Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Analysis of results to date

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mostly spot on. However I have zero confidence that we'll sign a decent striker in Jan and we'll be quite screwed if we get suspensions and injuries- which we will.

I have to say at the moment I think we'll be in a relegation battle all season and rue those dropped points at home. However I believe there are FOUR worse sides than us so it's in our own hands (Palace, Swansea, WBA and West Ham)

I didn't say we would get a decent striker in January, just that we can. That said, I'm more optimistic than you it seems!

I think we've been in a relegation battle all along - it was just a bit like a 400m race - we were on the outside lane and we needed the stagger to unwind before that became completely apparent.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree with the analysis, but momentum and form make a difference.

We look in a rut currently, void of ideas and defensively at 6’s and 7’s.

Sean Dyche loves a set piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I didn't say we would get a decent striker in January, just that we can. That said, I'm more optimistic than you it seems!

I think we've been in a relegation battle all along - it was just a bit like a 400m race - we were on the outside lane and we needed the stagger to unwind before that became completely apparent.

That second paragraph is spot on, great analogy.

I'm pessimistic about the striker, ironically because, rather than despite of, Paul Barber's description of the process on Albion Roar. We'll have quite a specific type of player and price band in mind and all the pieces will need to fall in to place, including the player wanting to come here.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with the analysis, but momentum and form make a difference.

We look in a rut currently, void of ideas and defensively at 6’s and 7’s.

Sean Dyche loves a set piece.

And pressing. They outplayed flying Arsenal and others. They will follow the LFC and Hudd game plan, and be confident of three points.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hughton has to earn his corn for sure now in the home matches vs Burnley and Watford.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The Palace game was a dull draw in the end, but Ryan saved us from going an early goal down. If not for that, we'd probably be looking at four successive defeats ...

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
We have deserved every point that we have earnt and have not had any huges slices of luck that I can remember. Before a ball was kicked I expected us to have a season long relegation struggle. We have done better than I expected until yesterday. I am putting faith in CH being able to turn this around. However I doubt it will be on Wednesday when I expect another thrashing. I don’t expect much improvement to the squad in January either. The reality is that we’ll do well to avoid relegation. Expectations are too high with too many fans imo.

The honeymoon is over and we are going to need to get behind the team and manager. We’ll probably be better at this away from home as the Amex is mostly full of fans who aren’t used to seeing us struggle.

Very good post, especially second paragraph. Yesterday was the first time this season that I have doubted our ability to stay up. Poor team selection, poor performance, and the loss of even the single point I had hoped for. Wednesday looks like another field-day for Spurs, so the Burnley and Watford games are starting to look crucial. Like Icy Gull I am well used to seeing us struggle, but at least we can be grateful it's not at the bottom of the Football League this time! Some stoic performances away from home are going to be vital as will be the never-say-die away support the team continues to enjoy.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newcastle, WBA and Brighton for the drop? All momentum gone.

IMG_2326.PNG

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Benefit of hindsight this one and very glass half empty. You can put a gloss on anything. Do you take the shine off of West Ham's victory against Chelsea because the latter played Champions League? A sign of a team that will stay up is getting the job done against teams who are in "disarray". Only side we failed to do this against is Hudders.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I would be a little more negative about yesterday, but agree with all the others.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Benefit of hindsight this one and very glass half empty. You can put a gloss on anything. Do you take the shine off of West Ham's victory against Chelsea because the latter played Champions League? A sign of a team that will stay up is getting the job done against teams who are in "disarray". Only side we failed to do this against is Hudders.

Hapless at that stage Everton, at home.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
The busy Dec/Jan schedule will test the 25-man squads - even teams like Man City, Chelsea....

I am happy we get an extra day's rest before our trip to the Amex (playing tonight instead of Wed) because we definitely suffered last week.

We lost 1-0 at Leicester who had 4 days' rest between games against West Ham, Spurs and us while we had only 3 days' rest between Arsenal at home on the Sunday, away at Bournemouth on the Wednesday and Leicester on the Saturday.

It makes a big difference if teams have 5/6 injured. Home advantage will be even more important for you on Saturday after only 3 days' rest against Spurs. Our problem was we were AWAY to Leicester who also had an extra day's rest.

I'd be very happy with a draw at The Amex even though we want a south-coast away treble (Saints 1-0, Cherries 2-1).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'd be very happy with a draw at The Amex even though we want a south-coast away treble (Saints 1-0, Cherries 2-1).
A draw would not be the end of the world for us too but obviously we want all 3pts ideally. How many fans are Burnley bringing?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with all of it except:

West Ham - opposition in disarray, but finished off in style, although some good fortune in first two goals
Christ, that's harsh. West Ham weren't really in disarray before they played us (although they were underperforming). We were just excellent that day, and I don't see where the luck was with that first free kick header. Maybe Izqy's goal should have been kept out, but in reality it wouldn't have been needed had that same keeper not kept out a much harder attempt a few moments before.

Palace - dull draw against the then bottom club
And I'm pleased to be able to tell you, that's exactly where they are now. :cheers:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here