Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I presume the Super Ego Sunday 10k showdown is the Hove Lagoon one by Arena 80? Bottom of my road so I'll pop along to watch the race of the Century. Ninja v Big Nuts.

Bit of man flu for myself so will resist entering but 80 places left for anyone interested........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's the one [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - shaping up to be a belter! I wasn't going to run it in protest at the CRIMINAL lack of finishers medal! But a 10k PB is on the cards and it needs to be in a recognised setting for the purposes of the NSC leaderboard!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That's the one [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - shaping up to be a belter! I wasn't going to run it in protest at the CRIMINAL lack of finishers medal! But a 10k PB is on the cards and it needs to be in a recognised setting for the purposes of the NSC leaderboard!

I'm expecting both you and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] to post sub 38:30 times. No pressure :p

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm expecting both you and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] to post sub 38:30 times. No pressure :p

I think you MIGHT be safe. :lolol:

However, when we're pushing each other along... who knows. Realistically for me, anything sub-40 would be excellent but I think that duelling with the big fella should spur us both on to quicker times. There is no way I would have run an 18:23 5k if there wasn't a direct opponent right up my backside for the last 3kms, and especially if he hadn't tried to go past a couple of times. The competition is the key.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Preston Park is fine by me, although I won't get near 21:00 there. Who decided to finish that course on an incline?!

I am tempted to get to Worthing this Saturday and throw everything at it in an attempt to go sub-21, particularly as I haven't got any longer races lined up for a while now. But I've just seen 18mph winds are forecast which rules that out.

I intend to do Worthing this week. As I'm currently slogging out slow miles for that Preston Park marathon I'll be interested to see how I go. I've almost forgotten how to run 'fast' and a sub 21 (even without that wind) would be well outside of my current capabilities.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Preston Park is fine by me, although I won't get near 21:00 there. Who decided to finish that course on an incline?!

I am tempted to get to Worthing this Saturday and throw everything at it in an attempt to go sub-21, particularly as I haven't got any longer races lined up for a while now. But I've just seen 18mph winds are forecast which rules that out.

Due West too. I'll give you my disciplined pacing strategy for that one. Sub 21:00 needs a 6:45 mile pace. So head into the wind at 7:05 preferably sheltering behind a group running at that speed. On the turn run back at 6:30 and sprint over the run in for a sub 21:00.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I really need the discipline you and others have obviously got but I struggle to resist the sprint start at Worthing. Your plan would be about 4:25/km into the wind and then about 4:02/km coming back with a fast finish. That sounds doable (depending on how bad the wind is) so I am going to try and follow it as it's about time I tried some form of pacing.

Are you Parkrunning this weekend and, if so, what's the aim?

Man flu so will see how I am but will just do a recovery run at best. Good luck.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] - before this year I've always been obsessed with distance running as well, rather than specific session. I found my 5k time coming down naturally without too much training for the Brighton Marathon of this year but I wanted to re-dedicate myself to speed. My weekly milage has come down but the quality of the sessions has gone up, and here I am now talking about an 18:23 5k PB rather than the 19:42 it was at the start of the year. I didn't run a sub-20 5k all of last year (admittedly I only ran two or three parkruns!) but this year I've found a focus and followed a training plan written by mate Rob who ran a 16:02 around Hove Park on parkrun #13 (comfortable victory that day!).

The real question for me is whether I concentrate on a 3 hour Brighton Marathon or continue to build toward it, Rob is keen for me to look at 10k and work toward that distance, and then the Half, and then full Marathon in that order which makes sense and is perfectly logical - but I feel like I can run a 3 hour Marathon and qualify for London if I turn my attention to it in the new year.

I'm considering running Portsmouth in December to see where I am over the longer distance, and then making the decision from there. After the November 11th sub 18 attempt, I'll have a decision to make.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's interesting that you obviously have the knowledge/technique to train yourself to run long or run fast. For me, ever since I started running my only tactic has been to clock up more and more miles and the consequence of that has been that my 5km time has consistently come down. But what I'm doing is nonsense really as, to take it to an extreme, Usain Bolt obviously doesn't train for 100m by running a marathon. So my plan is only going to take me so far and then it will hamper progress.

WIth that in mind, when you've run the marathon, what sort of training would you do to get yourself back to a 20/21 minute 5km time?

I’m in nowhere near the same league as our resident racing snakes, but I can pass on a few snippets from my coach.

-long distance (by which I mean even up to the sillier end) should always include speedwork. When I’m training for 100m events my plan always has at least one quality interval session in it (theory being if you can run faster, running slower is easier)

-endurance training builds your aerobic capability, meaning you can ‘hang on’ longer in the shorter stuff

-plan should always be balanced, it’s just that the balance shifts when you’re aiming for a particular event (as [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] says)

In short, they’re not mutually exclusive, just adapt the schedule a bit to suit your goal race - bear in mind pretty much all the events we are talking about are classified as ‘long distance’ by athletes !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This thread is great, there are so many knowledgeable people on here. I can't comprehend the idea of 100 miles. My mind is currently a bit daunted about stepping up from HM to marathon, so what you do is unreal. I appreciate roughly the same theory applies to us all though, I just need to find a balance between sessions rather than repeating the same distances/times over and again.
Good point there - variety is key. I'm happy to post up a few session examples that my coach has set if anyone is interested? Maybe a couple of 'standard' weeks?

I'm away now so won't be until the weekend though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
This thread is great, there are so many knowledgeable people on here. I can't comprehend the idea of 100 miles. My mind is currently a bit daunted about stepping up from HM to marathon, so what you do is unreal. I appreciate roughly the same theory applies to us all though, I just need to find a balance between sessions rather than repeating the same distances/times over and again.

When I first read it, I thought me meant 100 metres!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My mind briefly defaulted to metres rather than miles there too (after all, who would be mad enough to take on 100 miles?). Then I remembered [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is an absolute monster even by this thread's standards![/QUOTE [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] is worse [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here