Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

warren aspinall says murray deal close

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He's still better than cms.

Murray had the luxury of having a team built round him at Palace playing to his strengths. He had a winger either side and Palace practised and mastered set pieces that centred on him. He also had Haha diving for penalties for him to plunder. I can't remember us playing the style and formation of football to suit CMS (who was unlucky with injuries). All that said, you are still right.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He wasn't the league's top scorer. Murray got 22 goals, CMS got 33.
The following season Murray scored 6 goals at Palace and CMS scored 11 for Brighton.

It wasn't until the 2012/13 season that Murray scored his goals, which got Palace into the playoffs on the very last day. Murray was injured in our game, so wasn't the reason they got promoted. It was Dobbie who scored against Watford iirc. Who is to say that we would have beaten Watford when they'd trounced us twice during the season?

You miss my point completely, I was not comparing CMS to Murray. I was talking about the season Palace got promoted and Murray WAS top scorer in the division. We had heard nothing about the two budgets until then when it became Gus' excuse for why we had to let Murray go. I was wondering if Bloom ever concurred that the club had two budgets hence being unable to keep Murray. I think this little nugget came out just before we played Palace at home in the league (St Patrick's day massacre) and around the same time that Poyet said he would not minding leaving Albion "right now"

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I saw Gus & Glen hug each other at the Amex after the game in October 2011, where we were beaten 3-1, so I don't buy the theory that they fell out.

or perhaps, unlike so many on this thread, they were big enough to just to move on........

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
According to Barry LLoyd, quoted in The Nowhere Men." Brighton have a very rich owner and Gus gets whatever he wants."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You miss my point completely, I was not comparing CMS to Murray. I was talking about the season Palace got promoted and Murray WAS top scorer in the division. We had heard nothing about the two budgets until then when it became Gus' excuse for why we had to let Murray go. I was wondering if Bloom ever concurred that the club had two budgets hence being unable to keep Murray. I think this little nugget came out just before we played Palace at home in the league (St Patrick's day massacre) and around the same time that Poyet said he would not minding leaving Albion "right now"

Around the time Oscar left and the Argus was printing (from what I remember) a quote-less 'interview' with him criticising the club's transfer approach (under a man who was fired 7months later after a second manager left and the transfer dealing were criticised) there were loads of contradictory things leaked/were rumoured - Oscar was never available, didn't take training etc.

As the end of gus's tenure played out, lots of things were leaked out/rumoured in what seemed like an attempt to turn the fans against him. Bloom himself revealed that tidbit about quitting.

I don't recall anyone ever denying the two pot claim, or blaming him for the Murray decision. You'd think, given that 'campaign' against Gus, if he was even only half to blame for the Murray decision they would have made an issue out of it,

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Around the time Oscar left and the Argus was printing (from what I remember) a quote-less 'interview' with him criticising the club's transfer approach (under a man who was fired 7months later after a second manager left and the transfer dealing were criticised) there were loads of contradictory things leaked/were rumoured - Oscar was never available, didn't take training etc.

As the end of gus's tenure played out, lots of things were leaked out/rumoured in what seemed like an attempt to turn the fans against him. Bloom himself revealed that tidbit about quitting.

I don't recall anyone ever denying the two pot claim, or blaming him for the Murray decision. You'd think, given that 'campaign' against Gus, if he was even only half to blame for the Murray decision they would have made an issue out of it,

Speaking from memory, Garcia came with a list of players that he wanted that were either unattainable, or unaffordable so of course he is going to criticize the transfer policy. As for Poyet, my impression was that Murray was not a Poyet man and maybe the clash of personalities was why Poyet didn't want to keep him. I don't know but I'm sure they would have paid CMS more than what Murray was after. Even if it was slightly less, factor in the transfer fee then the deal is far more heavily weighted in favour of CMS. Maybe Poyet didn't think Murray would cut it in the championship even though he was prepared to gamble on CMS.

I still think Murray left because Poyet didn't like him. If Poyet had wanted him to stay then I'm sure with the relationship he had with Bloom at the time they would have paid him.

Another thing to consider was the club's policy at the time (don't know whether it was Poyet or the club) not to discuss contracts until we knew where we were playing the following season. Hardly helpful to players who have to think of security of income.

And finally, let's not forget how Poyet dealt with Vicente. First saying that it was up to Vicente whether to activate the years extension to his contract and then, when the time came to it, enforcing it, seemingly against the players will.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Speaking from memory, Garcia came with a list of players that he wanted that were either unattainable, or unaffordable so of course he is going to criticize the transfer policy.

That was one of the claims, and that kinda supports my point. That was something that came out after the 'interview', showing the club aren't afraid to point the finger of blame when they feel managers speak out of turn.

Incidentally, though, the players on that list were declared as unattainable by the same guy that Warren Aspinall claimed wasn't interested in players he suggested as they weren't on his spreadsheet who was fired after a second manager walked (albeit in part because of his inability to turn things around on the pitch).

And finally, let's not forget how Poyet dealt with Vicente. First saying that it was up to Vicente whether to activate the years extension to his contract and then, when the time came to it, enforcing it, seemingly against the players will.

Was that Poyet or the Club?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are so many "experts" on this site. None of which have given a decent alternative to Murray....a proven goalscorer at every level he has competed at.

This is a argument that also rears its head when people call for the manager to go "well, who else would you have?!". I have never understood why some people think you have to have an alternative in mind to express a negative opinion for the current choice. I don't think most fans have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every potential striker out there (or every potential manager).

I imagine there has to be at least a couple of players, from lower leagues, abroad, in reserve teams in our league and above, who would be affordable, willing to come here and who would, if given the chance, excel in our team. The problem is we don't know about them, or they're playing in a team/system that hides the strengths they have that would fit our team, wrong attitude in their current set up and in need of the chance elsewhere to come good, etc.

I don't suppose that's just with us. I imagine every team has overlooked, or yet to spot a particular player who would be just what they need to take their team to the next level.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That was one of the claims, and that kinda supports my point. That was something that came out after the 'interview', showing the club aren't afraid to point the finger of blame when they feel managers speak out of turn.

Incidentally, though, the players on that list were declared as unattainable by the same guy that Warren Aspinall claimed wasn't interested in players he suggested as they weren't on his spreadsheet who was fired after a second manager walked (albeit in part because of his inability to turn things around on the pitch).

Was that Poyet or the Club?

I only ever saw quotes from poyet so !

D

Deleted member 2719

'Disrespecting the fans' is one of the most tedious cliches in football.

Fans do not care about players, they only care about winning. A player has a few bad matches and there's a lynch mob wanting him shipped out, accusing him of being lazy, money grabbing, useless and so on.

Not all players care about winning.....Leon Best for one.
Zamora loves us it true.....honest.

Yeah, but we are their customers and the customer is always right :p

If Murray or whoever trys to shaft uncle Tony for a few quid extra then they go up the road to selhurst they can feck right off.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not all players care about winning.....Leon Best for one.
Zamora loves us it true.....honest.

Yeah, but we are their customers and the customer is always right :p

If Murray or whoever trys to shaft uncle Tony for a few quid extra then they go up the road to selhurst they can feck right off.

I think Murray's £3.25 million replacement who is now plying his trade in League 2 is the one who shafted Uncle Tony for a few quid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here