Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But just because we can, it doesn't necessarily mean that we should.

Oh, I agree as I said to [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]'s opening post.

All I was doing was trying to explain why there is a difference between the old days and now.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A good post only undermined by your own use of the mawkish, American phrase "passed away" when you mean died.

bereft of life he rests in peace... he has gone to meet his maker... he's run down the curtain and joined the bleedin choir invisibile!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
....but, when we all clapped on the 65th minute to remember Tony ( woodingdean seagull) who was the REMF chair and all round great supporter and genuinely fantastic guy, the gods looked down on us and we scored exactly as his face appeared on the main screens!

Extremely poignant moment to those of us who loved him dearly!

But for Tony it was entirely right as the REMF are a charity that have touched thousands.

There was (cant remember when) a round of applause for a supporter who passed away and he was 96 or whatever. I mean come on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But for Tony it was entirely right as the REMF are a charity that have touched thousands.

There was (cant remember when) a round of applause for a supporter who passed away and he was 96 or whatever. I mean come on.
I was going to post about him. He shuffled out of the Amex aged 94 having just seen the Albion absolutely BATTER QPR 4-0 and sadly died near the train station.

Frankly, I can't think of any better way to go. And yet, we still got a minute's applause for this. Wildly over the top.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I blame Princess Diana. Until her death, public shows of grief and outpourings of emotion were rarer than rocking horse shit.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Agreed, there were 2 games in a row a while back. We can't keep having them, at some point someone will score during that minute and completely ruin the sentiment and piss a load of people off.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
....but, when we all clapped on the 65th minute to remember Tony ( woodingdean seagull) who was the REMF chair and all round great supporter and genuinely fantastic guy, the gods looked down on us and we scored exactly as his face appeared on the main screens!

Extremely poignant moment to those of us who loved him dearly!

I think that validates Simster's point, As you say he was one of our own, people knew him personally, it wasn't just some bloke (or group of people) with zero relevance to Brighton.

Don't Southampton have a single 'remembrance' event on the home match nearest to November 1st? (All Saints Day).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think that validates Simster's point, As you say he was one of our own, people knew him personally, it wasn't just some bloke (or group of people) with zero relevance to Brighton.

Don't Southampton have a single 'remembrance' event on the home match nearest to November 1st? (All Saints Day).

Good example though but it just illustrates the problem.

When it comes down to it very few of us, including dear Tony, are known by many other people in an Albion Amex crowd. So just where do you draw the line? Who gets the special treatment and who doesn't?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good example though but it just illustrates the problem.

When it comes down to it very few of us, including dear Tony, are known by many other people in an Albion Amex crowd. So just where do you draw the line? Who gets the special treatment and who doesn't?
Exactly. I never met Woodingdean Seagull and he didn't mean any more to me (or most of us) than any other Albion fan. And judging by what people have told me about him (although I could be wrong), he was so unassuming that he'd almost have been embarrassed to have a minute's applause in his own name.

A single minute's applause with the faces of those people on the big screen would be the perfect situation, IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here