Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is our best player? (and why the difficulty of answering this question says so much)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This thread is the only analysis we need. Look at the diversity of answers.

Post a similar thread on the Palace board and it will be almost 100% Zaha.

Spot on. Also, difficult to judge ‘best’ between players who play in completely different positions.

Kylegreen-1

Jan 4, 2018
Near Tunbridge wells
In terms of transfer value I’d say Lewis Dunk but in terms of overall impact on the team it would have to be Groß or Stephens. But I agree with the point of the thread that it is very difficult for us to pinpoint a best player whereas a lot of teams would be able to. E.g Chelsea with Hazard and Palarse with the diving scum merchant. And I agree that it is undoubtedly a good thing that no player stands above the rest in terms of ability because then no player will start to believe they’re bigger than the club like Sanchez did at Arsenal.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Dunk and Pröpper the most naturally talented.

I'd go Dunk for consistency but we haven't seen everything from Pröpper yet. He's a special player IMO.

I agree. I think Propper would have matched Gross if he was playing the same position, perhaps even offered a little more given how well he's played in the no.10 role for his country.

Dunk is outstanding and it wont be long before we see him play for England, unfortunately he may have to move for that to become a reality.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Our Dale has come a long way since his transfer request in 2016 – and I say that in a positive way http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37245047. Being able to focus after being 'denied' the chance to play in the Premier League at that stage in his career and play a pivotal part in getting there with the Albion is testament to his character.

Yeah, he'll give the ball away a few times during a game, but he plays in that kind of role where some people (including me) almost don't notice exactly how much he brings to the team. Bit like what I thought about Bridcutt when he was here. But then Dunk, Groß and Ryan also play a vital role...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Spot on. Also, difficult to judge ‘best’ between players who play in completely different positions.

Also an indication that we are more than the sum of our parts. No one outstanding player carrying the team, yet we are doing alright for what is essentially a Championship squad.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
essentially a Championship squad.

Seen this said a lot in the past few weeks as an excuse as to why we have "struggled".

Dunk
Propper
GroB
Ryan
Murray

Are all certainly Prem-standard, and have shown as much consistently now. A number of other players on their day - March, Knocky, Duffy, Bruno, Stephens, Izquierdo can also play at Prem standard.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Seen this said a lot in the past few weeks as an excuse as to why we have "struggled".

Dunk
Propper
GroB
Ryan
Murray

Are all certainly Prem-standard, and have shown as much consistently now. A number of other players on their day - March, Knocky, Duffy, Bruno, Stephens, Izquierdo can also play at Prem standard.

Agreed, just because a lot of our players came from the Championship does not mean they are not Premier League standard, they clearly are.... we will see that If we do not have the fortune of staying up.

Prem clubs will be all over our players.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Dunk. But losing him would allow Goldson in, who I think could be even better in time.
Who is the starting player that we would find hardest to replace from within our squad? I think Stephens and Gross, we could buy a Stephens replacement, there are a few of his style around, not sure we could buy a like for like Gross replacement at all.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Gross

Statistically he's delivered, assists and goals, he's a different kind of player, some of his passing is sublime.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Agreed, just because a lot of our players came from the Championship does not mean they are not Premier League standard, they clearly are.... we will see that If we do not have the fortune of staying up.

Prem clubs will be all over our players.

True, on their day all of our players can play like seasoned Premier League Players.

My point is that the difference between an established Premier League player and a Championship one is consistency. Premier League players do it 9 games out of 10. Only Dunk, Stephens and Matt Ryan in our squad are that consistent. I'm probably being a tad harsh on the new boys, Gross and Propper are looking good too.

That's not to say others cant get to that level, but at the moment we are a bit inconsistent.

Back to the original question, who's our best player? Pascal Gross has probably won the most MOM awards, and would likely be the first player other clubs would try to sign if we go down.

Edit:

Just checked and surprised to see AK is leading MOM awards with 3, Gross and Muzza next with 2 each. Dunk only has 1.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This thread is the only analysis we need. Look at the diversity of answers.

Post a similar thread on the Palace board and it will be almost 100% Zaha.
Yes, Palace have an agreed best player, we don't, but you said you'd tell us why that says so much.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
True, on their day all of our players can play like seasoned Premier League Players.

My point is that the difference between an established Premier League player and a Championship one is consistency. Premier League players do it 9 games out of 10. Only Dunk, Stephens and Matt Ryan in our squad are that consistent. I'm probably being a tad harsh on the new boys, Gross and Propper are looking good too.

That's not to say others cant get to that level, but at the moment we are a bit inconsistent.

Back to the original question, who's our best player? Pascal Gross has probably won the most MOM awards, and would likely be the first player other clubs would try to sign if we go down.

Edit:

Just checked and surprised to see AK is leading MOM awards with 3, Gross and Muzza next with 2 each. Dunk only has 1.

Jesus also has 2 (MoM)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dunk and Pröpper the most naturally talented.

I'd go Dunk for consistency but we haven't seen everything from Pröpper yet. He's a special player IMO.

Pretty sure staff and players would say Propper- still hasn't found his feet and seems to struggle in this position but is clearly supremely gifted.

Yep. Another vote here for Davy - possibly the best midfielder outside the top six of the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here