Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Shingles

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
7.22 a.m. here, just arrived in Boston. Got it down my left side but aching all over right now.
Cheers for the answers, especially the sympathetic responses from the RN contingent. :lolol:

Surely you expected nothing less. :lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Yep, hurts.
Second time I had it it came on a day or two before a friends wedding where I was doing some soppy reading about love. I thought I'd be fine but on the day it was red hot and I had to wear a waistcoat which was somehow tight (I'm over six foot tall and at the time weighed less than 9 stone).
Pissing sweat all over the sores that were being rubbed every time I breathed I got through the piece and was later complimented by many people for my highly emotional and moving delivery.

Anyway, let the air get at the sores and liberal use of calamine lotion (not near the eyes).

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Had it a few years ago and it was horrible, thankfully no long lasting effects like some though! Can't really remember the finer details but I seem to recall that once I had medication it didn't take too long for the uncomfortable to subside, took a bit longer for skin to return to normal though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A friend of mine has shingles of the brain. He has suffered for 20 years with it. Each day he has something else wrong, like his arm will not work or foot will be numb. This changes daily and he will get his arm moving again. He suffers from headaches.

He had his own business importing medical equipment but has had to retire early. He has though traveled the world being paid to visit "experts" who wanted him as a very rare patient to investigate. He now gives talks to medical students and alike.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
I believe shingles always follows a nerve line.
Useless fact but I suppose we must be thankful that you won't go head to toe, like with chicken pox.
Imagine that.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I had it god know show many years ago .. was about 20.. So possible 35 yrs ago. Came up a Friday was going to Portsmouth for the weekend with mates. Slept on the steps of the Guildhall. Mine was a small patch on my right hip felt like needles being pushed down the bone .. bloody painful but found lots of beer helped. When got back saw doc who signed me off because it was contagious. Bloody good weekend but god the Friday at work before was painful. Good luck. hope you get over it soon

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I am old, so I was offered the vaccination against shingles. When I arrived to have the shot I was told the chances I would get shingles was 10000-1. Well, I was there, so I had the jab. Why not?

After reading this thread l’m quite pleased I did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I believe shingles always follows a nerve line.
Useless fact but I suppose we must be thankful that you won't go head to toe, like with chicken pox.
Imagine that.

Oh, I can! I caught it from my kids when they were 11 and 8. I was 33, and hadn't had it in childhood. I was covered head to toe, and internally as well. I had spots inside my nose, inside my mouth and my throat, on my eyelids etc etc. I couldn't eat.
My ex was away at a trade fair, so my next door neighbour, and a dear old friend nursed me and looked after my kids. I was very ill for two weeks.
I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I had shingles a few years back. Didn't get a particularly painful batch, and after a couple of weeks assumed I was better and carried on as normal.

Trouble is you can get something called Postherpetic Neuralgia. Most of what you read online is about the pain, but I didn't really get any pain. I did however, suffer from massive fatigue, depression, and anxiety. Things I'd never experienced before. it was horrible. My head was a mess. There's not much information about these symptoms and doctors tend to treat the physical side of it. I found a forum where people were discussing their shingles and it was a slight comfort to know I wasn't going mad.

So TAKE IT EASY. Rest and rest some more. Steer clear of booze too, quite a few times I thought I must be over it now, and had a few nights out, only to crash again.

Hope you're back to your old self soon.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Day 5 now, back at work since yesterday morning as the new Doctor said I'm not contagious, even though it's worse. Just cracking on, but I must say it's really painful. Best way to describe it is, really bad sunburn, with a blinding headache thrown in for good measure. Blisters are all over the left side of my abdomen & spreading around the back.
Not a good time to be on board, but need to get on with it as I can't really afford to get sent home medical. In this line of work it's really difficult to get back to work if you go home for medical reasons.
We have a union, but they are as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike. 4 weeks of the contract to go, feels like a long way off with this sh*t! :(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Day 5 now, back at work since yesterday morning as the new Doctor said I'm not contagious, even though it's worse. Just cracking on, but I must say it's really painful. Best way to describe it is, really bad sunburn, with a blinding headache thrown in for good measure. Blisters are all over the left side of my abdomen & spreading around the back.
Not a good time to be on board, but need to get on with it as I can't really afford to get sent home medical. In this line of work it's really difficult to get back to work if you go home for medical reasons.
We have a union, but they are as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike. 4 weeks of the contract to go, feels like a long way off with this sh*t! :(

You can take paracetamol as well as ibruprofen, which might help with the pain, unless you have access to codeine.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I had shingles a few years back. Didn't get a particularly painful batch, and after a couple of weeks assumed I was better and carried on as normal.

Trouble is you can get something called Postherpetic Neuralgia. Most of what you read online is about the pain, but I didn't really get any pain. I did however, suffer from massive fatigue, depression, and anxiety. Things I'd never experienced before. it was horrible. My head was a mess. There's not much information about these symptoms and doctors tend to treat the physical side of it. I found a forum where people were discussing their shingles and it was a slight comfort to know I wasn't going mad.

So TAKE IT EASY. Rest and rest some more. Steer clear of booze too, quite a few times I thought I must be over it now, and had a few nights out, only to crash again.

Hope you're back to your old self soon.

This. Had it about 20 years ago and i can remember a fiery, prickly sunburn patch about the size of a saucer on my back, combined with chronic fatigue - went back to bed Saturday morning woke up Sunday night. I'm 52 and that is by far the longest sleep of my life and yes it does nock you for six and will take longer than you think to get 100 % over it.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Just been isolated in my cabin with shingles. Quite painful right now.
Anyone experienced this? Just checked online & it says 2-4 weeks FFS!
My Dad had shingles just over a year ago and it took him around 6 months to get fully over the symptoms. Half his face and head was covered in a rash and the headaches he had caused him to cry out in pain. The nerves in his skin were badly affected and this is what took so long to heal. He had a very severe case - hope yours isn't and that you get well soon [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Another update for anyone who's unfortunate enough to get this.

It's been 4 weeks now & still painful. Definitely the worst thing is not getting good sleep because of the pain. Once you wake up, that's it, you're awake. Then the whole day is just a struggle.
Fly home from Quebec on Friday, so I'll be hoping to see a proper doctor the following week.
It really is much worse than I thought it would be. I'm quite an active person, I like my running & going to the gym, but with this it's impossible.
I went for a run last week to see how it went; I managed to do a 10k, but the pain was twice as bad for the 2 days after, so not doing anything now, which is quite depressing.
I know us blokes are not good with ailments, women tend to just get on with things, but blimey this is horrible.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

It's been 4 weeks now & still painful. Definitely the worst thing is not getting good sleep because of the pain. Once you wake up, that's it, you're awake. Then the whole day is just a struggle.
Fly home from Quebec on Friday, so I'll be hoping to see a proper doctor the following week.
It really is much worse than I thought it would be. I'm quite an active person, I like my running & going to the gym, but with this it's impossible.
I went for a run last week to see how it went; I managed to do a 10k, but the pain was twice as bad for the 2 days after, so not doing anything now, which is quite depressing.
I know us blokes are not good with ailments, women tend to just get on with things, but blimey this is horrible.

Crumb of comfort ..you’ve done four weeks so that’s four weeks less you will have to get through..chin up and rather you than me :D

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I still have the last remnants of shingles on the neck, started 3 months ago.

Best to avoid arginine-rich foods like nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, coconut.

Whenever I've succumbed to temptation and eaten any of these, the itching has come back.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey

Agree had it a few years ago,very,very painful. Took me several months to get over it. Thankfully has not returned. Was told by my doctor it will not return to the area where you had it. Good luck,hope you recover soon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here