Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Reading like us under poyet?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We started like this under Poyet. The onus was on the midfield to make space, keep moving and be patient. The back four were under instructions to keep moving it side-to-side until the opportunity arose. It takes time, but it only works if you are 100% committed to the plan. At Brighton we were 100% committed and it worked. Reading should do the same, I applaud them for it. They are also third, so even though they are not fully there yet, they are already seeing the benefits.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Well joking apart, that's often the best way of getting promotion out of the lower divisions. The higher up the league one goes, the more cultured football becomes. Wild generalisation I know.

Wild but probably true - You simply can't play the Barcelona style at those levels with players who don't think or react as quickly, there isn't the time.

You definitely require a different type of player at the lower levels (Unless you have 11 of them of course). I remember saying on here waaaay back that as good a player as Lee Hendrie was, the further down the ladder he slipped the less useful he would be. I'd use Derby's only Will Hughes as a reverse example, I think he'll be a better player when he makes it to the premier league.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The 0-0 looks a viable betting proposition at (tinpot) Reading games then.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Rather than keeping stats on possession, I'd prefer to see stats on how long the ball was in each half. After all, all the possession in the world is useless if it's all in your own half.

I work for a sports data and technology company and it is coming. The depth of stats/info etc you can get when you add in player tracking technology is incredible...I think it will be very interesting when it comes out.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The one major difference between Reading and the Albion side under Poyet is that Reading are tinpot.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I work for a sports data and technology company and it is coming. The depth of stats/info etc you can get when you add in player tracking technology is incredible...I think it will be very interesting when it comes out.

That sounds great.

X% possession
Y% meaningful possession
Z% pointless cocking about in defence.

Feel free to use those terms.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Reading have got too many injuries at the moment to make a decent judgement. Before Jon Swift got injured, he was scoring for fun and causing all teams problems, not the least us, when he scored in the first two minutes. Reading will be a different proposition in the New Year and will be dangerous. Even slightly off the boil, as they are at present, they still saw off Sheff Wed recently and its no disgrace to lose at Leeds.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
We started like this under Poyet. The onus was on the midfield to make space, keep moving and be patient. The back four were under instructions to keep moving it side-to-side until the opportunity arose. It takes time, but it only works if you are 100% committed to the plan. At Brighton we were 100% committed and it worked. Reading should do the same, I applaud them for it. They are also third, so even though they are not fully there yet, they are already seeing the benefits.

Is the correct answer.

It's a different tactic which results in high possession stats. We've done our fair share of it over the last 5 years and it can be quite boring to watch, but can also be quite effective.

Cardiff away was like this. It felt like Duffy had the ball more than entire Cardiff team, especially so in the first half.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
This- apparently from that game- rather suggests that a significant quantity of their nice neat passing is between their centre halves and goalkeeper.

Very Poyet-esque.

CzqmfEjWgAEMuLb.jpg

Indeed. It shows quite clearly the pattern of play we had between ankergren, the back four and bridcutt. You can see Liam's little spot where he'd get the ball and knock it either sideways or backwards with little to no pressure on him. That was before we got found out a bit.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
This- apparently from that game- rather suggests that a significant quantity of their nice neat passing is between their centre halves and goalkeeper.

Very Poyet-esque.

CzqmfEjWgAEMuLb.jpg

and here is the weather map for Christmas Day.

A warm front moving in very slowly!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Given that Jaap Stam has been heavily involved in the development of young players at Ajax for the past few years, it's hardly surprising that they are going to be playing a possession based game. That is the Ajax way.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Very Poyet-esque.

CzqmfEjWgAEMuLb.jpg

So is that a boy or a girl?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
and here is the weather map for Christmas Day.

A warm front moving in very slowly!

You've not read the Daily Express today then.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I can't quite work out how they're third with a zero goal difference either.

I think it's primarily due to have scored more points than the team in fourth, but fewer than the team in second, while at the same time scoring exactly the same number of goals that they've conceded.

Hope that helps.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Poyet got us out of that league but my god it was so boring to watch. Even with quality players that came later (Bridge, Upson, VICENTE) it was fall asleep football. Still can't help but dislike him after the Reading job shenanigans, the toys out the pram and ceiling comments pre and post the Palace games and then nicking bridcutt and Will.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've not read the Daily Express today then.
You can see Princess Diana, The People's Princess, in that heat map as well.

I thought it was just my squint.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As for Reading, the idea of highlighting those stats in their Leeds game is the equivalent of invoking Godwin's law in an Internet argument. It's an extreme case that consequently doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I bet they do tend to boss possession but that it usually leads to more chances for them, and fewer chances for their opposition all compared to last season. It is boring only when chances aren't forthcoming to get it forward, and if your midfielders can't find space and your forwards aren't making the runs, that is what happens.

Although none of this changes the real issue here obviously: that Reading are a noddy tin pot club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here