Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I honestly think it'll make no difference. Has Bong been physically harmed by being booed? Has his stock as a footballer been harmed?

Does booing players with a reputation for diving change their behaviour and stop them diving? No. It's football pantomime which is having way too much significance attached to it by those with an agenda.

Pantomime?

As long as he wasn't physically abused, that's ok?

Twenty years ago today Justin Fashinu committed suicide. He was not only black but a homosexual.

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
Precisely why were the vast majority of your fans booing then ?

Ah, so now it's OK, it's only banter, innit............................

I've explained why multiple times, as have supporter representatives in statements quoted by Brighton fans in this very thread. If you can't read then that's not on me. If you chose not to and post from a position of ignorance then think on how you're no better than the you're accusing Burnley fans of being.

And please point out where I said it was banter. I said booing on football matches is pantomime as part of answering a question. A pantomime which people are either wilfully or ignorantly attaching extra significance to.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don’t need to justify my loyalty to BHA to the likes of you, your comment that I should be “backing your player” is a significant part of the problem here.

Do I think Knockeart has been legitimately fouled every time he goes sprawling to the floor? No, sometimes is f*cking embarrassing. He’s not alone, I don’t just blindly and obediently back our players.

This case involves a serious complaint of racism against JR that has been unproven, I get the semantics, but on the facts this means JR has not been exposed as a racist.

Burnley fans booing Bong is distasteful, but it’s not de facto evidence of racism.

After all their conduct is much more likely to be a case of them “backing their player” as tenuous as it is that JR is a Burnley player.

really ...?? my take is that they were booing him for what they had deduced as a false accusation .

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
I think this is far more important than someone diving on a football field.

The fa and prem league efl etc are doing their level best to encourage the reporting of all sorts of abuse from racism, casual or other, to homophobia.

If this is the dog's abuse that he was subjected to a result of his reporting what he believed was said, unproven but not dismissed remember, do you seriously think other players wouldnt think twice about going down that route?

Dogs abuse?! Behave.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It makes it very hard to be non-discriminatory, though. If you were allowed to treat people all the same, then it would be a lot easier than having to treat them the same in some circumstances but not in others. Its a matter of knowing which circumstances. It must vary from person to person as well.

There was an equivalent (but obviously different) position on a south coast airline a year or two back. A lady pilot took them to an industrial tribunal and won a sex discrimination case, because the airline was unfairly discriminating against women pilots by treating them the same as men. They had the same pay, the same shift patterns, the same mix of long haul and short haul. This was held to be discrimination because it meant they couldn't get home to their children - the airline needed to treat women pilots differently from men to avoid accusations of treating women differently from men. Race relations has the same minefield, and if the minefield gets too hard to navigate, it risks people opting out of interaction with opposite races.

WTF

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I've explained why multiple times, as have supporter representatives in statements quoted by Brighton fans in this very thread. If you can't read then that's not on me. If you chose not to and post from a position of ignorance then think on how you're no better than the you're accusing Burnley fans of being.

And please point out where I said it was banter. I said booing on football matches is pantomime as part of answering a question. A pantomime which people are either wilfully or ignorantly attaching extra significance to.

But you keep missing the point. The justification given by scholes, boden and you is based on a misaprehension of what was said by whom when and the motives behind it.

To me it sounds like me justifying abusing someone in the street by saying that they got my mate in trouble at work. It wouldnt wash as a defence in the first place and it certainly wouldnt if i kept peddling the line despite being given information by multiple people, that my assumptions were wrong

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
Pantomime?

As long as he wasn't physically abused, that's ok?

Twenty years ago today Justin Fashinu committed suicide. He was not only black but a homosexual.

Which was/is terrible.

I must have missed the bit where he did so after being booed over the course of a single football game for something other than racism or homophobia.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Dogs abuse?! Behave.

It came over very clearly in the media broadcasts of some of your fans saying 'your breath ****ing stinks ' (ironically something that was tweeted by 'the cricket field end' a few days before the game)

It was a preplanned attempt to abuse someone who objected to the behaviour of an ex burnley player.

Despite the waffle, the fake indignation, you have not at any point accepted that this is wrong and will have a detrimental effect on others speaking out in the future

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I doubt he is a raving racist, .

Hmmm.....but we have seen the attitude of the Burnley brethren at the game and subsequently on social media and on these boards. Seems to be a way of life for them and as he was born and brought up in Burnley...........well........does kinda put a different perspective on things!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I honestly think it'll make no difference. Has Bong been physically harmed by being booed? Has his stock as a footballer been harmed?

Does booing players with a reputation for diving change their behaviour and stop them diving? No. It's football pantomime which is having way too much significance attached to it by those with an agenda.

How the hell do you know if it has effected him mentally. He may well be mentally strong maybe behind closed doors he isn't. Do you also believe that a teenager who is mentally abused should just man up and not consider putting that bed sheet up on the rafters.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's probably now time to just point and laugh at the Burnley trolls on here. Their ignorance is unbounded. They don't understand; they are never going to understand. It just seems so totally pointless wasting time to try to get them to understand.

For the rest of us, we know and understand that racism and homophobia are totally unacceptable; in sport and in life. Burnley seems to be the final bastion of ignorance that the rest of the world has left behind.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It makes it very hard to be non-discriminatory, though. If you were allowed to treat people all the same, then it would be a lot easier than having to treat them the same in some circumstances but not in others. Its a matter of knowing which circumstances. It must vary from person to person as well.

There was an equivalent (but obviously different) position on a south coast airline a year or two back. A lady pilot took them to an industrial tribunal and won a sex discrimination case, because the airline was unfairly discriminating against women pilots by treating them the same as men. They had the same pay, the same shift patterns, the same mix of long haul and short haul. This was held to be discrimination because it meant they couldn't get home to their children - the airline needed to treat women pilots differently from men to avoid accusations of treating women differently from men. Race relations has the same minefield, and if the minefield gets too hard to navigate, it risks people opting out of interaction with opposite races.

The clue is in the name. It is not equal treatment legislation, it is equal opportunities legislation. It requires employers to act in a way that allows those from minority groups an equal opportunity of accessing or competing.

In the case at hand, a good understanding of equal opportunities issues is not really required. All that is needed is empathy, something that seems to be in short supply in football and almost totally absent from social media debate.

How's this for a starting point? I understand that it must be frustrating for your community to be stereotyped as racists because of the ill considered actions of a minority. I understand that football supporting is tribal and that views about rights and wrongs and responsibilities are often going to be coloured by the tribe to which you belong. I believe that the overwhelming majority of Burnley fans that booed were motivated by tribal loyalty, not by racism and that the Brighton fans' voiced response probably stung and felt unfair.

Do you understand why the Brighton fans responded in the way they did? If you do, I think you should also understand that, no matter how often the intricacies of the case are argued over, nobody will be changing their mind. That is why I posted the video of Simon Garner earlier in this thread. It was meant as a jokey way of saying 'Go back to UtC, look forward to European football. Give up on trying to convince anyone on NSC that you were in the right.' It didn't work when you all posted videos of Joey Barton's assault on Beram Kayal with comments about which way he was looking and its not going to work now. Or to put it in a way that exploits regional stereotypes:

But them as comes to Sussex,
They mustn't push and shove,
For Sussex will be Sussex,
And Sussex won't be druv!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here