Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rockery Gardens Damaged.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Where was Les Ferdinand when this happened?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"Volunteers who look after the garden also received reports of a large number of youths on top of the chalet roof trying to set fire to it."

Why?!

Sums up the ****ing moronic, mindless stupidity of the people who did this - quite aside from anything else, why would you try to set fire to something while standing on it?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
As garden manager in the Rockery, let me explain a bit more about the incidents over the past week or so.

Firstly, i've looked after the garden for over 16 years now. In that time, i don't think i've ever seen such systematic criminal damage as i have this week.

It all started last thursday, 11th August when a section of the bridge was smashed up and the pieces thrown liberally around the garden and in the pond. This was reported to the police on their non emergency number and a crime no obtained.

Then, on Sunday 14th, i came into work to conduct a guided walk of the garden to anyone who wanted to come along. On this occasion, a large number of mature herbaceous perennial plants were pulled up and thrown everywhere. There were limbs broken off trees and conifers and there was a huge amount of litter around the garden and in the pond. The garden looked like a scene from Beirut and for the first time ever, i was actually ashamed of putting my name to the garden. Reported to police blah blah

Monday 15th, i received an email from our office from a member of the public saying she had seen a large group of youths on the chalet roof trying to set fire to it. She took a photo of the smoke....shame she didn't phone 999!!!!!!

Tues 14th and the 3rd section of bridge was kicked in. Shingles were also removed from the chalet roof. 101 informed about bridge and attempted arson.

Every day, i'm coming to work and there's tons of litter strewn all over the grass and thrown in the pond. The police are aware of what's going on but what can they do unless they actually catch someone in the act of criminal damage?

If anyone sees anything that could resemble anti social behaviour or criminal damage, please give the OB a call on 101 or 999 if serious. The more it's flagged up to them, the more change we have of getting some police patrols.

In the meantime, thank you for bringing this up....it's pretty soul destroying to come in every morning and see that some low life scum has destroyed another small part of the garden.

Cheers, Andy

very sorry to hear this, was there a couple of weeks ago, everyone was enjoying the sunshine. Hope they leave St Peters alone, isn't it the oldest building in Brighton?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Every day, i'm coming to work and there's tons of litter strewn all over the grass and thrown in the pond. The police are aware of what's going on but what can they do unless they actually catch someone in the act of criminal damage?

What can they do? They could patrol the area for a start! And respond quickly to any reports. It almost looks as if they're not too keen to confront large groups that might get violent, preferring to go for softer targets (as another poster has pointed out elsewhere on this thread, they're more likely to arrest a law abiding father protecting his family than they are to attempt to arrest the mob of youths throwing stones that the father is trying to protect his family from).

The other point to be taken from this thread is that ringing 101 is useless; nothing ever seems to happen, except maybe someone somewhere makes a note of it and files it away. Go straight to 999!

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
The other point to be taken from this thread is that ringing 101 is useless; nothing ever seems to happen, except maybe someone somewhere makes a note of it and files it away. Go straight to 999!

As frustrating as it is, i can't call 999 on a monday for something that happened over the past weekend and as soul destroying as it is, there are far more serious crimes going on out there that the police should be attending.
People can only be prosecuted for the crimes if they're caught doing it or witnesses come forward with sufficient evidence. My father spent 35 years as a dog handler with Sussex finest so i know first hand just how frustrating it can be. However, the more we flag it up or publicise what's happening, the better chance we have of stopping it.

Thanks again

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Feel really sorry for all the people and volunteers who work there.

But, If you see anything like this going on, do something about it. If you're happy to, confront them. As an adult I have always confronted teenagers when they are being dickheads and never got into trouble. (If I thought there was too many, or were seriously worried about it, phone the police on 999, but DO SOMETHING).

Maybe i've been incredibly lucky but I believe the instances of people being beaten up because they confronted them are (thankfully) still really small, but like everything else, get put all over the press and stop people from acting. When i was a kid every adult would confront a teenager who was playing up and we need to get back to that. (And before anyone says it there were still feral kids back then)

'The police always side with them and i'd get into trouble' is bollocks. If you allow it to happen, it will.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
As garden manager in the Rockery, let me explain a bit more about the incidents over the past week or so.

Firstly, i've looked after the garden for over 16 years now. In that time, i don't think i've ever seen such systematic criminal damage as i have this week.

It all started last thursday, 11th August when a section of the bridge was smashed up and the pieces thrown liberally around the garden and in the pond. This was reported to the police on their non emergency number and a crime no obtained.

