Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal sending off- referee says no?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But it's a red card offence 'if you deny a goal', not 'if you think you might be denying one'.

No it isn't. It's if you deny a clear goalscoring opportunity. Which that clearly was.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I can't think of a more absolute clear cut red card that I've ever seen.

As others have stated, a handball only results in a red card if it denies a clear goalscoring opportunity. The shot was going wide

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No it isn't. It's if you deny a clear goalscoring opportunity. Which that clearly was.

How was it a clear goal scoring opportunity? If he doesn't handle the ball it goes out of play. There is no chelsea player to get on the end of it, thus no clear goal scoring opportunity, so the only other interpretation is denying a goal, which he didn't do because it was going wide.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It may have bent into the goal as per Yaya Toure, who knows for certain the outcome had he not deliberatly handled it.

The laws of physics

gibbs-red-oxlade.gif

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From the laws of the game (page119 (121 of the PDF))

A player is sent off, however, if he prevents a goal or an obvious goalscoring
opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This punishment arises not from
the act of the player deliberately handling the ball but from the unacceptable
and unfair intervention that prevented a goal being scored
.​

Doesn't matter what he thought he was doing (i.e. deliberately handling is not the sending off part) but whether his handling denies a goal or goal scoring opportunity. It does neither. Shouldn't have been a red.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the end of the day Gibbs will be exonerated and the ban passed to Oxo. If the FA thought that it shouldnt have been a red they can refrain from implementing a ban and substitute a yellow.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The biggest mistake the referee made in my opinion was refusing to accept Oxlade-Chamberlain's admission that he was the one who handled the ball.

Did he really think the player was lying!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The biggest mistake the referee made in my opinion was refusing to accept Oxlade-Chamberlain's admission that he was the one who handled the ball.

This.
I can't believe the linesman or fourth official didn't see what happened and advise the ref.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

IMO .. I don't think he was actually listening. I guess referees might have got to the point where having made a decision they follow it through, primarily because they've become so used to being verbally bombarded whenever they make critical decisions. Surely if he had been listening he would, you might think, have wondered why another player was owning up, wouldn't he ?

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Gibbs should have stayed on the pitch rather then strutting off in disgust though tbh, I would have stood my ground if I was him for sure, then the matter could have been resolved.

Mariner deserves a few weeks off and a slap on the wrist for that though, no premier league (and bloody FIFA listed!!!) referee should be making comical mistakes like that.

The refereeing system needs a thorough looking at, too many horrendous decisions this season, which wouldn't have happened if there was a "3rd umpire" type bloke behind a computer screen which the ref can refer to at any time if there is a decision he's unsure about. Quite simple, if cricket and rugby can do it why not football?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Gibbs should have stayed on the pitch rather then strutting off in disgust though tbh, I would have stood my ground if I was him for sure, then the matter could have been resolved.

Mariner deserves a few weeks off and a slap on the wrist for that though, no premier league (and bloody FIFA listed!!!) referee should be making comical mistakes like that.

The refereeing system needs a thorough looking at, too many horrendous decisions this season, which wouldn't have happened if there was a "3rd umpire" type bloke behind a computer screen which the ref can refer to at any time if there is a decision he's unsure about. Quite simple, if cricket and rugby can do it why not football?

I agree with everything you say here, but all this sounds all too much like common sense which doesn't seem to happen with refereeing decisions.

Typical of today's refs, " I'm in charge, look at me". Nice to see it backfire sometimes:)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.​

Doesn't matter what he thought he was doing (i.e. deliberately handling is not the sending off part) but whether his handling denies a goal or goal scoring opportunity. It does neither. Shouldn't have been a red.

Didn't say anything different but possibility influenced the referee in his incorrect decision.

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
IMO .. I don't think he was actually listening. I guess referees might have got to the point where having made a decision they follow it through, primarily because they've become so used to being verbally bombarded whenever they make critical decisions. Surely if he had been listening he would, you might think, have wondered why another player was owning up, wouldn't he ?

Never mind critical decisions, it's every decision. Barely a throw in goes by without two players both claiming it. On the other hand I refereed a girls game once and when the ball went for a throw both teams shouted "Theirs!"

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Why? Apart from the fact that TV showed it MAY have gone wide and past the post so not a goal but it was a deliberate handball and cheating so an obvious red card.

deliberate handball does not merit a red card. however, what you can be sent off for is attempting to prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity and chamberlin clearly attempted that in this situation. so yes you are right. he should have been sent off

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

In, slight, defence of the ref, he may have though the Ox was trying to take the blame to save Gibbs in a sort of he is more important to the team than me type way. As I said slight defence!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

.​

How can anyone say that was not an obvious goal scoring opportunity? It clearly was. It doesn't say anywhere that the ball has to be on it's way in. It's the same rule as for a red card for a professional foul. Who's to say whether the player would definitely have scored if he hadn't been brought down by the last man when clean through, but it's an obvious goalscoring opportunity. The fact that the player put the shot wide is irrelevant. What if the shot was going to hit the post, is that then not a red because it wasn't going in? How is the ref supposed to judge whether it will bounce straight back out to the striker or go wide in that situation. Oxlaide-Chamberlain new exactly what he was doing, it's a red card.

There must be some referees on NSC that can clear this up.

As for people saying it's a red because it's 'deliberate handball', that's nonsense as well. Because non deliberate handball isn't an offence, and you don't get a red card for every handball!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Never mind critical decisions, it's every decision. Barely a throw in goes by without two players both claiming it. On the other hand I refereed a girls game once and when the ball went for a throw both teams shouted "Theirs!"

Hah, when I was much younger girls used to shout that at me :kiss: Sadly now I'm much older they shout "Yours" ! :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here