Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Had a good time last night, but am perplexed as to what to go to tonight. What's your itinerary?

These New Puritans entered gig of the year material last night. My only complaint was that I could easily have dealt with an hour and a half rather than 50 minutes. It was a tough choice but I'm glad I went to it instead of Wire.

I'm definately catching Sauna Youth. I love Sauna Youth - http://saunayouth.bandcamp.com/releases

There's no winners in the BSP, Savages, Mono, Traams mega clash later. Depending on your mood all bands would suit. I'm heading to Savages.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
These New Puritans entered gig of the year material last night. My only complaint was that I could easily have dealt with an hour and a half rather than 50 minutes. It was a tough choice but I'm glad I went to it instead of Wire.

I'm definately catching Sauna Youth. I love Sauna Youth - http://saunayouth.bandcamp.com/releases

There's no winners in the BSP, Savages, Mono, Traams mega clash later. Depending on your mood all bands would suit. I'm heading to Savages.

Annoyed to have missed TNP now. The festival's write-up let them down by being too vague to make me want to see them. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so lazy as to not research them earlier in the day. Great to see Wire and their ceaselessly interesting musicianship though, and Wytches are brutal and satisfying, and Theo Verney packed out the Albert.

I don't have to cover tonight but I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend. Fujiya and Miyagi will be a treat and Goblin - although I know little about them - sound like they'll be great doing retro-horror cinematics in a church.

I might have a spare Satdi ticket if anyone wants one, happy to take a donation if skint :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Annoyed to have missed TNP now. The festival's write-up let them down by being too vague to make me want to see them. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so lazy as to not research them earlier in the day. Great to see Wire and their ceaselessly interesting musicianship though, and Wytches are brutal and satisfying, and Theo Verney packed out the Albert.

I don't have to cover tonight but I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend. Fujiya and Miyagi will be a treat and Goblin - although I know little about them - sound like they'll be great doing retro-horror cinematics in a church.

I might have a spare Satdi ticket if anyone wants one, happy to take a donation if skint :)

Not just saying this, you missed out. They are for my money the most progressive and interesting band in the country right now. They sound like no one else. I don't know if it's a full time thing but Graham Sutton of Bark Psychosis played with them last night. I have some sympathy with Drill, they are an extremely tough band to categorise.

I've seen Wire quite a lot recently so it was a pretty easy decision. Were any of the other shows busy? I heard Wire was 3/4 full - TNP was about 2/3's full.

What did you make of Theo Verney? Was it your first time seeing him?

I really enjoyed Goblin earlier in the year and I'm not a big fan of theirs. Great show - http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/listing/?p=72278

If you hear of any freebies going for Sunday I'd be grateful. The girlfriend has finally decided to give Swans another go after not enjoying them in 2010 if she can get in.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wire was probably between 1/2 and 3/4 full. They played new stuff mainly, of which there were a few (Manchester is one) but the majority was mesmerising, especially the last track before they went off, which was a 10-15 minute affair, drawing on krautrock.
Pink Flag Orchestra was a glorious noise too.
I went to see Theo Verney, who I disliked intensely, but that didn't stop me from thinking that the music was excellent.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wire was probably between 1/2 and 3/4 full. They played new stuff mainly, of which there were a few (Manchester is one) but the majority was mesmerising, especially the last track before they went off, which was a 10-15 minute affair, drawing on krautrock.
Pink Flag Orchestra was a glorious noise too.
I went to see Theo Verney, who I disliked intensely, but that didn't stop me from thinking that the music was excellent.

Ticket sales must be shocking if Wire couldn't fill out a not particuarly large venue at their own festival.

Did they play any classic stuff? Map Ref normally gets an outing. I live in hope that I'll get to see them do this one day

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think sales are pretty low. Saw Jon Hopkins last night and they were giving out Drill flyers on the way out. That's one day into the festival!
Hopkins last night was a real treat. Took half an hour until the audience decided they could get onto their feet and dance. Great video/lights and played for about an hour and a half. Set list expertly crafted with slower stuff building up to the more obvious stuff and back down again.
Tonight is a choice between either Savages or BSP. Going BSP and I had better get in!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The figure I heard on ticket sales is 1,000, which suggests they won't be doing such a thing again in a hurry. As you say, the audience size for Wire was surprisingly low, and seems to tally with such a number of ticket sales. The good thing is that we probably won't have to queue for Swans on Sunday, which is what I was fearing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I missed last night's Drill as was in with Junior while the Mrs went out, and came back raving about everything she saw, including Plank and Goblin. We had a great night out together on Friday, and managed to see six bands.
Sauna Youth were my highlight, although we only lasted a few songs as we ran off to see...
Helen Money -- a Chicago scene stalwart, with a cello and some effects pedals -- who was great, really innovative, glad I saw her as I don't think she comes over often
Mono -- stayed for one (very long) song, which was good, but didn't fancy an hour and a half of it, so went off to Audio to see...
Three Trapped Tigers -- treble-y, tinny prog. Didn't like, so went back to GDS to see
Traams -- who I'm glad I've seen, and then on to see
Blood Red Shoes -- who are still churning out the same style and stuff as when I saw them when they started.

We're both off to TOM to see Swans and Swans/Wire tonight. Should be good.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
"The Fly" at The Hope later this evening must be Wire, surely?

I didn't see Helen Money but it seems everyone that did is raving about it. Missed out.

Ended up seeing Negative Pegasus, Man Forever, Plank, Omi Palone and Esben last night. I may have curtailed my weekend early as I have the hangover from hell, I've decided to catch Swans at The Roundhouse next year, might go out for Wire/ Grumbling Fur if I make a recovery as that's all a lot closer to me.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My Drill experience was limited to just Friday and a night spent watching the bands at All Saints Church. Never been to that venue before and a perfect place for British Sea Power to play alongside a Brass Quintet from Bournemouth. Played some very old stuff plus songs from Valhalla and Decline. Very enjoyable and a teaser for the main event on the 19th December.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here