Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club / England allegiances

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I found this to be an interesting piece, partly because I had no idea it had kicked off in Amsterdam on Friday until I read it, but also because of the discussion around Club v Country allegiances >>> http://bit.ly/2IWt07z

"Gareth Southgate’s team put in a very promising performance in Holland, with a team he is developing playing passing football, with pace, pressing and movement. It is a welcome stylistic diversion and one which should at least have piqued our interest with the World Cup approaching. Instead I’m left thinking about the idiots in Amsterdam, a reminder of why England don’t mean anything like as much to me as my club side anymore. As a lover of beer, diversity, multiculturalism and simply having harmless fun, many of those who follow the team are people to whom I simply cannot and do not want to relate."

How well does this statement reflect your own feelings on Ing-er-land?

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
I found this to be an interesting piece, partly because I had no idea it had kicked off in Amsterdam on Friday until I read it, but also because of the discussion around Club v Country allegiances >>> http://bit.ly/2IWt07z

"Gareth Southgate’s team put in a very promising performance in Holland, with a team he is developing playing passing football, with pace, pressing and movement. It is a welcome stylistic diversion and one which should at least have piqued our interest with the World Cup approaching. Instead I’m left thinking about the idiots in Amsterdam, a reminder of why England don’t mean anything like as much to me as my club side anymore. As a lover of beer, diversity, multiculturalism and simply having harmless fun, many of those who follow the team are people to whom I simply cannot and do not want to relate."

I cant support a big nosed palace prick that ruined 1996 for me. If he went and dunk was in the team. Would I change? 100% yes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Club.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

"Gareth Southgate’s team put in a very promising performance in Holland, with a team he is developing playing passing football, with pace, pressing and movement.

I don’t think the performance was particularly encouraging. The 3-at-the-back system will be found out when we play a decent side if we decide to send the team to Russia. I can’t see Sterling, Kane & Ali having any form (again) in a major tournament either. Picking Dunk or Murray would have raised my interest but I’m a bit over the whole England thing now.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
same, there are some great England groups but it really brings out the embarassment of Brits (well England) abroad

Why the feck are they still persisting singing songs about the IRA and German Bombers, makes me cringe. Only tournament I went to was Portugal 2004, and the other fans, well just know how to enjoy their drink and football with out getting totally lashed and being offensive with it

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Always club with little/waning interest in national side. Nothing to do with 'relating' to other fans though or us supposedly 'embarassing' ourselves. Really just couldn't care less.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Club all the way. Interest in England probably at all time low. Didn’t even know we were playing Friday until I read about the disgusting behaviour of the English fans in Holland. Then didn’t realise we were playing Italy until it was almost over - switched channels to watch last 10 mins and we had a player interviewed after who I’d never ever heard of. If we improve I’m sure things will change though. But always club above England.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Definitely club. I would rather international football went away and died.

When I was younger, I loved the England team, but continual disappointment at tournaments stopped that. I often went to England games at Wembley but the experience was ruined by a large minority of 'fans' who were simply there for the aggro and were more interested in not so casual racism. It is sad that 30 years on and this kind of moronic attitude is still alive and well.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I enjoy watching England at home but I do now find the 'No Surrender' supporters an utter embarrassment and totally out of date

boik

Definitely club. I would rather international football went away and died.

When I was younger, I loved the England team, but continual disappointment at tournaments stopped that. I often went to England games at Wembley but the experience was ruined by a large minority of 'fans' who were simply there for the aggro and were more interested in not so casual racism. It is sad that 30 years on and this kind of moronic attitude is still alive and well.

I don’t get this argument. Brighton were pretty crap in the past and there was certainly trouble at matches and yet that didn’t put you off supporting the Albion.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Club all the way, I can't even watch England play, I switched over after 15 minutes and watched Germany V Brazil, which was like watching The PL compared to National League South.
However, I reserve the right, because I am English and like football, that IF we do well in the World Cup and progress in the tournament that I will watch it and get behind them, just like a Chelsea fan.
But it ain't gonna happen, it's not just the football but also the blazers and the fans, everything about the set up.
Having said all that, I was so impressed with the younger squads recently, I wish the senior squad put the same effort and pride into it.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Difficult to support a team with those sort of supporters as seen in Amsterdam in the fan base, represent some of the worst elements of this country and is pretty embarrassing.

Will still want them to win in the tournament but not that fussed. Very apparent the other night when all I really wanted was Propper to score.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Went to every tournament from 1982 to 2006 where I finally lost interest. Loved going to England but weirdly it changed when the banning orders started. In the old days the lads who went while capable of much nastier levels of violence but at least knew how to conduct themselves in normal society. It was only when it went off that things got out of hand, the rest of the time things self policed themselves. In Germany, I saw absolute idiots throwing beer over normal Swedish fans including Women, bullying in Stuttgart of shoppers in the town centre and all sorts of snide behaviour. It disgusted me so much I stopped going.

The demographic of England's following has become significantly younger due to the banning orders and without some older heads enforcing at least some standards of behaviour the kids are running riot. Some of the incidents in Amsterdam would've been dealt with by the issuing of a well deserved slap previously now anything goes by the look of things.

Still club and country for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There isn't a corner of this planet without an embarrassing English man, with or without football.

The football team (and our media) pooped the bed a long time ago.

Club.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Club
I will watch the World Cup and hope that England do well (but I doubt very much that we will). I normally enjoy the competitions more after England have been knocked out because there's less pressure then and you can enjoy the matches just for the football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to every tournament from 1982 to 2006 where I finally lost interest. Loved going to England but weirdly it changed when the banning orders started. In the old days the lads who went while capable of much nastier levels of violence but at least knew how to conduct themselves in normal society. It was only when it went off that things got out of hand, the rest of the time things self policed themselves. In Germany, I saw absolute idiots throwing beer over normal Swedish fans including Women, bullying in Stuttgart of shoppers in the town centre and all sorts of snide behaviour. It disgusted me so much I stopped going.

The demographic of England's following has become significantly younger due to the banning orders and without some older heads enforcing at least some standards of behaviour the kids are running riot. Some of the incidents in Amsterdam would've been dealt with by the issuing of a well deserved slap previously now anything goes by the look of things.

Still club and country for me.

Pretty much my feelings. I lost all interest due to some absolutely atrocious supporters and the players sense of entitlement. I also got sick and tired of the players and the supporters bigging themselves up and staking their claim as potential winners when it was patently obvious they were lacking in so many areas.

Last game I went to was about 10 to 15 years ago. I was never a hard core supporter but always used to go to watch the games and went to Wembley a few times and did Russia and Azerbaijan both away.

To be fair it ties in with my general move away from football support as a whole; I will always watch the Albion but have zero interest in football beyond Brighton these days.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Any idea what problems England fans caused in Amsterdam?
I saw 2 videos on Twitter, one of some lads singing next to a canal, another one of some lads throwing beer onto a tourist boat from a bridge.
In the videos the lads looked late teens and early 20s, I didn't see them throwing chairs or fighting.
Throwing beer onto a tourist boat probably wasn't funny for the boat passengers, but I seem to see regular videos of young fans throwing beer in stadium concourses week in week out, stewards seem happy for this to carry on.

Any serious trouble happen in Amsterdam?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here