Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AJ get six years....

She persued him on Internet and then try met in his car...

Can we get this the right way round? As soon as he got an inkling that she was under-age, he had a responsibility to act properly. He didn't. So it became a case of him pursuing her. Blaming a child who was just 15 at the time, because a man in his mid-twenties, with all the power of an international footballer at his fingertips, chose to chase after her favours is simply wrong. It was HIS fault.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can we get this the right way round? As soon as he got an inkling that she was under-age, he had a responsibility to act properly. He didn't. So it became a case of him pursuing her. Blaming a child who was just 15 at the time, because a man in his mid-twenties, with all the power of an international footballer at his fingertips, chose to chase after her favours is simply wrong. It was HIS fault.

I wasn't suggesting anything to the contrary - someone said 'where did they meet' and I quoted the trial saying she persued him on the Internet :shrug: Which she did...! And I certainly wasn't 'blaming' her or defending him!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And he'll have the rest of his life to think 'why didn't I stop when I found out she was 15?'

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Direct quotes from the trial:

'The girl contacted the 28-year-old player via Facebook, a jury at Bradford Crown Court heard, and the two began exchanging messages'

'"After matches, she would hang around waiting for a glimpse of him, wanting to get a photograph, often sporting a Sunderland shirt with Johnson's name emblazoned across the back,'' she said.

The prosecutor said: "She often waited for him after home matches, hoping to catch a glimpse of him before he drove away, keen for any contact, an autograph or, even better, a photograph.'

So she did 'persue' him which is how they met which was the simple question someone asked.

Anyone stating FACTS on this subjec is made out to be some kind of sex offender apologist on these threads it seems. Just because they... Erm... State facts? It's pathetic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

'The girl contacted the 28-year-old player via Facebook, a jury at Bradford Crown Court heard, and the two began exchanging messages'

'"After matches, she would hang around waiting for a glimpse of him, wanting to get a photograph, often sporting a Sunderland shirt with Johnson's name emblazoned across the back,'' she said.

The prosecutor said: "She often waited for him after home matches, hoping to catch a glimpse of him before he drove away, keen for any contact, an autograph or, even better, a photograph.'

So she did 'persue' him which is how they met which was the simple question someone asked.

Anyone stating FACTS on this subjec is made out to be some kind of sex offender apologist on these threads it seems. Just because they... Erm... State facts? It's pathetic.

To be fair, without the context it did look like you were blaming her. 'Pursuing' has connotations in different contexts. I'm familiar with your posts so kind of knew what you meant, but to be honest, it was easy to read your post that she sexually pursued him and desired the meeting in the car etc. rather than just a fan pursuing their favourite player for photos and autographs.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

You are defending your actions a little too much.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To be fair, without the context it did look like you were blaming her. 'Pursuing' has connotations in different contexts. I'm familiar with your posts so kind of knew what you meant, but to be honest, it was easy to read your post that she sexually pursued him and desired the meeting in the car etc. rather than just a fan pursuing their favourite player for photos and autographs.

Ah OK well I certainly wasn't suggesting that as I don't know all the ins and outs of the trial. I just meant I recall reading in court that she contacted him on various social media & waited at the games - even approached his girlfriend which is why I innocently used the word persued - ie she persued them having contact (contact being a meeting for a photo / signed shirt btw - must be careful how I word things now :lol: )

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You are defending your actions a little too much.

Yeh - it's a bitch when you prove you were right all along isn't it :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
She persued him on Internet and then try met in his car...

Reading back the texts, once they "friended" on Facebook it was very much HIM doing the pursuing. He was the one getting flirty and suggestive, she was just after a signed shirt.

It started on Facebook, but I didn't see in the trial who out of those two decided to hook up together on Whatsapp. I suspect it would have been him, he was the one driving everything.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Reading back the texts, once they "friended" on Facebook it was very much HIM doing the pursuing. He was the one getting flirty and suggestive, she was just after a signed shirt.

It started on Facebook, but I didn't see in the trial who out of those two decided to hook up together on Whatsapp. I suspect it would have been him, he was the one driving everything.

Totally agree with you. Someone just asked how they met and I answered meaning she was contacting him as a famous footballer (happens everywhere of course makes / females etc etc completely innocent.) Maybe I shouldn't have used that word then for which I apologise but I certainly wasn't suggesting she was after anything from him other than to meet him as he was her idol etc so I apologise if that came accross wrong.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The number of apologists on this thread beggars belief. No concept of safeguarding and presumably NOT fathers of young daughters.

What really irks is that whilst his career may be in tatters and he's virtually unemployable he will still survive based o the absurd amounts of money he has earned thus far. Never mind the jail time ( no doubt somewhere cushy) its a shame he can't be punished financially.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Didn't Graham Rix only get 12 months for actually having sex with a 15-year-old girl, which is a lesser crime than what AJ has committed? Unless I'm missing something?

You are missing something
Different time different world different attitudes.
Thankfully we have moved on even if judges' decisions are as consistent as referees'

But this isn't really just about football & football comparisons hopefully?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The number of apologists on this thread beggars belief. No concept of safeguarding and presumably NOT fathers of young daughters.

What really irks is that whilst his career may be in tatters and he's virtually unemployable he will still survive based o the absurd amounts of money he has earned thus far. Never mind the jail time ( no doubt somewhere cushy) its a shame he can't be punished financially.

He was ordered to pay the prosecutions costs of £50K, but that will be small change to him. At least it saves some taxpayers money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The number of apologists on this thread beggars belief.

I agree. I worry for society if people can't grasp the incredibly simple concept that it's wrong for a 27 year old man to groom and sexually engage a girl who is barely 15. How difficult is that to understand? And the extra worry it it's a number of people, not just one.

I've also just been reading about Adam Johnson's sister encouraging his fans to cyber-bully the girl via Facebook. Lovely. I'd prosecute her next.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
He was ordered to pay the prosecutions costs of £50K, but that will be small change to him. At least it saves some taxpayers money.

I agree. I worry for society if people can't grasp the incredibly simple concept that it's wrong for a 27 year old man to groom and sexually engage a girl who is barely 15. How difficult is that to understand? And the extra worry it it's a number of people, not just one.

I've also just been reading about Adam Johnson's sister encouraging his fans to cyber-bully the girl via Facebook. Lovely. I'd prosecute her next.

What an appalling family.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

I don't think anyone is saying what he did was okay.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

And her ex as well apparently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-footballer-s-sex-abuse-victim-online.html

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Didn't Graham Rix only get 12 months for actually having sex with a 15-year-old girl, which is a lesser crime than what AJ has committed? Unless I'm missing something?

Graham Rix was found guilty in 1999, the 2003 Sexual Offences act would have changed how crimes are categorised and some of the sentencing tariffs as well as changing the aggravating and mitigating circumstances that can be considered.

As others have said Johnson's fame and celebrity as a Premier League footballer would have been an aggravating factor in the case and certainly would have been considered by the judge when he was considering the sentence to give, it's almost as though he wanted to send a warning that abuse of fame will not be tolerated in cases like this and a long sentence is highly liked if you are found guilty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here