Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier league pundits relegation picks

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I think the pundits are looking at our transfer business the previous summer and seeing in retrospect how well they came off, and then making the assumption that this summers business will prove to have moved us on a bit.
I want to believe this as well, but is too early to call. It's very likely we'll still be in the mix fighting to get to 40 points and 17th place.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that no-one has gone for Palace - if they lose Zaha I think they will struggle badly. Otherwise, I think it will be the same as last year (and the year before and before that) - there will be one absolute certainty for the drop from almost day one (this year probably Cardiff) and then pick any two from twelve. My guess alongside Cardiff is Bournemouth and Huddersfield but us (along with lots of other teams) won't be safe until 2/3 games to go.

Just over 6 hours left for them to hold onto him

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Cardiff and Warnock will probably enjoy being written off by everyone.

I'd go

Cardiif , Hudds then between us / Watford / Fulham

Like most, I'd go with that trio. I'd add Burnley & Newcastle to Fulham. Colin is already making negative noises at Cardiff, expressing frustration nobody of quality wants to play for him. Gone by October & replaced by Fat Sam is my shout.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
......and one of them, I'm not sure who, also predicted Yves Bissouma to be the signing of the season!

Of course, this is all nonsense. Wolves, Fulham and Cardiff will go straight back down. Everybody knows that. It's in the rules, it always happens that way!

For a degree of balance, Daniel Storey has this to say in the 'signing most likely to make a positive difference' section:

'Random shout: Yves Bissouma. He looks the business and could be the difference between Brighton staying up and going down."

I saw that - a good omen because Storey was raving about Gross last year too :)

el punal

Surprised no-one’s picked us. More surprised that no-one’s picked Saints or Burnley.

Oh, believe me they have. Not necessarily Sky, but other pundits, papers, magazines - you name it, have. The general consensus has been that Cardiff (definitely), Huddersfield (probably), and us, Southampton, Newcastle, Watford, Burnley are in the mix as possible candidates for relegation.

For me, it will be intriguing to see how those clubs that have changed managers and splashed the cash fare, the likes of Everton, West Ham and Chelsea. I reckon the first two could be in for a nasty old season if things don’t go to plan

I also wonder if newcomers Wolves and Fulham may have been overhyped with all their spending. Not long now to find out what will be will be.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I saw that - a good omen because Storey was raving about Gross last year too :)

Trouble is, the player Bissouma is most likely to replace is Gross.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Trouble is, the player Bissouma is most likely to replace is Gross.

I hadn't realised he was that type of player - thought he was more likely competition for Propper and Stephens - but if he can replace Gross that's great because we didn't have adequate cover for him last year.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I hadn't realised he was that type of player - thought he was more likely competition for Propper and Stephens - but if he can replace Gross that's great because we didn't have adequate cover for him last year.

He's probably a bit of both in the same way Gross is, from what I've seen of him though he's going to carry the ball forward out of midfield, and I can't see CH letting him leave one central midfielder to do this.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He's probably a bit of both in the same way Gross is, from what I've seen of him though he's going to carry the ball forward out of midfield, and I can't see CH letting him leave one central midfielder to do this.

Didn't Propper play the Gross role previously?

Could be that if Gross is in need of a rest that Propper pushes up into that position and Bissouma into the middle.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Northern fans have mostly gone for Cardiff, Huddersfield and Brighton.

I see it as Cardiff, Huddersfield and one of 12, probably not Burnley or Watford.

If we sort out our set pieces we should be OK. Bruno will be key again.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Cardiff, Huddersfield and Southampton in any order.

Can't see Burnley going down - Dyche might well have been LMA manager of the year if Pep's City hadn't stormed to 100 points.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For a degree of balance, Daniel Storey has this to say in the 'signing most likely to make a positive difference' section:

'Random shout: Yves Bissouma. He looks the business and could be the difference between Brighton staying up and going down."

The problem is, players who look the business, very often aren't. Only time will tell.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Didn't Propper play the Gross role previously?

Could be that if Gross is in need of a rest that Propper pushes up into that position and Bissouma into the middle.
Plus if AJ adapts well in time, I can see him covering Gross in the home games. What a thought - Knockhart, Izquierdo and AJ behind a striker with Stephens and Propper protecting the back 4/Duffy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here