Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] East Sussex County Council cuts services to 'legal minimum'

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's because they have an unelectable leader. That and only that.
Yes. No one knows Corbyn stands for. He opposed Brexit but really we know that historically he was anti EU. The same dichotomy exists with the conservatives. We have a remainer leading Brexit. No wonder our country is in the political doldrums.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But so have the Tories :lol:

FWIW I have no idea who's leading the Liberals? (Is it still the gay homosexual hater?)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So under Labour everything's great,

I struggle to see how they could screw up the country even more than the Tories have. Even if his policies are just mildly coherent it will be a start.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

At least Labour have a leader. It’s a start.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Before councils start moaning they should look at themselves to see the amount of money wasted before cutting services. Here in Hangleton we have rubbish bins being emptied on a Sunday(probably double time) and all sorts of grants being issued for less than worthy causes. A group I am involved in applied for and received a grant for equipment that was not necessary but could be used as the money was available. Although elections are not frequent council staff work in the polling stations and get paid for working there at the same time as getting their normal wage. If they want to work on the elections they should take a days leave. I am sure there are council staff who could give many more examples of wasted time and money which, if dealt with, would reduce the debts considerably.

I will not budge an inch from my OP.
But you are right some councils more than others have, down the years wasted money which is also shocking
I think that the cruel cuts will have sorted this out, I hope so.
But it is because it is not their money, you could say the same across the board massive waste in defence, education, health etc.
Every pound of our tax pounds should be accounted for but it seems it never has been.
But the unnecessary austerity for the sake of it cuts is wicked to the people that heavily rely on council services.
Why am I always being told that only the conservatives will give us our strong economy.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am not a real Labour supporter... but I have sympathy for a lot of Corbyn's views. He does not demonstrate real leadership skills............
However it is obvious that more needs to be spent on Social Services .

Nb. It is no good blaming Amazon for paying less than expected, it is up to Hammond to plug the loophole.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nb. It is no good blaming Amazon for paying less than expected, it is up to Hammond to plug the loophole.
True but turkey's don't usually vote for Christmas.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But so have the Tories :lol:

FWIW I have no idea who's leading the Liberals? (Is it still the gay homosexual hater?)

No he did the right thing and resigned because of what he believed in!

Far more morals than Corbyn who is like a bad fart that hangs around stopping the Labour Party from being a decent opposition to the current idiots!

One of the biggest problems is years and years of out-sourcing - contracts cleaning for example costs the councils probaby double the minimum wage to pay contract companies to clean their offices. Also, like many enterprises councils need guaranteed consistent supplies of many products. Therefore they take out large expensive contracts with other large enterprises and pay a massive premium. An old firm i used to work for did this and we used to get billed like £1000 for a pretty basic Dell windows 7 computer which at the time i could buy retail for about £450 from Comets (going back a few years) and when i queried this i was told as the cost includes "free" replacements and extended warranty. I know this goes on in councils too. They could easily employee people to do the "shopping around" for the current best deals and save millions.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Start charging students council tax. They use the services the same as us, they (or the landlord) should pay for them.
They are going to do that in Plymouth soon, our new Labour council said so a while back.

The same council leader who, when I complained about my essential workers permit going up from £100 to £300 under Tories 'promised' to fight it. I voted for him, they got in, guess what, he is now ignoring me.
F*****g politicians, all the same mugging us off.
If I could be certain that the £200 extra was going to children's services I would not mind so much but it still makes my piss boil.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One of the biggest problems is years and years of out-sourcing - contracts cleaning for example costs the councils probaby double the minimum wage to pay contract companies to clean their offices.

unlikely. if it was more expensive, why would they do it? the substantial on-costs, in particular pensions, are why it works out cheaper to outsource. how this usually doesnt apply in the long term for capital assets, there you have short termism and balance sheet manipulation. but business do all this too, so they may be just following trends to some degree.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
And Somerset, and I would guess many others on the brink.
Appalling cuts when the councils have to deal with vulnerable children, fostering, adoption amongst many other so important issues.
Council tax will rise along with every other penny they can get their hands on.
The government seems to think that councils should survive on their income alone, with more cuts to come next year.
Kids who get free school meals in Plymouth are going hungry in the holidays.
Today on R4 women cant afford sanitary towels, or stuff to keep themselves clean, kids turning up dirty.
Food banks 13% up on stuff for kids.
Schools begging for pencils.
Bangladesh? Haiti? Ethiopia?
No.
Britain in the 21st century.
I wish this cruel, wicked Government, who seem to get nearly everything wrong and clearly hate the poor and needy would just go away.
Its all very sad.

If parents can't afford to feed their children, then they need help to manage their spending, not blame 'The Government'

Once we have left the EU we can scrap the VAT on women's sanitary products and make them cheaper. One of the benefits of Brexit.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Yet the Government can shake the money tree at a moments notice to find £1 Billion for the DUP (Danegeld) £30 Million for President Trump to pop over for a couple of rounds of golf, £34 Million to fund the wedding of Prince Harry I could go on, I keep saying the money is there it's how we choose to spend it!

Let's not forget the sum of up to £7bn (Guardian figure) to rebuild the Houses of Parliament, I can't remember any MPs of any persuasion complaining about that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Didn't say they were spongers, just think they should contribute to local services if they are going to live here. Doesn't have to be 100%, but 8 students in a HMO generate a lot of waste, use roads and local amenities and should contribute to the police force that keep them safe.

How about increasing council tax on families who have children at home, as they will produce more waste, use roads and local amenities and should contribute more to the police force. Why should a family of 2 pay the same as a family of 4 in the same street.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
How about increasing council tax on families who have children at home, as they will produce more waste, use roads and local amenities and should contribute more to the police force. Why should a family of 2 pay the same as a family of 4 in the same street.

Because these are services provided based on need and paid for collectively?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Doesn't matter who is in power too many people take the piss and then moan the services are shit. If you pay **** all in you don't deserve to get **** all out. Why should your next door neighbour get up go to work wihile you claim this that and the other then complain the waiting list for your bad back is too long.

Also the council is run by pc idiots that love wasting money, they should be run like a business by proper business men/women rather than limp wristed health and safety red tape loving twats. Go into Hove town hall and see the slowest workers ever, that's if they are not on their 2 hourly comfort break or seeing the overpaid councillor who will sign them off for 6 months because of stress.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Winker;8551887[B said:
]If parents can't afford to feed their children, then they need help to manage their spending[/B], not blame 'The Government'

Once we have left the EU we can scrap the VAT on women's sanitary products and make them cheaper. One of the benefits of Brexit.

They have very little to spend thanks to the Minimum Wage and Zero Hours economy we now have, oh, and yes, after we leave the EU we can scrap the VAT on sanitary products and make them cheaper but, a, do you trust the Tories to do it ? and, b, the family savings on such products will be swallowed up by all the increases in food prices when we leave.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yes. We could call it the Poll Tax. :)

This went well last time it was tried in 1990...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here