Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new Gillette ad

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What product are they advertising, can't see Sterling Cooper putting this advert forward

the brand, the product not so important as image these days.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Obviously not and that was not my point. Of course we need to rid society of negative male behaviours carried out by a minority of men. My point was that the media increasingly seems to demonise normal male behaviours.

You will have to define normal male behaviours. I do not see normal behaviours being attacked in this ad at all.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I don't think anybody is insulted by it. It's just extremely cringeworthy and very unlikely to get the message through. In fact it's most likely to do the opposite (as evidenced) and they must have known that.

Therefore it's just cynical marketing targeted at women, who will likely buy their partner's razors.

From reading comments on Twitter, there are a fair few who are insulted by it, not that the loudest people on Twitter are representative of society as a whole, thank goodness. Gillette must be pleased with the attention I think - they may lose some customers, but this media frenzy is surely tomorrow's chip paper.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
From reading comments on Twitter, there are a fair few who are insulted by it, not that the loudest people on Twitter are representative of society as a whole, thank goodness. Gillette must be pleased with the attention I think - they may lose some customers, but this media frenzy is surely tomorrow's chip paper.

Pretty much this. The furore will die down soon enough.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Most men agree 100% with the sentiment behind the ads, but plenty of men - and I include myself in this - don't need to be preached at as if we're all naughty boys without a moral compass. The advert is cringeworthy and patronising and I can see it being a massive own goal for Gillette, especially with the growing popularity of online razor sales such as Harry's.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Women don't kill 2 male partners or ex partners every week.

Talk about slanting statistics! Presumably the point being made is that men do kill two female partners or ex partners every week. That. I agree, is unacceptable, it is wrong, it is two too many; absolutely no question about that.

Alternatively, the same statistic also indicates that >99.99% of men wouldn't even dream of killing their partners. Perhaps that just doesn't suit today's agenda.

And, as an afterthought, the small minority who do[/B} urgently need to change their behaviour won't be touched by this advert at all.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You will have to define normal male behaviours. I do not see normal behaviours being attacked in this ad at all.

Not in this ad no, as mentioned I am not against the ad but fear that it can lead to male behaviours in general being criticised.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Most men agree 100% with the sentiment behind the ads, but plenty of men - and I include myself in this - don't need to be preached at as if we're all naughty boys without a moral compass. The advert is cringeworthy and patronising and I can see it being a massive own goal for Gillette, especially with the growing popularity of online razor sales such as Harry's.

NWGull has put in to words what I am trying to say. The sentiment is fine but I worry that it can be construed as male behaviour is toxic rather than negative male behaviour is toxic.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
You've got to be a complete SNOWFLAKE and thick in the head to be offended by that ad. Talk about deliberately missing the point.

The sentiment is fine but I worry that it can be construed as male behaviour is toxic rather than negative male behaviour is toxic.

Construed that way by absolute morons. The ad quite clearly is talking about negative male behaviour. Anybody who disagrees with any of the issues raised in that ad clearly thinks that they are acceptable.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You've got to be a complete SNOWFLAKE and thick in the head to be offended by that ad. Talk about deliberately missing the point.

Once again, read the comments. Most people are not OFFENDED by it but are a little PATRONISED by it. Big difference.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Construed that way by absolute morons. The ad quite clearly is talking about negative male behaviour. Anybody who disagrees with any of the issues raised in that ad clearly thinks that they are acceptable.

Why not make an advert about negative black behaviour then? Or Muslims? Or women's negative behaviour?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Once again, read the comments. Most people are not OFFENDED by it but are a little PATRONISED by it. Big difference.

YouTube comments are not a good place to read sentiment, that site is filled, much like twitter comments, with absolute idiots.

Earlier you said "increasingly we are telling men that ALL their behaviour is toxic", that's just not true. It's an exaggeration peddled by the alt-right and people that are upset that they can no longer treat women however they like. Nobody is saying that men can't act like men, they are saying that you shouldn't act like a c**t, which it seems too many people struggle with.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
YouTube comments are not a good place to read sentiment, that site is filled, much like twitter comments, with absolute idiots.

Earlier you said "increasingly we are telling men that ALL their behaviour is toxic", that's just not true. It's an exaggeration peddled by the alt-right and people that are upset that they can no longer treat women however they like. Nobody is saying that men can't act like men, they are saying that you shouldn't act like a c**t.

Well, I certainly agree with you on both those points. As an added bonus the advert has pissed off Piers Morgan too :D

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
It's good ad. Thought provoking and fits in with their slogan too. Toxic masculinity (or being dick) is hardly on the decline these and it should be challenged. I am certainly not taking offence at this ad, in fact I think it is really rather good.
Exactly how I feel. It's a shame to see it's got so many dislikes. I don't understand how you can feel patronised (or any other negative feeling) by it, unless you see a bit of yourself in the bell ends Gillette is trying to call out. Given the negative reaction, there's clearly still some way to go.

I will continue to buy Gillette products, though in future with a smug sense of self satisfaction into the bargain.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Earlier you said "increasingly we are telling men that ALL their behaviour is toxic", that's just not true. It's an exaggeration peddled by the alt-right and people that are upset that they can no longer treat women however they like. Nobody is saying that men can't act like men, they are saying that you shouldn't act like a c**t, which it seems too many people struggle with.

A big fat THIS!!!

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I notice they weren't brave enough to have a white man stepping in to stop a black man doing something negative, but opted to show it the other way around, twice. And they made sure that black people doing something wrong were being stopped by other black people, not white people.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Anybody going loopy over this (and I'm basically looking at Piers Morgan here) should pause and reflect on the fact they're angry at the suggestion that being nice might be a good idea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here