Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In your opinion. In mine Propper is a superior player and has been better overall throughout the season.

I'm not talking about this season, I'm talking about today. Stephens was the best player on the pitch. By a mile. Better than Shaqiri. Propper did well to get into those positions, but he should have scored at least one of them. From memory, he didn't get any on target.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
According to some on the match thread he was crap all game with relentless mis-placed passes.

not read any of the match thread as yet, but anyone suggesting he was poor in any way today really don't have any idea at all..............he was easily the best player on the pitch today BAR NONE

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm not talking about this season, I'm talking about today. Stephens was the best player on the pitch. By a mile. Better than Shaqiri. Propper did well to get into those positions, but he should have scored at least one of them. From memory, he didn't get any on target.

Stephens was excellent but I thought Propper and Dunk were our two best players today.

Anyway, we’re splitting hairs, they were both superb and it was another excellent all round team performance that deserved three points.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I thought he was absolutely outstanding today apart from the non penalty at the end. He’s really grown into the season the co commentator (Tony gale)? was enthusing he must be close to a call up as his weight of pass was exceptional. I would hate to lose him as he’s so vital to how we play

Absolutely outstanding and if he played like that every week, an England candidate.

I thought he was absolutely outstanding today apart from the non penalty at the end. He’s really grown into the season the co commentator (Tony gale)? was enthusing he must be close to a call up as his weight of pass was exceptional. I would hate to lose him as he’s so vital to how we play

Totally agree with that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who plays central midfield for England these days? What’s the competition like?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well - rather bizarrely, according to the stats his pass success rate today was 76% against his average of 85%. Yet most of us reckon he had one of his best games. Just shows how stats on their own can be misleading.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I normally really rate Stephens and will be the first to defend him when he gets slated. But I genuinely thought he had an off game today. A lot of misplaced passes, many which seemed to set Stoke very much on the front foot. Remember him trying a turn in the centre after an outrageous bit of skill by gross and him losing it weakly. Thought at the time as well it was a pen and he was very silly to have his hands up. Admittedly i only saw it out he corner of my eye so once i rewatch it, I'd be happy to revise my opinion if it is the soft pen many believe it to be. but on the whole, one of Stephens weakest games this season imho. maybe I've just grown to expect such a high standard from him?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

He got one of his attempts on target, the one where he hit the ball first time too close to Butland.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We were having a discussion about Stephens last week, and came to the odd conclusion that he is better when he has less time to think. Some of the passes he plays at fast pace or when being closed down are phenomenal. The ones that go astray seem to be when he has time on the ball.

Bang on intelligent football comment :thumbsup: Please don’t pollute NSC with this nonsense again.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Most of the teams in this division would start with one of DP or DS. ... half a dozen would be chuffed with having both.
Absolutely belting good.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We were having a discussion about Stephens last week, and came to the odd conclusion that he is better when he has less time to think. Some of the passes he plays at fast pace or when being closed down are phenomenal. The ones that go astray seem to be when he has time on the ball.

Did you ever play the beautiful game? I started as a centre forward and made my way down to centre back as I got older. Give me time on the ball I was shit. Give me a nano second and I wasn't to bad. So I can totally see where you're coming from.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In your opinion. In mine Propper is a superior player and has been better overall throughout the season.

Can't agree, sorry. Apart from Propper being played out of his natural position, he gets his confidence off of Stephens. He's done a fantastic job, don't get me wrong, but one over Stephens, I can't agree. On a side note, will be interesting to see who the supporters choose as player of the season, must be the most open for many years.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I thought Propper was the best player in the first half today, although 2nd half Stephens was awesome [apart from the silly push at the end].

Nothing silly at all. ,Happens in every game at least 50 times. It's a shocking referee decision. If that is a pen then Kane's goal was a foul also as he gave the Arsenal player a slight push to get the elevation.

The ref is a cock and could have easily cost us points and our Premier league status.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here