Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I guess the club asked for extra time to prepare given Rodriguez was out of the country this week so unable to meet with his representatives.
Oh come on:
It doesn't sound like he's taking it very seriously then, does it?
This. There's been an accusation. The FA has seen fit to charge him with the alleged offence. And after 3 weeks he's not had time to deal with it?

That's clearly nonsense.

If there was no evidence against him, presumably his defence would simply be that he didn't do it, and some character witness crap.

[MENTION=36422]Richbaggie[/MENTION] what do you make of the news that he's employing a lip reader for his defence?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The hearing was due today but the club asked for an extension as the club have been in Barcelona this week on mid winter break.

**** me. Imagine any of us did that in our workplace, if we were up for a very serious disciplinary meeting.

"Oh, hey Steve. Sorry, I'm on the beach right now. Probably have to do that disciplinary-whatever-it-is you guys wanna do another time." *OFF PHONE* Yeah Sangria please, ta love. "Alright? See ya then, bye."

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
On the contrary. He has employed a barrister to defend him. There is talk of counter law suits with regards slander.
Good luck with that. The only way that would even have a chance is if 1. They can prove beyond doubt that he didnt use racist language and 2. That Bong didnt mishear and deliberately reported it in order to slander him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
On the contrary. He has employed a barrister to defend him. There is talk of counter law suits with regards slander.

Perhaps I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but do you mean a law suit against Bong for reporting alledged racial abuse?

Seriously?

That would be beyond stupid if that was the case. Gaetan BELIEVES he has received racial abuse. If we start counter prosecuting and adding any sort of deterrent to a player reporting what they believe to be abuse then that is EXTREMELY concerning.

Please, correct me if I've misunderstood.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
If he's employed him, then what has the barrister been doing with his time? Not having a defence ready isn't acceptable. Surely, if he is as innocent as he says he is, then the barrister will know exactly what was said, rather than alleged.
A civil law suit for slander would be a different case entirely.

I don't disagree with you. Just passing on what was reported up here around reason for extension.

This is a huge thing for the player. Career defining moment. Not surprising that he is ensuring he us fully prepared to defend himself. We would all do the same would we not, if we felt wrongly accused.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't disagree with you. Just passing on what was reported up here around reason for extension.

This is a huge thing for the player. Career defining moment. Not surprising that he is ensuring he us fully prepared to defend himself. We would all do the same would we not, if we felt wrongly accused.

No, we'd piss off on holiday and catch up with things when we get back. If there's nothing decent to watch on TV anyway.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
Perhaps I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but do you mean a law suit against Bong for reporting alledged racial abuse?

Seriously?

That would be beyond stupid if that was the case. Gaetan BELIEVES he has received racial abuse. If we start counter prosecuting and adding any sort of deterrent to a player reporting what they believe to be abuse then that is EXTREMELY concerning.

Please, correct me if I've misunderstood.

No...not racially. There was anger that he went on TV and spoke publicly about it which could have prejudiced the case. If it's proven that Rodriguez didn't use racially motivated words, there could be case for slander.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"You're black and you stink" - is prominently in the title of this thread, yet we still don't know if that is what was said (could've been a LOT worse for all we know), so should this be changed?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No...not racially. There was anger that he went on TV and spoke publicly about it which could have prejudiced the case. If it's proven that Rodriguez didn't use racially motivated words, there could be case for slander.

Slander could only work if it could be proven that Gaetan knows he didn't hear anything racist. Obviously, this is impossible so the thought of a counter allegation of slander is completely laughable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has Rodriguez actually said what he claims he said rather than Bongs version ?
I think he did at the time, but maybe it doesn't match up with the video.
He's waiting for the lip-reader to tell him!
Indeed. I can picture his correspondence with his lip-reader: "I was busy playing football so can't remember what I said, but obviously I'd never say anything bad. Could you look at the footage and give me a list of things it looks like I could have said, and we'll go with one of those".

two weeks later:
"Yeah, I had the beating of Bong that day, so I kept telling him he was a rubbish fullback, and that his play stank. On this occasion, for short, I said 'you're back and you stink' "

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Up here? Does it say that in any of the major news outlets, or is that just gossip? Try and stick to the news.
Agreed. That's completely the opposite of 'sorry mate, on the beach with the lads'.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
**** me. Imagine any of us did that in our workplace, if we were up for a very serious disciplinary meeting.

"Oh, hey Steve. Sorry, I'm on the beach right now. Probably have to do that disciplinary-whatever-it-is you guys wanna do another time." *OFF PHONE* Yeah Sangria please, ta love. "Alright? See ya then, bye."

"Thanks for coming Jay, are you ready to present your defence?"

Brent.jpg

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying.

If I was him, I would firstly focus on being cleared by the FA. If that is done then not one iota of me would want to then continue with a slander case against someone who ultimately believed they had received racial abuse. Very dangerous area to get into. Take the FA clearing you (if that happens) and move on.

It's an EXTREMELY emotive thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No...not racially. There was anger that he went on TV and spoke publicly about it which could have prejudiced the case.
Anger from whom? Has Jay said he's angry and looking at a slander case, or is that just fan talk? If the former, please post a link to a quote etc.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Shelvey was found guilty, and it doesn't seem to have harmed his career, so I think career defining moment is a bit strong.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I think he did at the time, but maybe it doesn't match up with the video.
Indeed. I can picture his correspondence with his lip-reader: "I was busy playing football so can't remember what I said, but obviously I'd never say anything bad. Could you look at the footage and give me a list of things it looks like I could have said, and we'll go with one of those".

two weeks later:
"Yeah, I had the beating of Bong that day, so I kept telling him he was a rubbish fullback, and that his play stank. On this occasion, for short, I said 'you're back and you stink' "

"Off! Off! Off! It's an early bath for you, Mr Cantona."

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Shelvey was found guilty, and it doesn't seem to have harmed his career, so I think career defining moment is a bit strong.

Pursuing a slander case after the verdict will attract more attention that the original case if he's not careful.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here