Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday from a City perspective

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
After their drubbing at The Amex I note that some distraught Canary fans perceived the lack of an equivalent experienced head like Sidwell in the Norwich midfield. Some were questioning why they let Gary O'Neil move on to Bristol City.

So it was interesting to see how O'Neil shaped up for City this week. Rather conspicuously it was his errors (combined with pressing from Albion players) that lost possession on a couple of critical occasions and fair to say he was generally overshadowed by Stephens / Sidwell. A less charitable observer might agree that yes, O'Neil would still be a good fit into the Norwich midfield.........:whistle:

Anyway don't let that detract from the encouraging comments about Bristol City who otherwise appear to be making progress in the right direction.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I read somewhere from a BC fan that they thought the keeper would have saved it if he hadn't fallen over while running backwards..... not a chance!!!

I thought their keeper was put off by fireworks being let off outside that end of the ground.....

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Hi

A few things about Saturday:

Firstly, I thought your fans were excellent, to bring that many considering the circumstances was excellent and you made a lot of noise.

Our performance was simply dire, worst of the season we had no imagination up front and well the first goal, despite being an excellent finish was frankly embarrassing.

You were excellent at the back, gave us no time on the ball and you took your chances, something we failed to do.

I think we should have had a penalty when Wilbraham was dragged down in the area but really it would have had no impact on the result. Overall the ref was alright, Tomlin should have had a couple of free kicks but he's given himself a reputation for diving which is irritating.

Also, great to see your players dedicate Sidwell's goal to Knockeart, nice touch.

Good luck for the rest of the season and I'll look forward to seeing you at the AMEX
Yeah pretty much spot on although we still seem to be in first gear and with big players returning we will hopefully really kick on and progress more as we have far more to come yet.
Thought you was a tidy outfit to be fair although our brick wall defence restricted you to long shots bar the one early chance and to be fair it was a comfortable win even with our 2nd string wingers playing.

Good luck and you may just make the playoffs but you will need more experience in the striker department:)

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
Yeah pretty much spot on although we still seem to be in first gear and with big players returning we will hopefully really kick on and progress more as we have far more to come yet.
Thought you was a tidy outfit to be fair although our brick wall defence restricted you to long shots bar the one early chance and to be fair it was a comfortable win even with our 2nd string wingers playing.

Good luck and you may just make the playoffs but you will need more experience in the striker department:)

Yep, that's what I think we need, Tammy is carrying us at times and we need someone to help, Fraizer Campbell I'd like to see come in

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Agree. CH just knows how to set up the team 90% of the time and this makes our opponents look ordinary. Brentford being the exception

who for some reason made us look awful,or was that us that did that to our selves,or even Scott Hogan....oh i don't who cares anyway,we are over that now.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think what's really impressive about Saturday is that it was achieved without arguably our two best players. How good is this side with Knocky and Kayal back in it?

The last time I had a feeling this positive about the Albion was when we beat Peterborough 3-0 away the season we won league one. I came out of there thinking we will win this league and I feel this side will go close too.
Solly march and Rosenior too.....Hopefully the bench will be packed with talent soon :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yep, that's what I think we need, Tammy is carrying us at times and we need someone to help, Fraizer Campbell I'd like to see come in
You have plenty of creative players and that striker or two will defo keep you in the top 6 as you won't play another side with our defence again this season bar the return match naturally.

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
Sounds like he's got decent family behind him too then. When I hear about Chelsea paying some of these young lads £20-£30k per week from the day they turn seventeen, I always wonder what that must do to their lives. The hangers on, the golddiggers, the pushy parents trying to live out their own dreams through their offspring. It's no wonder so many of them fall by the wayside.

Why can't you find a solid full back, by the way? That young lad you had last season had a torrid time in the game at Ashton Gate, and now Little too :lol:

We've got Matthews on loan from Sunderland who is a top right back but seriously unfit and inconsistent, that and a striker is where we really need to strengthen in January, I couldn't sleep well at night if Little is still playing games in February haha

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
For the second season running City have had to contend with having a dodgy right back that aided Jamie Murphy.

I think you do Jamie an injustice. Similar to that idiot Ollie on Sky blames the full back and stated that he should have pushed him wide but Jamie flew past him on the outside on several occasions as well. Perhaps the full back thought lets force him inside where the area is congested because it is not working, forcing him wide.

Jamie has not been consistent this season but when he plays like that he is very difficult to play against. The BC fan gave a nice opening post but I fear we in for a lot of them this season. Opposition fans saying how poor they were against us. They are not all poor teams, we are just a good team and we are extremely efficient at nullifying teams we come up against.

It's nice to get compliments from opposing fans but I find it very patronising when they claim that it is because they played poorly. If that's the case we had better get used to being patronised for the rest of the season

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
I think you do Jamie an injustice. Similar to that idiot Ollie on Sky blames the full back and stated that he should have pushed him wide but Jamie flew past him on the outside on several occasions as well. Perhaps the full back thought lets force him inside where the area is congested because it is not working, forcing him wide.

Jamie has not been consistent this season but when he plays like that he is very difficult to play against. The BC fan gave a nice opening post but I fear we in for a lot of them this season. Opposition fans saying how poor they were against us. They are not all poor teams, we are just a good team and we are extremely efficient at nullifying teams we come up against.

It's nice to get compliments from opposing fans but I find it very patronising when they claim that it is because they played poorly. If that's the case we had better get used to being patronised for the rest of the season

Was Murphy your left winger?? he destroyed Little every time, which isn't hard to do but I haven't seen someone do it so consistently this year

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Was Murphy your left winger?? he destroyed Little every time, which isn't hard to do but I haven't seen someone do it so consistently this year

Yes Jamie was the left winger but I didn't actually share your view of your right back. I thought he looked very good on the ball moving forward but I don't see him often enough to make a great assessment of him. Jamie doesn't always play well but he did on Saturday and so your full back was rather unlucky.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Murphy has been playing well, he has to really because Knocky will be back, Lua Lua is nearly fit again and Solly March was on the bench after nearly a year out.

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
Yes Jamie was the left winger but I didn't actually share your view of your right back. I thought he looked very good on the ball moving forward but I don't see him often enough to make a great assessment of him. Jamie doesn't always play well but he did on Saturday and so your full back was rather unlucky.

He is aggressive with the ball but cant defend, and he cant control it but ya know.... haha

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree. CH just knows how to set up the team 90% of the time and this makes our opponents look ordinary. Brentford being the exception
Brentford set the template to how the Albion have recently been playing.

They harried and harassed Stockdale, Dunk and Duffy with purpose.
Not just one players half-hearted attempt, at the moments they chose 2 or 3 players attacked the ball.
This is turn knocked the rest of the team out of their stride, allowing them to get caught out by quick counter attacks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here