Then, on Sunday 14th, i came into work to conduct a guided walk of the garden to anyone who wanted to come along. On this occasion, a large number of mature herbaceous perennial plants were pulled up and thrown everywhere. There were limbs broken off trees and conifers and there was a huge amount of litter around the garden and in the pond. The garden looked like a scene from Beirut and for the first time ever, i was actually ashamed of putting my name to the garden. Reported to police blah blah

Monday 15th, i received an email from our office from a member of the public saying she had seen a large group of youths on the chalet roof trying to set fire to it. She took a photo of the smoke....shame she didn't phone 999!!!!!!

Tues 14th and the 3rd section of bridge was kicked in. Shingles were also removed from the chalet roof. 101 informed about bridge and attempted arson.

If anyone sees anything that could resemble anti social behaviour or criminal damage, please give the OB a call on 101 or 999 if serious. The more it's flagged up to them, the more change we have of getting some police patrols.

In the meantime, thank you for bringing this up....it's pretty soul destroying to come in every morning and see that some low life scum has destroyed another small part of the garden.

Cheers, Andy

cheers Jevs. Breaks my heart to read this. I hope the f******g scum have something like that happen to them one day
or even worse happens to them..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its like the lowlife FILTH who shattered about a dozen glass panels on the new Shoreham footbridge. Utterly pointless mindless vandalism. The council replaced them initially, but whenever I walk over it, there’s usually several shattered panels still there. I gather they’re about a grand a pop, so the council have probably given up replacing them now.

Some people should be drowned at birth.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Its like the lowlife FILTH who shattered about a dozen glass panels on the new Shoreham footbridge. Utterly pointless mindless vandalism. The council replaced them initially, but whenever I walk over it, there’s usually several shattered panels still there. I gather they’re about a grand a pop, so the council have probably given up replacing them now.

Some people should be drowned at birth.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...951257&usg=AFQjCNHi_9E7qGqGJc_CfRV8AzwSbm8EDQ

Smashed glass on a new footbridge was caused by a chemical impurity, rather than vandalism, it has emerged.

CCTV cameras were installed on the £10m Adur Ferry Bridge in Shoreham, West Sussex, and police patrols stepped up after six glass panels were thought to have been deliberately smashed.

An investigation commissioned by West Sussex County Council has now found the damaged glass was due to an impurity.

The council said contractors were looking at how to remedy the situation.

The chemical impurity, called nickel sulphide, was discovered following extensive testing of the glass.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It wasn't vandalism though.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...951257&usg=AFQjCNHi_9E7qGqGJc_CfRV8AzwSbm8EDQ
Smashed glass on a new footbridge was caused by a chemical impurity, rather than vandalism, it has emerged.

CCTV cameras were installed on the £10m Adur Ferry Bridge in Shoreham, West Sussex, and police patrols stepped up after six glass panels were thought to have been deliberately smashed.

An investigation commissioned by West Sussex County Council has now found the damaged glass was due to an impurity.

The chemical impurity, called nickel sulphide, was discovered following extensive testing of the glass.

Oh. So I got my DANDER up for nothing then. :lolol:

As you were.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Fair enough, but some people should still be drowned at birth anyway!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
As frustrating as it is, i can't call 999 on a monday for something that happened over the past weekend and as soul destroying as it is, there are far more serious crimes going on out there that the police should be attending.
People can only be prosecuted for the crimes if they're caught doing it or witnesses come forward with sufficient evidence. My father spent 35 years as a dog handler with Sussex finest so i know first hand just how frustrating it can be. However, the more we flag it up or publicise what's happening, the better chance we have of stopping it.

Thanks again

Maybe changing the title of the thread to something more active - 'Preston Park Rockery Gardens Damaged can you help find the culprits' or for those who think this my be 'grassing' be 'Can you help prevent Preston Park Rockery Gardens from being further damaged'.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Very sad to hear about this and I hope the culprits are found soon.

Living in Derbyshire I don't come back to Sussex more than a few times a year these days. At the end of last season I brought my Grandad down to a game at the Amex and he made us stop at The Rockery. He told me that was where he took my Nan for their first date and its one of his favourite places because of that. They married a few months later and 51 years later they're still together.
I'm sure there is hundreds of stories just like that, lets hope the vandalism stops and more people can enjoy it for years to come.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What a thoroughly depressing thread. As a responsible member of society, I am both disgusted and appalled at the mindless acts described, as a keen gardener I am angered that the hard work you've put in [MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION] has been treated this way. I know it's worse, but if a loved plant dies, I always see it as an opportunity for improvement or change. Keep up the good work mate!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
[MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION]

Unfortunately the rockery lends itself to drunk idiots. The only thing I can think you could do install taller fencing and gates to lock up between “unsociable hours”, maybe with a few motion detectors and cameras. With that include a trespassers notice with a fixed fine of up to £1000.

The problem currently is that you have to witness the vandalism, whereas just entering the area could be made illegal between set times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here