Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I can't understand why people are wetting themselves about this when you look at the bare fact that we will lose him for nothing in the summer. If we can get £750k now to contribute towards a better replacement that might be more suited to OG's future tactics then it is fantastic business. Surely even the most ardent Ashley fan couldn't tell me that he is make or break for the remainder of this season to the point where we can piss £750k up the wall??
Anyone would think we were selling Ulloa based on some of the reaction on this thread!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
They are very happy that they have 'stolen' our top scorer from under our noses...

http://nonaynever.net/18080/barnes-signing-is-a-metaphor/

"The signing of Ashley Barnes is more than that though. It affects more than just tactics. It’s a metaphor. A metaphor for commitment, belief and increasing ambitions. It’s a message to the rest of the league but more importantly though, it’s a message to ourselves."

Jesus wept. We are taking them to the cleaners!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It does seem difficult to pass any slightly negative comment about the bloke without being treated like a "hater". It is strange how he polarises opinions.

Yep true, I think what causes arguments is people who can't see what he gives a team aside from as a goalscorer, you can understand people disliking a player as we all disagree on things in life but most of the time it's the way these people do seem to 'hate' him by not acknowledging anything good about the bloke.

I find it exceptionally boring to be honest, same argument on every single Barnes thread it's ridiculous.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep true, I think what causes arguments is people who can't see what he gives a team aside from as a goalscorer, you can understand people disliking a player as we all disagree on things in life but most of the time it's the way these people do seem to 'hate' him by not acknowledging anything good about the bloke.

I find it exceptionally boring to be honest, same argument on every single Barnes thread it's ridiculous.

I acknowledge that he has played well this season, and has scored a few goals. He always gave 100% (whatever that means) and was tenacious alll over the pitch. However, he was soon to be 3rd choice striker (when CMS is fit) and possibly 4th behind Obika. We did well to get some money for him before he ran his contract down. Bye Bye Ashley, it's been emotional.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Argument is fine. It is the personal abuse where someone has a different opinion, or even dismissing of views with "JCL". You are right - it is ridiculous.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can't understand why people are wetting themselves about this when you look at the bare fact that we will lose him for nothing in the summer. If we can get £750k now to contribute towards a better replacement that might be more suited to OG's future tactics then it is fantastic business. Surely even the most ardent Ashley fan couldn't tell me that he is make or break for the remainder of this season to the point where we can piss £750k up the wall??
Anyone would think we were selling Ulloa based on some of the reaction on this thread!

100% correct. An average Championship striker (by which I mean a good, not great, player) goes to Burnley to sit on their bench, pending Ings possible sale. He would have left us for nowt in the summer. We now have more than £750k to put towards a 'replacement', rather than £0. This is very good business for the Albion.

Ash was our Ulloa backup, sometimes played alongside him. Ulloa is our inarguable number 1 striker. Personally, I see CMS as our number 2 striker simply because he can complement Ulloa better than Barnes can (providing he gets back with the pace he had previously). We WILL replace Barnes. If we landed Joe Mason, for example, we would be getting in a player with a similar, if not better, track record.

From the posts of some on here you would think the Albion's world had come crashing down around their ears. The truth is that Barnes' departure is far far less significant than Ince signing his contract extension.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I acknowledge that he has played well this season, and has scored a few goals. He always gave 100% (whatever that means) and was tenacious alll over the pitch. However, he was soon to be 3rd choice striker (when CMS is fit) and possibly 4th behind Obika. We did well to get some money for him before he ran his contract down. Bye Bye Ashley, it's been emotional.

That's not right. Under Gus and Oscar he has always had a place in the team because they can see what he offers.. He is seen as more then a striker because he offers so much else to the team. Sadly he has never been properly appreciated by the 'fans' at this club and I hope that this deal does not come back to haunt us.
If you watch him in matches, he takes up fantastic positions in the box and considering he has played wide on the left for the last few years his goal return is exceptional.
Sad day for the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
However, he was soon to be 3rd choice striker (when CMS is fit) and possibly 4th behind Obika.

