Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Red wine recommendations please

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Catena Alta Malbec or a Malbec / Touriga National blend - in fact if he likes Malbec then anything from Catena will go down well.
The Chocolate Block has a lot of followers amongst the “big red” community - widely available (Majestic, Quaff etc)
My own personal favourite red is Vina Ardanza from Rioja Alta - £20-£25 depending on vintage (buy a 5 star year) or I think you can get a magnum at Majestic. Lighter than Malbec but a class act.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
To all readers who only buy cheap wine - just remember that if you pay £5 for a bottle of wine, the producer is getting 17p for the liquid inside the bottle. That’s the problem when your taxation system has both a fixed charge/bottle and a variable charge for wine.

“I don’t like wine. I paid £5, and it tastes like vinegar”. No shit, Sherlock. Now, pay £15, and there’s some decent stuff out there. As well as vinegar, obvs.

Wine snobbery at it's finest. We all drink what we like at our own price point. You pay £15, I'm happy to pay as little as possible so long as I like it. Might have a few I don't like along the way but plenty I do. Probably the same as you, just different affordability.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
You need to work out which grape variety you like and go from there. I would go to Waitrose they have racks of more prestigious wines often at a discount. Aldi do some nice wines as well. If you like oak flavour in wines go Australian and a make such as Penfolds.
I prefer Pinot Noir a lighter grape it’s used in Burgundy wine.
New Zealand wines especially whites are hard to better.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Wine snobbery at it's finest. We all drink what we like at our own price point. You pay £15, I'm happy to pay as little as possible so long as I like it. Might have a few I don't like along the way but plenty I do. Probably the same as you, just different affordability.

He's right to a point though. You're getting better value if you spend a few quid more. Spend £5.50 and get 60p worth of wine. Spend a tenner and get about £3 worth. You don't have to break the bank but just an extra couple of quid will get you a much better bottle.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
He's right to a point though. You're getting better value if you spend a few quid more. Spend £5.50 and get 60p worth of wine. Spend a tenner and get about £3 worth. You don't have to break the bank but just an extra couple of quid will get you a much better bottle.

Not at all. It's a better bottle of wine in your opinion. I'm drinking a bottle of wine same as anybody else, same size. I like what I am drinking. It cost £5. That is GREAT value. If I drink a bottle of wine cost £15 that I like just as much, that is less value. Same satisfaction costs more.

This analogy of the 'amount of wine' in the bottle is nonsense. We don't use the same analogy for anything else e.g. petrol.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
To all readers who only buy cheap wine - just remember that if you pay £5 for a bottle of wine, the producer is getting 17p for the liquid inside the bottle. That’s the problem when your taxation system has both a fixed charge/bottle and a variable charge for wine.

“I don’t like wine. I paid £5, and it tastes like vinegar”. No shit, Sherlock. Now, pay £15, and there’s some decent stuff out there. As well as vinegar, obvs.

Are you putting the blame here on the consumer, the government, the retailer or the producer?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not at all. It's a better bottle of wine in your opinion. I'm drinking a bottle of wine same as anybody else, same size. I like what I am drinking. It cost £5. That is GREAT value. If I drink a bottle of wine cost £15 that I like just as much, that is less value. Same satisfaction costs more.

This analogy of the 'amount of wine' in the bottle is nonsense. We don't use the same analogy for anything else e.g. petrol.

I think you're missing the point.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I think you're missing the point.

I don't think so. My appreciation and the value I put on something, wine included, does not depend on the price, but whether I like it or not. I consider myself fortunate that I can buy wine at £5 that I enjoy.
With regard to the analogy, in case that is what you are referring to, I do not seek out more expensive petrol and claim that a litre of that has more petrol in it than a cheaper one because all the rest is tax etc..

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Are you putting the blame here on the consumer, the government, the retailer or the producer?

Principally the government. I see no justification for a flat rate/bottle. Just make the tax entirely variable. A little bit at the consumer - at £5/bottle, most people are horrified at the thought that they’re paying about 15% of the price of a bottle of fizzy water in the supermarket for the same quantity of wine.

[MENTION=3738]GOM[/MENTION] [MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION] is right. It you double your budget from £5 - £10 a bottle, you’re giving the grower the opportunity to give you a wine that should be 17.5x as good. Perhaps drink half as much if the budget is tight? Though, as you say, if you’re happy with the quality you’re getting at £5 a bottle, there’s absolutely no need. Do bear in mind that my comment was addressed to those who complain that a £5 wine tastes like vinegar, not to those who like it.

Your point about petrol is fatally flawed, imo. It’s nothing to do with the quantity, it’s the quality. Petrol is pretty much a commodity product - where price is everything. Most other purchases, certainly including wine, have varying degrees of quality.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
.......... It you double your budget from £5 - £10 a bottle, you’re giving the grower the opportunity to give you a wine that should be 17.5x as good .

But it isn't 17.5 times as good though, in my opinion.

Perhaps drink half as much if the budget is tight? .

Budget is not an issue, it's about drinking a wine, or any other drink, that you enjoy.

Though, as you say, if you’re happy with the quality you’re getting at £5 a bottle,.

That does come across as slightly condescending, even if not meant that way.

Your point about petrol is fatally flawed, imo. It’s nothing to do with the quantity, it’s the quality. ..... Most other purchases, certainly including wine, have varying degrees of quality.

Not at all, there was no point, it was an analogy. Paying more does not necessarily give you better quality. Cost is not a measure of quality. Different wines at the same price will have different qualities and no doubt some wines will be a better quality than a more expensive one, in each of our own personal opinions and taste.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That does come across as slightly condescending, even if not meant that way.

Not meant as condescending at all, simply meant as a neutral statement.

Last edited:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I don't think so. My appreciation and the value I put on something, wine included, does not depend on the price, but whether I like it or not. I consider myself fortunate that I can buy wine at £5 that I enjoy.
With regard to the analogy, in case that is what you are referring to, I do not seek out more expensive petrol and claim that a litre of that has more petrol in it than a cheaper one because all the rest is tax etc..
If you are drinking petrol I suggest you spend a bit more and upgrade to Shell V-Power, it has a really good kick to it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you are drinking petrol I suggest you spend a bit more and upgrade to Shell V-Power, it has a really good kick to it.

But I don’t agree you get any more Mileage though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here