Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you regret letting Steve Cook go?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Took my calculation from iPad maps, blame them. Just asked for directions from Old Shoreham rd to Kingsway, Hove. Withdean east Bus stop to Old stein, and Village way to Old stein. Maybe I should have borrowed a measuring wheel and walked the courses? Do apologise Whilelion and Edna.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No as at the time he'd have not gotten any game time and thus improved. Would have rotted and ended up eventually in league 2 but because of his game time he's improved and improved like Dunk etc. have.

I've met him on a few occasions through mutual friends and always seemed a decent guy at the time. Best of luck to him but while we don't have much better we also don't have worse currently so are just fine with our current situation.

Hopefully someone stupid will buy him for 15-20 million and we'll get a huge pay-out on the sell on clause ;-)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I saw him in the Sussex Senior Cup in the opening game at the Amex - he was the standout player.

I was surprised when he was allowed to leave.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It's not as if we had a say in the matter, but from the little game time I saw of him, he was a surprisingly composed player who knew how to take responsibility on the pitch. That alone should have been more than enough reason to keep and play him because it's pretty rare to see that even in experienced players and even rarer at his age then. I also seem to remember Alex Ferguson proving that you can win trophies with kids.

We'll just add it to the list of players that all football clubs fail to spot the potential within. For example, Bristol Rovers loss was our gain in signing Zamora.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not even slightly. He left in 2012 having played 3 games for us and was behind Greer, Elphick, El-Abd and Dunk. He's played 200ish games for Bournemouth and developed as a player in the last 5 years.

We were in the Championship then and he signed for a League One to get games. He's as good as he is because he's played 30+ in each of the last 5 seasons. There's no way we could have guaranteed him that.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think we could exploited more loan options with him so that he could get 30+ games per season and come back. Always looked a bit of a rash decision as he clearly had talent. However you can't keep everyone.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The answer to the ops question is surely 'yes' in the sense that if we'd have known he would go on to become the solid prem player he has we would not have got rid.
At the time we had loads of cbs - but come on, choosing el abd over cook has proved to be a mistake, as elabds form nosedived soon after.
Worked out in the end tho, and there's not much between dunk and cook.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Think we could exploited more loan options with him so that he could get 30+ games per season and come back. Always looked a bit of a rash decision as he clearly had talent. However you can't keep everyone.

Things aren't always as simple as that though, are they? - AFC Bournemouth: Steve Cook questioned football career during dark days at Brighton

I had a lot of loan moves when I was at Brighton and was signing one-year contracts every summer, which was frustrating. I can remember turning out at Maidenhead on a Tuesday night and thinking, ‘I’m not sure my career is going the way I want it to’.

I went to Mansfield for three months and that was difficult because I was only 19 and I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. I try to forget those days, to be honest, as at the time I was asking myself, ‘do I want to do this?’

Even when I came to Bournemouth, I wasn’t sure if it would be for me. Initially, it was only a one-month loan so I thought I would be going back to Brighton and trying to get in the first team.

I had gone here, there and everywhere up to then but I finally settled in Bournemouth and the rest is history. For me, my position now is crazy because at one point, I never thought it would happen.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here