Those two statements are really based on a lot of 'hope'.

There have been many players seen their careers ended by the CMS type injury. I'm not sure what we'll see from CMS. It could take him 6 more months to get back playing to the level he was at, if he ever can. Not even sure we should be equating CMS into our plans. Massive boost if he does make it back, but I fear for him I really do.

As for Obika, who knows what we'll get from him. How many loan strikers have we had over the past 3 seasons who have done really well?

Barnes would still be second choice striker for me, but the fact he can also play in midfield and is that flexible, I like others would rather see him stay, even at the loss of a fee, than be weakened by his departure.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That's not right. Under Gus and Oscar he has always had a place in the team because they can see what he offers.. He is seen as more then a striker because he offers so much else to the team. Sadly he has never been properly appreciated by the 'fans' at this club and I hope that this deal does not come back to haunt us.
If you watch him in matches, he takes up fantastic positions in the box and considering he has played wide on the left for the last few years his goal return is exceptional.
Sad day for the club.

His goal return should be a lot better than it is.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm fairly indifferent about Barnes; he is certainly worth his place in the squad but is by no means a star player. £750k is a good deal considering that he had 6 months left, and should enable us to bring in someone else - hopefully someone with more potential.

It's amusing that Burnley fans think it's a result they have stolen our top scorer. Both Crofts and Ulloa have scored as many without the advantage of taking two penalties, and Ulloa has played half as many games.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Your one-eyed opinion is all about the goals he's scored. There is much more to his game than that (e.g. creating chances for other by lay-offs, passes and through balls, pressuring defenders and moving them out of position and I've lost count of the times his clearing headers have saved the day at opposition corners.

Let's look at this objectively; on the one hand Gus rated him, Oscar rates him, Leeds rate him, Burnley rate him. On the other hand you don't.

No brainer.

He certainly is trier. And there is a place in the squad for people who put in 100% every game and work really really hard. If we are serious about promotion though, we need our frontline strikers scoring goals. Thems the facts.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Medical and Meeting with Burnley

I'm fairly indifferent about Barnes; he is certainly worth his place in the squad but is by no means a star player. £750k is a good deal considering that he had 6 months left, and should enable us to bring in someone else - hopefully someone with more potential.

It's amusing that Burnley fans think it's a result they have stolen our top scorer. Both Crofts and Ulloa have scored as many without the advantage of taking two penalties, and Ulloa has played half as many games.

Need to add: CMS will be back in a few weeks, and he'd scored 11 goals by this time last season.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I agree. As I said earlier in the thread, been a good servant and scored some important goals for the club but 750k-1M is a good price for him. He's not as good as some seem to making out now he's leaving.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The sentiments regarding the £750k are, of course, correct.

That is an excellent price to get for someone who, it appears, was offski in the summer regardless. We basically get paid £750k to lose him 5 months early, that's good business.

However, from a purely foootballing point of view, I'm gutted.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Barnes goal scoring record in championship is 31 in 138 games
In League One it is 24 in 57 games.

That says all you need to know about what we have just sold. At Championship level he is always going to be that second striker. He is not a 20 goals a season man, and his value reflects that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

That says all you need to know about what we have just sold. At Championship level he is always going to be that second striker. He is not a 20 goals a season man, and his value reflects that.

and how many of those championship games did he actually play as a second striker

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

So, if you were a Burnley fan, this time last season you would have been saying the same about Danny Ings.

"He only scored 3 goals in 32 appearances last season, he is not a championship striker. He has 6 goals in 47 games in the Championship. That tells you all you need to know"

He has scored 15 in 23 this season.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
That's not right. Under Gus and Oscar he has always had a place in the team because they can see what he offers..
I sincerely believe though, that if we didnt have our torrid injury issues with strikers this season, AB would have been on the fringes behind LU, CMS and WH..... dont beat me up over it, I am expressing a view, its not 'HATE' as some of you love to throw around, its simply that I am not a fan of his from a football perspective ( I dont know him personally, so whats to hate?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here