Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T - frying pans suitable for hob and oven

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Say I want a new 10”-12” frying pan that I can pan colour (for example) a poussin on an induction hob before transferring the pan to the oven. Say further that I want a good, rich fond - and that I can then make a decent pan sauce with low levels of stick. Say I’d like to be able to do a tarte tatin in the same pan.

Do I go for cast iron, say a Solidteknics aus-ion? A stainless steel ply, say an All Clad, or a Mauviel M’Cook, or a Vollrath? 3-, 5-, or 7-ply? Carbon steel, say De Buyer, or Lodge? Or a ceramic non-stick, say a Scanpan CTX?

Amongst the piss-taking, who knows - I might get a sensible answer or two!

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
The last time I went to Taipei for a long weekend I was absolutely smashed the whole time and as an after thought, right at the end, dragged myself into a shopping mall to get something for the wife. Her face was quite the picture when I got home and presented her with a frying pan.

It turned out I'd got her a stainless steel one but it was rubbish.

Say I want a new 10”-12” frying pan that I can pan colour (for example) a poussin on an induction hob before transferring the pan to the oven.
"I want a new 10”-12” frying pan that I can pan colour (for example) a poussin on an induction hob before transferring the pan to the oven."
It's purely for the amusement of those NSCers who know that the non-football threads provide a rich source!
What's 'pan colouring' when it's at home?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The last time I went to Taipei for a long weekend I was absolutely smashed the whole time and as an after thought, right at the end, dragged myself into a shopping mall to get something for the wife. Her face was quite the picture when I got home and presented her with a frying pan.

It turned out I'd got her a stainless steel one but it was rubbish.

:lol:

I knew I’d get at least one sensible answer - I think it’s excellent advice: don’t buy a frying pan while pissed.

"I want a new 10”-12” frying pan that I can pan colour (for example) a poussin on an induction hob before transferring the pan to the oven."
It's purely for the amusement of those NSCers who know that the non-football threads provide a rich source!
What's 'pan colouring' when it's at home?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: it’s where you colour (or brown) the skin of protein in a pan on the hob before transferring the food to an oven to finish cooking. You want to keep the stuff that comes out of the protein as you baste it on the hob to make a better sauce, so it makes sense to transfer the pan to the oven, rather than put the protein in a new pan to put in the oven.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah I got some Anodised pans last year and they’ve held up really well. Fairing much better than most of my other ones and none were especially cheap

Jul 7, 2003
If you can , get one with removable handles. If not, get a damn good pair of over gloves and remember to use them!

Would suggest going to somewhere like Steamer Trading and ask them for advice.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Say I want a new 10”-12” frying pan that I can pan colour (for example) a poussin on an induction hob before transferring the pan to the oven. Say further that I want a good, rich fond - and that I can then make a decent pan sauce with low levels of stick. Say I’d like to be able to do a tarte tatin in the same pan.

Do I go for cast iron, say a Solidteknics aus-ion? A stainless steel ply, say an All Clad, or a Mauviel M’Cook, or a Vollrath? 3-, 5-, or 7-ply? Carbon steel, say De Buyer, or Lodge? Or a ceramic non-stick, say a Scanpan CTX?

Calling [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION]

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron. Seasoned properly they are indestructible and are perfect for hob to oven use and are ideal for induction. At the beginning it takes some patience improving the seasoning but once done it is only maintenance. Had mine for over 10 years and it gets better with every use. Less than 40 quid too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've got a set of circulon pans and they're fab. Le creuset good too but heavy to handle and hard to clean.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
You want an old fashioned “arcoflam” pan where you can transfer to the oven then with a squeeze of a button, remove the plastic handle, reversing it when you want to withdraw it. Turns the frying pan into an ovenproof dish.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Check out the Fundix range - they are induction compatible and have easily detachable handles for use in the oven

original.jpegimages.jpeg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You know when you wish you hadn't asked a question? That.

There's no consensus in the replies, and I've been given three more options to be put into the mixer for consideration! :lol:

I've spent so much f'ing time trying to decide - I'm tempted to buy three of different types and see how I get on.

I know that cast iron, a la Forge, has a lot going for it: great heat retention, probably the best searing, evenness of temperature etc, but I'm not sure I can be arsed to deal with the seasoning and I'm worried about not being able to use acids in them - so no tomatoes, no wine-based sauces etc. Hmm. [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] what do you use for acid sauces/liquid cooking?

All clad look great and multi-purpose, with no restrictions on acids, but they're stainless, with all the disadvantages that comes with that material. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] - how non-stick is your le creuset casserole (not that I'm looking for true non-stick, but my experience with s/s is that it sticks badly)? Also, can you get a decent caramelised layer on meats/fish?

Pro hardened anodised? Searing? Really? Also, I don't know a pro chef who uses them - why not? But - tempting due to superior out of the box non-stickability.

FFS.

PS I notice that [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] popped onto the thread to give me a thumbs up and promptly buggered off again. Sensible man. :lol:

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
For sauces and liquid I use an enamelled cast iron saucepan and sometimes the Lodge fry pan. It comes pre-seasoned but as you use it the non stick gets better and better. I keep it in the oven when cooking other things, very light coat of oil, very light, and leave it in the oven. It takes tomato sauces and curries and never sticks and the coating is unaffected. I've only got one non-cast iron pan now which is my steamer. The Lodge is so much easier to clean than Le Creuset. I bought a cheap £14.99 enamelled cast iron fry pan ftom Aldi (plus their cast iron tagine which I use for roasting) and it is way easier than Le Crueset.

There's a cast iron fry pan on Amazon made in Ukraine, detachable wooden handle and it is also good for induction to oven. BIOL is the brand name, 26cm, £24.90. Nearly as good as the Lodge one. It all depends what you're looking for but I prefer cast iron now over chemical non stick.

Seasoning is easy-30 seconds after washing and drying.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
I would love to know if anybody has ever posted an enquiry about a frying pan for colouring a poussin on, say, a Burnley or Middlesbrough fans forum.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I would love to know if anybody has ever posted an enquiry about a frying pan for colouring a poussin on, say, a Burnley or Middlesbrough fans forum.

"Nowt as queer as folk from Brighton" is probably the crossover point between the fora for those two clubs and ours.

Think I could hazard an answer to that question :wink:

Me too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here