Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Takes a special kind of establishment to score zero stars out of a possible five :sick:

Some of those are news agents. I remember having a row with a shop assistant in one of them(not over food). How do they fail with just sarnies and crisps?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Some of those are news agents. I remember having a row with a shop assistant in one of them(not over food). How do they fail with just sarnies and crisps?

I've heard, in the past, that some cheap pre-packed sandwiches, when tested, have been found to contain human faeces due to poor personal hygiene in the place of preparation. I've no idea if these ratings involve the analysis of the foodstuffs themselves, or just the cleanliness of the establishment.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I get involved with this from time to time and from those who know, there really aren't any excuses for not getting 4s and 5s. It's THEIR business for Christ sakes, playing with your customers health is NOT good for business!

Thank god there's a system in place now, for years we've all been in the lap of the gods. At least now we can make more informed decisions. Upset stomachs is one thing, severe food poisoning is horrendous as I'm sure many of us know and is sometimes fatal. But it's nearly impossible to apportion blame or source and too many outlets get away with causing unnecessary illness which we all pay for. For once govt agencies should be applauded for raising the bar. I wouldn't eat anything from somewhere less than 4 now. Why would you when somewhere next door in all probability is conforming to standards?!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've heard, in the past, that some cheap pre-packed sandwiches, when tested, have been found to contain human faeces due to poor personal hygiene in the place of preparation. I've no idea if these ratings involve the analysis of the foodstuffs themselves, or just the cleanliness of the establishment.

The food safety officer inspecting a business checks how well the business is meeting the law by looking at:

-how hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored
-the condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
-how the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe

At the end of the inspection, the business is given one of the six ratings. The top rating of ‘5’ means that the business was found to have ‘very good’ hygiene standards. Any business should be able to reach this top rating.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not having that .....

Exactly how many pieces of paper did she need to fill in ??

How many times might she of not filled them in to get a measly 1, which is pretty dire ??

Its at the very least an indication of how she values hygiene issues, more likely she has made up some lame excuse, thankfully no hiding place ...

There is no hiding place, and a search throughout the listings reveals the premises with a score of 4. The intention is to reach a 5 for next time.

As Bozza showed in his entry, one of the three requirements assess:

This was admittedly poor, but the food hygiene was good. It would have been awarded a 4 rating had this been in order.

It's academic now, footfall has almost doubled in the last two years, with a lot of happy folk. The downside is the stress of the additional hours this has caused.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is no hiding place, and a search throughout the listings reveals the premises with a score of 4. The intention is to reach a 5 for next time.

As Bozza showed in his entry, one of the three requirements assess:

This was admittedly poor, but the food hygiene was good. It would have been awarded a 4 rating had this been in order.

It's academic now, footfall has almost doubled in the last two years, with a lot of happy folk. The downside is the stress of the additional hours this has caused.

Good luck to you, but still I aint quite buying it ...

I have ran a few businesses, some decent some less so, but although I acknowledge I have strengths and weaknesses I doubt whether I have failed as miserably as a 1 score !!!

In food of all businesses how can you tell me you clean and source food responsibly, but forget to do the paperwork that would publicly validate that work, more importantly, if not done would publicly wholly invalidate your business ??

I cannot think of any proprietor that sold food responsibly and contaminate free that just happened to get one part wrong, yes perhaps between a 3 or 4 score or 4 and 5 score, but not a 1.

Its a damning score that cannot be so easily ignored.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Good luck to you, but still I aint quite buying it ...

I have ran a few businesses, some decent some less so, but although I acknowledge I have strengths and weaknesses I doubt whether I have failed as miserably as a 1 score !!!

In food of all businesses how can you tell me you clean and source food responsibly, but forget to do the paperwork that would publicly validate that work, more importantly, if not done would publicly wholly invalidate your business ??

I cannot think of any proprietor that sold food responsibly and contaminate free that just happened to get one part wrong, yes perhaps between a 3 or 4 score or 4 and 5 score, but not a 1.

Its a damning score that cannot be so easily ignored.

I agree. I smell bs.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Don't know what has happened to the Jolly Sportsman in East Chiltington. Used to be a top pub with great food and ticked all the boxes but it's been getting bad rep for a while now. Shame.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Blimey for sure! :ohmy:

Yeoman has always been over-priced poncification personified. Heads will roll shirley, If they don't at least the place should have the good grace to close itself down.

The head chef has a season ticket at the AMEX.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I wonder how many people would score a 5 for their kitchen at home ?

Just a couple of quick questions ?

When was the last time you washed your oven gloves ?
When was the last time you completely emptied the fridge and cleaned all the shelves ?

Some of the items that they check are absolutely essential and basic hygiene, other things are maybe less important, as witnessed by the many people who have eaten at low rated places and survived. Also 5 star doesn't mean that the food is actually any good, just that the processes are documented and followed. So cleaning the microwaves, rotating the stock in the freezer and changing the oil in the deep fat fryer, along with a good cleaning routine, is sufficient, whereas serving something as delicious as a steak tartare will guarantee a big red X.

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
It can't be an exhaustive list as I was told earlier today that the two Indians in Findon had scored zero and two, and that my regular takeaway - Eshna's Nutrition in East Worthing - scored one.

A 1? That place should get a 5 just for the legendary family arguments. My dads been going to Eshnas every Saturday for 30 years and hes still going strong so it cant be that bad... ill tell him to wabe next time hes in if he sees someone with a Bozza badge on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here