Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Mostly legal and mostly pikey ways you have saved money

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Would it be too pikey to bring away my Wetherspoons mug and come back after my meeting I am off to now? Or I will have to pay for another cup @1.25 . The offer does say all day, so I have paid for it. If I dont make it back I have a nice mug to keep or come back with

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Would it be too pikey to bring away my Wetherspoons mug and come back after my meeting I am off to now? Or I will have to pay for another cup @1.25 . The offer does say all day, so I have paid for it. If I dont make it back I have a nice mug to keep or come back with

That's a great idea..you can even use the free hot water provided to rinse your mug.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
A few years ago when Nandos had the loyalty card via the card form I see my chance to take the piss. I bought a job lot of unstamped cards off eBay followed by my very own nandos ink stamper. I would fully stamp each card giving you a free starter, free main and free whole chicken on each card(worth about £22 in all). I would eat out at nandos on the regular and I had so many of the bloddy things I started selling them to mates. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My tip is to keep a cheap bottle of shampoo in the bathroom but then help yourself to the wife’s wide array of ridiculously priced hair products. The cheap bottle makes her think I have my own shampoo; when I did once run out the first thing she asked was if Iwas using hers.

Those who know me know I don’t have much hair, but what I do have is beautifully maintained and conditioned at all times...... and for free.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I am a bit haphazard with my self service scanning at the supermarket checkout and because i leave my headphones in sometimes i don't hear the lack of a beep.

You'd be amazed now much resource is used to spot and prosecute for this, there's no second chances, they're not daft .....

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Coffee machines at Service Stations or garages. Use a small cup but press "Large" drink. This will fill your small cup right to the top. Saves at least 30p per cup. Only works where you pay at the till, so not at Oxford Services where you need to put your money in the machine.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Back in the early '80s days of classic pub video games - Space Invaders, Asteroids and that lot - once you got the knack you could usually flip a 2p piece up the coin return slot and get 3 games for 2p instead of 50p. Saved a fortune in my mis-spent student years.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Their mistake not mine, but a while back in my local supermarket, 6-packs of Duvel were being mistakenly scanned in at the till as single bottles, but they hadn't noticed. I noticed. €1 plus 10 cents bottle deposit, then 60 cents back from the supermarket for taking 6 bottles back. Net result: 40 cents for 6 Duvels...

I went back shortly afterwards with a trolley...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Their mistake not mine, but a while back in my local supermarket, 6-packs of Duvel were being mistakenly scanned in at the till as single bottles, but they hadn't noticed. I noticed. €1 plus 10 cents bottle deposit, then 60 cents back from the supermarket for taking 6 bottles back. Net result: 40 cents for 6 Duvels...

I went back shortly afterwards with a trolley...

Unfortunately they saw you coming, sir.

You didn't get quite the bargain you thought you had...

(€1 + 10c - 60c = FIFTY cents).

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Unfortunately they saw you coming, sir.

You didn't get quite the bargain you thought you had...

(€1 + 10c - 60c = FIFTY cents).

:facepalm:

I must have drunk the first bottle before I went back for more...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Agreed, but can they tell for example how many cheese straws ive put in the bag for a bakery purchase?

Yes, they can. They saw that incident on the 18th Apr when you entered 3 for the amount of apples when you had 4, you're nicked Son!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed, but can they tell for example how many cheese straws ive put in the bag for a bakery purchase?

They can't (except by stalking you with a store detective). Just as they can't tell when I have cheese roll, or artisan seeded roll, in the paper bag, and tap the picture of a dull plain brown roll. To be honest I always hit the first roll that I see, not to deliberately underpay (I probably overpay as often as under) - I just can't be ARSED to trawl through three pages of blurry little pictures of near identical looking bread rolls, to find the right one.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
After having a "bit of trouble" with self checkouts (resulting in me shouting "STICK YOUR BAGGING AREA UP YOUR ARSE" at one in Sainsburys) and taking my items off it and going to a human, I can confirm they're on to you like a tramp on a bag of chips; I had a superviosor and security man come up to me on the way out because by starting but not finishing I had set some alarms off somewhere.
I NEVER use them ******** now.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
They can't (except by stalking you with a store detective). Just as they can't tell when I have cheese roll, or artisan seeded roll, in the paper bag, and tap the picture of a dull plain brown roll. To be honest I always hit the first roll that I see, not to deliberately underpay (I probably overpay as often as under) - I just can't be ARSED to trawl through three pages of blurry little pictures of near identical looking bread rolls, to find the right one.

TBH Im looking for the quickest exit, self pay or check out, and as for the bred roll thing its hardly worth the return on sin to go at it with malice or greed.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I wanted a hose connector yesterday from B&Q, it was 98p. I didn't have any cash and thought it was silly to use a card. I walked round the shop for 20 minutes trying to pluck up the courage to pocket it and walk out. I didn't have the balls or maybe didn't want to be labeled a thief for only a quid. so I did pay with a card which probably cost them more to process than it would have been if it was free.

Next time I will try to walk out with a drill to make up for it.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Many moons ago, I went in to a sports shop and asked to see a selection of table-tennis bats. I "accidentally" put the dearest one back in to the box with the lowest price on and bought it. I still feel really sorry for the person who paid a fortune for a cheap and nasty table-tennis bat!

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
A 'reverse pikey' thing i do, as it were, is to leave my day saver ticket at last bus stop I use- no longer needed, so anyone who comes along next can get a free ride or two..

Apparantly sharing tickers is frowned upon, but the driver can't check who paid for it, can they??

#randomactsofkindness #reversepikey #payitforward

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here