Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March v Towner

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Towner looked and played like he belonged in the first team, March is a lightweight sub at the moment, a frustrating one to watch most of the time. He may come good but I doubt it, needs to toughen up first though. The modern day equivalent of Jake Robinson, although the position varies.

Would genuinely like to be wrong

Sadly that is how I see him. He's our new Jake Robinson. Has potential but looking more and more unlikely to realise it.

Prove us wrong Solly.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Tony upset Kaz on Twitter. cos he was comparing our present wingers and Noony. He thought Noone was better.

Kazenga LuaLua@kazenga30 4h4 hours ago
Does This guy not like me or something .... Jheeezzzz
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f648.png

Brian Owen asked the question.

One of Albion’s most popular wingers ever fears his team might miss their wide men against Cardiff.
But he just hopes for their sake his favourite touchline raider does not get chance to show the Amex what he can do at his best.
Tony Towner played wide when Albion made their way to the top- flight in the 1970s.

Now he is a fan watching from the stands - with a special eye on the position he used to call his own.
The man nicknamed Tiger has been delighted to see more creativity from the Seagulls this season.
He is concerned they might miss the injured Kazenga LuaLua and possibly Jamie Murphy against a strong Cardiff side.

But he has revealed the visitors will have the winger he rates the best to have played for the Seagulls at the Amex.
The man he is talking about is Craig Noone, who played a big part in Albion reaching the Championship but left for Cardiff a little more than three years ago.
Towner said: “It’s good to see Brighton making good use of wingers.
“That’s the way I was brought up, using the wide men.
“It’s all right having midfield men or attack-minded full-backs.

[h=4]Promoted stories[/h]

Recommended by

“But what gets the crowd on its feet is a winger going past the full-back and crossing.
“You can have all the formations you like but, if you see a winger getting past his full-back, it excites people.”
Which is where a familiar face on the Cardiff subs’ bench comes in.
Towner rates Noone highly and he is not alone.
His left-sided contemporary Peter O’Sullivan said something similar in The Argus during the summer.
Towner said: “I think it was a mistake to let Craig Noone go.
“He was one who was going to improve.
“He was always alive with the ball. I thought his final ball was good.
“LuaLua has been hit and miss with his final ball but of course he looked good over the first month.
“I thought they looked dangerous when Will Buckley was on the right wing and Noone on the left.
“But they changed formation. They relied less on wingers for a while and I never understood that.”

Towner attended the recent 0-0 draw at Wolves, where Murphy spent much of the time in more central areas.
He has been quite impressed by the former Sheffield United man and is happy to see wingers cut inside at times.
He added: “I think Solly March has promise.
“His end product could be better from what I’ve seen but he has got potential.
“Inverted wingers are fine, they keep people guessing.
“If you can cut inside and shoot, that’s a threat.
“March does that and LuaLua can do it too.
“But I’d say Noone is the most dangerous out of all of them.
“He can go either way. I’ve seen him help create goals.
“It was a shame to let him go.
Share article
http://www.theargus.co.uk/my/accoun...ke claims former wing wizard (From The Argus) http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/13794883.print/

“Murphy has looked good.
“It would be a massive blow if both Murphy and LuaLua were ruled out.”

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It's occurred to me this Saturday we could be watching the original Craig Noone, and Craig Noone II.

Call me negative, but I just can't imagine Solly March pulling off what Noone does here.

That deft touch with the outside of his boot is exquisite.

I would absolutely LOVE Solly to make me eat my words.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Favourite young Albion winger? It's between Tiger Towner and Steve Penney for me.

I really hope that Solly's time will come, but he really needs to toughen up and show a bit more guile. He certainly doesn't frighten the opposition enough and his form does not justify a starting place when KLL and Murphy are available. Maybe Elvis will be in the mix too.

I was sorry to see Noone move on, but we had a comparative embarrassment of riches together with Buckley and KLL. They all had frustrating weaknesses but each could be unplayable on their day. Trouble is that 'day' didn't happen often enough. Nooney did seem to progress after his move to Cardiff but not really kicked on from there.

So my favourite young wide players were Towner and Penney. There was a real sense of expectation when they received the ball and both were capable of changing a game. Maybe Armstrong was faster but I don't recall him having the same impact on games. I was sorry to see Tiger move on and recall always looking at Millwall reports to see how he was doing.

The most frustrating winger has to be Will Buckley - so talented and with an almost complete mix of pace, skill and an eye for goal, just a pity about those glass hamstrings. He will always be a hero for the Donny game but his memory is tinged with a feeling of unfulfilled potential.

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
Have a look at Tottenham vs Albion on 19.11 1977. Tony Towner gave Steve Perryman a pretty uncomfortable afternoon

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Towner by far, no comparison. Tiger the best Albion winger I've seen. He was always a huge favourite & also I will never forget the ovation he got at the Valley one New Years Day, when coming on as sub for Charlton. Again when he came on for Crawley in the cup against us. Fans never forget top quality.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) Peter O'Sullevan
2) Tony Towner
3) Wally Gould
4) Gerry Ryan
5) Steve Penney
6) Garry Nelson
7) KLL
8) Frankie Howard
9) Craig Noone
10) Will Buckley