Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Will we have more money to spend on our International aid budget now though, post Brexit, helping education in Pakistan? There's lots of British Muslim citizens of Pakistani heritage, so I do hope so.

More money.. aren't we already spending more than most? Perhaps funding for services like the NHS would be a better use of the billions that will become available after we officially leave.

Saying that I would agree education in Pakistan needs funding but most of all it needs to be detached from any religious indoctrination.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
More money.. aren't we already spending more than most? Perhaps funding for services like the NHS would be a better use of the billions that will become available after we officially leave.

Saying that I would agree education in Pakistan needs funding but most of all it needs to be detached from any religious indoctrination.

In all seriousness, post Brexit we need to use the international aid budget much more strategically for purposes of influence, in my opinion. All Whitehall budgets need to be increased. I believe Pakistan is still the biggest recipient of International Aid from The UK. There are lot of very nice law abiding, Muslim fellow British citizens of Pakistani heritage, don't forget. We have to help pay for education in Pakistan because their government prioritises defence because of India and can't compete with their southern neighbours.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In all seriousness, post Brexit we need to use the international aid budget much more strategically for purposes of influence, in my opinion. All Whitehall budgets need to be increased. I believe Pakistan is still the biggest recipient of International Aid from The UK. There are lot of very nice law abiding, Muslim fellow British citizens of Pakistani heritage, don't forget. We have to help pay for education in Pakistan because their government prioritises defence because of India and can't compete with their southern neighbours.

I agree using the aid budget should be (partly) used to further our interests/strategic influence but think there are far more pressing home grown priorities which our EU membership fee should be spent on.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Ooooooo pot and kettle.

I thought having regular hissy vapours was your raison d'être as was ongoing hypocrisy/double standards/phoney pomposity. For the record it was factually correct to say that Turkey was 'set to join the EU' as it is one of the accession countries which is why the EU was and is spending billions of Euro's to make it happen.

You're confusing me with yourself. The accepted meaning of 'set to' according to English usage is to be on the point of. Turkey is not on the point of joining the EU as you well know. It was grossly misleading and you will know that too. Even a UKIP spin doctor would know that and you're not one of those as far as I know. Actually, come to think of it...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You're confusing me with yourself. The accepted meaning of 'set to' according to English usage is to be on the point of. Turkey is not on the point of joining the EU as you well know. It was grossly misleading and you will know that too. Even a UKIP spin doctor would know that and you're not one of those as far as I know. Actually, come to think of it...

The first two definitions on a google search would prove you wrong.

set to
phrasal verb of set
begin doing something vigorously.

to start working or dealing with something in an energetic and determined way:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The first two definitions on a google search would prove you wrong.

set to
phrasal verb of set
begin doing something vigorously.

to start working or dealing with something in an energetic and determined way:

Unfortunately you have made a mistake. You are considering the words 'set to' in the (pleasantly old fashioned) sense of 'Daisy set to the task of making the cake'. In this context the definition you googled is correct. But we (and Boris, UKIP and the Leave campaign) were clearly talking about a different use - as in 'Lewis was set to take the chequered flag.' It is in this context that the truth of the claim 'Turkey is set to join the EU' should be judged.

Jan 30, 2008
Unfortunately you have made a mistake. You are considering the words 'set to' in the (pleasantly old fashioned) sense of 'Daisy set to the task of making the cake'. In this context the definition you googled is correct. But we (and Boris, UKIP and the Leave campaign) were clearly talking about a different use - as in 'Lewis was set to take the chequered flag.' It is in this context that the truth of the claim 'Turkey is set to join the EU' should be judged.

what a load of tosh ..............STILL SULKING AFTER BREXIT:wink:
regards
DR

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Over an hour of searching for a definition that better suits your agenda and that's the best you can do .. :facepalm:

To use your dubious, inaccurate definition, Lewis was allowed to enter the race, compete in the race, funded by the race organisers to get to the finish line but not apparently allowed to reach it?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Over an hour of searching for a definition that better suits your agenda and that's the best you can do .. :facepalm:

To use your dubious, inaccurate definition, Lewis was allowed to enter the race, compete in the race, funded by the race organisers to get to the finish line but not apparently allowed to reach it?

I didn't spend any time searching for a definition. What I do for a living depends on an understanding of English usage. Your second sentence makes no sense at all.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I didn't spend any time searching for a definition. What I do for a living depends on an understanding of English usage. Your second sentence makes no sense at all.

Of course you didn't. Who cares what you do for a living? My second sentence clearly shows you are talking bollox.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Ooooooo pot and kettle.

I thought having regular hissy vapours was your raison d'être as was ongoing hypocrisy/double standards/phoney pomposity. For the record it was factually correct to say that Turkey was 'set to join the EU' as it is one of the accession countries which is why the EU was and is spending billions of Euro's to make it happen.

By that logic we're set to land a man on mars; it's an active NASA mission and they're spending billions of dollars to make it happen.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Why has the Calais border become so buggered? Are the French right or are they taking the piss with their extra security and diminished man power recently.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's because sensibly we haven't started the exit process. This is what has happened so far:

Brexiteers win referendum
Markets crash
Brexiteers don't trigger Brexit
Markets recover
Brexiteers say markets like Brexit

Desperate. Just desperate!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
what a load of tosh ..............STILL SULKING AFTER BREXIT:wink:
regards
DR

We haven't actually started, let alone completed Brexit, so how could one sulk after it?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for proving my point .. I am certain it will happen in our lifetime.

This is silly but Lincoln Imp is right. It's purposefully misleading. You would say 'Burnley set to launch improved offer for Dunk' you wouldn't say 'NASA set to put man on mars by 2030', it is bad English. 'Set to' implies a short time frame. Ready, set, go. Set the timer to 45 minutes and bake at 200. etc.

Turkey is not set to join the EU and never was.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This is silly but Lincoln Imp is right. It's purposefully misleading. You would say 'Burnley set to launch improved offer for Dunk' you wouldn't say 'NASA set to put man on mars by 2030', it is bad English. 'Set to' implies a short time frame. Ready, set, go. Set the timer to 45 minutes and bake at 200. etc.

[MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] is rarely right about anything. 'Set to' implies it may well happen which is exactly what the EU thinks unless you can explain why they were spending Billions to make it happen.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Apparently, as ive been informed, people shouldn’t take everything so literally.
Doesn’t matter what is said its all open to interpretation and might not even have been meant in the first place even though it was said…….. this is all dependant on which side you are on of course.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
[MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] is rarely right about anything. 'Set to' implies it may well happen which is exactly what the EU thinks unless you can explain why they were spending Billions to make it happen.

You would have thought if Turkey was never going to join The EU someone important from that organisation would have said so.
Maybe even handed their application back with a "no thanks".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here