Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] English girl missing in NZ.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=17480]colinz[/MENTION] may be better place to judge that, being based in Auckland? There is a strong gang presence in New Zealand and brutal murders are not uncommon. Just last week a pensioner in Wellington was decapitated.

There have been 8 murders in Wellington this year, a city comparable in size to Brighton. How does this compare to our city?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
[MENTION=17480]colinz[/MENTION] may be better place to judge that, being based in Auckland? There is a strong gang presence in New Zealand and brutal murders are not uncommon. Just last week a pensioner in Wellington was decapitated.

I lived in Auckland for a year in 2005. I'd say it's the safest big city I've ever been to. Certainly felt way, way safer than London or Brighton.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I lived in Auckland for a year in 2005. I'd say it's the safest big city I've ever been to. Certainly felt way, way safer than London or Brighton.

Yes, I would agree NZ is generally very safe, to go on a Tinder date and be murdered is not the norm, but the comment about NZ having a dark side holds true IMHO. Violent crime has increased in recent years, probably on the back of the 'P' drug epidemic that has infiltrated the country. Prisons are over crowded. Criminals are committing heinous acts while on bail or home remand because they have no more room to incarcerate anyone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't understand what the Prime Minister has to apologise about. It's hardly her fault or her country's fault that a scumbag has murdered a tourist.
Indeed, it actually strikes me as a bit odd that she's apologised. It seems a like PR rather than appropriate sincerity.

Do people really not get murdered in NZ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Possibly. But it’s a get the message out there. NZ is safe to come to.

Can never see Theresa May or Angela Merkel fronting a murder apology on behalf on the nation :shrug:

Indeed, it actually strikes me as a bit odd that she's apologised. It seems a like PR rather than appropriate sincerity.

Do people really not get murdered in NZ?

Rightly or wrongly, I generally take people at face-value until proven otherwise. It’s served me well over the years. As such, and in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I’ll take the PM’s words as sincere.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Possibly. But it’s a get the message out there. NZ is safe to come to.

Can never see Theresa May or Angela Merkel fronting a murder apology on behalf on the nation :shrug:

Don't think you can compare the two somehow.

I think she is genuine. In fact I'm sure she is.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
are the black power headhunters still going? met some of them in 1979 whilst out on the piss in number 1's. watched them have a shoot out with other gang/cops from the safety of an off license, then couldnt be arsed to wait and bimbled out, much to their amazement

Yes the Black Power and Head Hunters are one of the larger of several gangs operating in the Auckland area. There are now Australian Gangs arriving here.

There are huge social problems in Auckland particularly in South Auckland, homelessness and domestic violence on the increase. Along with the growing Meth problem.

Over the past few years there have been many women raped and murdered in NZ (one I knew).

I have 4 nieces in their 20s living in the UK, if they decide to backpack around NZ I hope they won't do it alone. If so I'll lend them a car.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
ive lived in South London, Brighton, Wellington and now an hour north of Welly. In my opinion its far safer. Every country has problems, every country has drug and gang problems. My area is very different to South Auckland but people take the piss out of me here when I lock my bike up outside a shop. Most peoples doors aren't locked at night. Before I came here I was living in Ardingly , a little middle class village in west Sussex . I wouldn't leave my bike unlocked there. There seems to be less general anti social behaviour too . less feral kids hanging about, fights in pubs etc.

All very boring ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here