory at the mince pie ten where I beat him by all of 1 second, and I'm still stiff from Sunday's 20 miles. My pride insists I try and make a race of it but if I finish within 5 mins of him I'll be happy. Of course if I beat him I'll be even happier

Rome should be a good marathon. Think I'll cycle over Sunday to spectate. Cold morning with steady North East wind.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oops - instead of 'tweaked' my phone changed that to 'tweeted' :facepalm:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Not sure this is the best place to ask for advice regarding chest pains. Others may have better advice but I would recommend you talk to your doctor about it. As you say it's probably nothing but just for piece of mind I would get it checked out especially as your planning a marathon. For what it's worth I also get chest pains sometimes when running sometimes not. For me they're not heart related as I got checked out. Don't think you can be too careful in that department.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure this is the best place to ask for advice regarding chest pains. Others may have better advice but I would recommend you talk to your doctor about it. As you say it's probably nothing but just for piece of mind I would get it checked out especially as your planning a marathon. For what it's worth I also get chest pains sometimes when running sometimes not. For me they're not heart related as I got checked out. Don't think you can be too careful in that department.

Thanks pal. Am actually planning to go docs tomo or day after. In terms of 'checked out' did you have to go to hospital appointment after or is there a test or 2 that your local GP can do to put your mind at ease in your experience?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Thanks pal. Am actually planning to go docs tomo or day after. In terms of 'checked out' did you have to go to hospital appointment after or is there a test or 2 that your local GP can do to put your mind at ease in your experience?

After the doc examines you he will decide on what's the best course if any to take. An ecg is usually carried out at the surgery which just monitors your heart for a small period of time if they think it's necessary. Really nothing to worry about as myself and Knocky testify it's very common and usually down to something completely unrelated to your heart

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
After the doc examines you he will decide on what's the best course if any to take. An ecg is usually carried out at the surgery which just monitors your heart for a small period of time if they think it's necessary. Really nothing to worry about as myself and Knocky testify it's very common and usually down to something completely unrelated to your heart

On a side note it's not bad enough to stop me from running but is bad enough to be a real annoyance and did stop me a few weeks back (I rested for a week) but I just haven't got the time to rest it any longer. Hopefully if it's muscular it will sort itself out. Off for a gentle 3 miler then an hours indoor football (with older blokes for fun and not OTT before anyone tells me not to do it!)

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
On a side note it's not bad enough to stop me from running but is bad enough to be a real annoyance and did stop me a few weeks back (I rested for a week) but I just haven't got the time to rest it any longer. Hopefully if it's muscular it will sort itself out. Off for a gentle 3 miler then an hours indoor football (with older blokes for fun and not OTT before anyone tells me not to do it!)

Enjoy!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cheers, I need to be running at about 6:45 to 6:50 average pace when I do the Surrey Half to break 1:30, so getting down below 7s for 10 is a good start. I think I may be ready to get into intervals on a shorter distance tomorrow.

You're well on track for sub 1:30 based on those training times.

Ran 11.12 in 1:20:00 tonight so fairly pleased with that. Bought a new pair of Hoka one one's then had a massage after the run so hopefully I'll threaten 1:30 myself Sunday at Worthing.

Comparing my run tonight to other 11 mile runs I'm still a bit behind from peak form.

Feb 17th 2015 - The Rusty Lee Invitational - 11.11 miles - 1:23:10
Dec 13th 2015 - The Sandy Lyle 11 mile elite - 11 miles - 1:2716
Jan 9th 2016 - The Moria Stewart 11 mile supreme - 11:05 miles - 1:14:58 (pb)
April 9th 2016 - The Richard Madeley 11 mile invitational - 10.99 miles - 1:16:09
16th Dec 2016 - The Mike Hallett 11 - 11.01 miles - 1:24:30
7th Feb 2017 - The Gloria Hunniford 80 minute challenge - 11.12 miles 1:20:00

Definitely an improvement today from the Mike Hallett 11 in December but still some way to get to my pb at the Moria Stewart supreme last January.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I did although the massive hill at end I didn't! So weird, typing to you guys earlier lying on my bed I could really feel the chest pains but didn't feel it at all running - gentle 10 min miles but my word I could feel the 12 inch pizza & chips I stupidly had last night :lol: Been fuelling my body much better overall recently and this treat I could bloody feel tonight!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I did the CRUK London Winter 10k on Sunday before Brentford (booked it before they moved our match). A great event, think they said 15,000 ran in the end. Only gripe was the starting waves appeared not to be based on predicted time as in wave 1 & 2 there were people walking after 1k and 2k! Made for a very overcrowded and difficult first mile to get going!

Official time was 51.53 (PB 51.06), but for the first time in a race I did a mile in under 8 minutes, 7.28 was my best mile right at the end. Also another first for me, I spotted one of the official photographers and actually smiled for a picture! Next up is the Brighton half on the 26th Feb, Eastbourne half 5th March & then the Limassol marathon on the 19th March. 5 weeks on Sunday Eeeeeekkkkkk!

https://www.strava.com/activities/856510470

99346_LWR17_WJC_000533.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
15 miles today - furthest I've ever ran - was brilliant and pain free apart from my legs last 2 miles! Bang on 10 min miles which I was happy with as paced it.

Slight stomach cramps from the 3 gels I used but they definately helped and from what I've read you kind of need to use them (or similar) in a marathon...?

Really happy.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Good effort [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]!

I'd suggest trying other things if gels are giving you cramps, I had the same issue, but didn't when I switched to jelly beans.

Another 6-odd miles for me today, taking me up to about 27 miles for the week - my furthest this year. Managed to progress quicker through the run which was pleasing, and ended up with a slightly red tummy, which wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here