Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm not prepared to accept that label in this instance, as it was my first attendance at the ANNUAL event since 2013, and even this year was under heavy duress.

On the wine pilfering - maybe - but there were people in the room, on other tables, who would have been glad to drink it, rather than have to resort to the (no longer free) bar. If she was snaffling it to take home, that's poor form. If she was snaffling it to keep drinking in her room, she paid a heavy price!

From my (thankfully far off) memories of these types of dos, the table wine is not Chateauneuf du Pape by any stretch of the imagination, why on earth would you do it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From my (thankfully far off) memories of these types of dos, the table wine is not Chateauneuf du Pape by any stretch of the imagination, why on earth would you do it?

I didn't pay much attention, as I wasn't drinking it. I know it all had screw tops though, which doesn't generally mark it out as something [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] would suffer.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm not prepared to accept that label in this instance, as it was my first attendance at the ANNUAL event since 2013, and even this year was under heavy duress.

You don't get to decide, that falls upon others to judge. Bearing in mind I work for a mob that loves a corporate bull-fest, I think my avoiding ALL such events since the 1990s is what you should aspire to.

There was one event that we were told that "there is absolutely no way anyone on duty is allowed to miss it" so a colleague and I booked annual leave, then came in anyway and cancelled it on the system. The boss (a prize bell-cheese himself was livid).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The bloke opposite me at work deserves a mention on this thread

- He has the same dinner at the same time every night of the week such as Monday, chicken stir fry, Tuesday Salmon, Saturday Chippy. Every week. No changes.
- He was listening to music the other day. After an hour he admitted that he'd been listening to the same song on repeat the whole time. Whilst I have nothing against 'The automatic - Monster' I'd never want to hear it again after 5 times in a row, let alone 10. The next day he did the same thing with the same song. It was like the end of the Black mirror xmas special.

In fairness to him, He doesn't seem to mind when I accuse him of 'not being right in the head' albeit not sure what HR would make of my comments if they heard.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I didn't pay much attention, as I wasn't drinking it. I know it all had screw tops though, which doesn't generally mark it out as something [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] would suffer.

There are some very decent wineries turning out stuff with screw tops these days. Not in France though.

Your conference report was v amusing though. Trebles all round.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

- He has the same dinner at the same time every night of the week such as Monday, chicken stir fry, Tuesday Salmon, Saturday Chippy. Every week. No changes.
- He was listening to music the other day. After an hour he admitted that he'd been listening to the same song on repeat the whole time. Whilst I have nothing against 'The automatic - Monster' I'd never want to hear it again after 5 times in a row, let alone 10. The next day he did the same thing with the same song. It was like the end of the Black mirror xmas special.

In fairness to him, He doesn't seem to mind when I accuse him of 'not being right in the head' albeit not sure what HR would make of my comments if they heard.

I find that strange too, however I did read somewhere recently that this type of behaviour can often be a trait of geniuses and high achievers. By doing the same thing every day, it supposedly leaves their mind clear to occupy the 'important' decisions. I used to work with somebody that had a similar trait - she wore the same clothes each day of the week (i.e. she had a 'Monday' outfit, a 'Tuesday' outfit, etc). She was a very clever lady.

Still a bit strange, though.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I find that strange too, however I did read somewhere recently that this type of behaviour can often be a trait of geniuses and high achievers. By doing the same thing every day, it supposedly leaves their mind clear to occupy the 'important' decisions. I used to work with somebody that had a similar trait - she wore the same clothes each day of the week (i.e. she had a 'Monday' outfit, a 'Tuesday' outfit, etc). She was a very clever lady.

Probably true. He is very intelligent and gets a bit frustrated with the rest of us who don't have the same attention to detail. My 'That'll do' approach and his cover every corner actually works quite well as a team. Which sounds quite bellcheesey. Sorry.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Reminds me of this article I saw posted elsewhere online about someone that only ever eats peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and margarita pizza for dinner :

https://eu.northjersey.com/story/li...ten-pizza-every-day-over-30-years/1603730002/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Sounds genuinely a bit mentally unstable.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto

It sounds like he's just listening to "The Automatic - Greatest Hits" album.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I don't understand why my work feels compelled to put a toilet brush next to the urinals. It's like having fabric softener in the cupboard next to the dishwasher.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Reminds me of this article I saw posted elsewhere online about someone that only ever eats peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and margarita pizza for dinner :

https://eu.northjersey.com/story/li...ten-pizza-every-day-over-30-years/1603730002/

This sort of behaviour from a New Jerseyite does not surprise me in the least.

New Jersey should only be experienced from a plane or high speed train. I will only ever venture over there in extreme circumstances (or to watch Red Bulls play soccer)

It's a bit like Crawley or Gillingham, but bigger

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Just been informed that on 28th November I am to attend a senior management team building event. Drinks, food, clay pigeon shooting.

Do I wriggle out of it or take it as an opportunity to ‘accidentally’ shoot my ‘crazy cat lady’ boss??

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Just been informed that on 28th November I am to attend a senior management team building event. Drinks, food, clay pigeon shooting.

Do I wriggle out of it or take it as an opportunity to ‘accidentally’ shoot my ‘crazy cat lady’ boss??

Now that you've mentioned it on here, it can no longer be considered to be accidental.

In my eyes, that leaves you with only one sensible option....

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If it's purely drinking, eating and clay shooting, surely that's preferable to a day in the office ? (Unless it's a weekend, in which case tell them to do one)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

If you can put up with the other attendees, that actually sounds like a decent day out. Clay pigeon shooting is EXCELLENT fun. Take wellies, and perhaps take care if the shooting is after the drinks.

In other news, a sign has recently appeared on the door to the gents. Big yellow hazard sign, with "DANGER - VERY HOT WATER !" written on it. The same sticker has been stuck over the top of the cisterns. The water, when flushed, did not appear to be of the boiling variety and the tapwater was standard.

What gives ?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
If it's purely drinking, eating and clay shooting, surely that's preferable to a day in the office ? (Unless it's a weekend, in which case tell them to do one)

Yeah fair point. My problem is that I don’t share office space with any of the other attendees. We all have different locations, departments & teams. Some of them are total dicks and I have absolutely no desire to spend time with them. Except maybe the total fox head of HR. I’m probably a dick too as far as they’re concerned. If I don’t cap some ass I’m sure someone else will. I’ll go as a witness...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here