Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bizarre visiting supporter today

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I still overhear the word chinky when people are referring to a Chinese takeaway/restaurant which is offensive

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Collins dictionary (it never struck me as potentially offensive)
Word Frequency
oriental
(ɔːrientəl )
Word forms: plural orientals
1. adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]
Oriental means coming from or associated with eastern Asia, especially China and Japan.
There were Oriental carpets on the floors.
...oriental food.
2. countable noun
Some people refer to people from eastern Asia, especially China or Japan as Orientals. This use could cause offence.

Hope the fella enjoyed the Amex :) Sure he did

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interestingly* is 'occidental' an offensive word? If not, perhaps it should be.

*If I think it is interesting then it must be, by definition. That's how it works, isn't it (innit), n'est-ce pas? ???

Back to the original post, I suspect we may find he was neither bizarre, nor visiting, nor a fan. Nor, strictly speaking a 'he'.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Interestingly* is 'occidental' an offensive word? If not, perhaps it should be.

*If I think it is interesting then it must be, by definition. That's how it works, isn't it (innit), n'est-ce pas? ???

Back to the original post, I suspect we may find he was neither bizarre, nor visiting, nor a fan. Nor, strictly speaking a 'he'.

Weird! You’re spending to much time on here, I genuinely worry for you.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Just a final sparkler after the fireworks... I was born and raised for the first 18 years of my life in Bradford (we all have our crosses and all that).

In Bradford - Pakistanis, Indians, Bangladeshi's and so on all actually classed themselves as 'Asians'. It was a term they gave themselves - not one put upon them. Why would this be?

For the record, I've never in my life heard someone called 'East Asian' - but then again I'm a bit dim.

*sits back and awaits enlightenment, QI style.

Nobody has answered this! I demand an NSC informed and interesting answer. :tantrum:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I refer to my Thai wife as “ ornamental “.....................she’s a trophy wife here to make fat old me look good !

She lives on the shelf in the front room........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This thread is sponsored by Big Ron and Richard Keys

Former Wigan owner Dave Whelan has an intellectual take on this:

DB2309A2-CE54-4071-B5C7-1321F1BBE9CD.png

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Former Wigan owner Dave Whelan has an intellectual take on this:

View attachment 103765

I think context and intent has long flown in this ridiculous world. Racism, a curse and a scourge, has become a political football for the headline agendas.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sshh, the club will be taking stills of us in our seats at every home game, and then summoning the sth to a disciplinary, if a relative or friend, suddenly appears at one match.

Quite so.

If I was to let a friend borrow my ST which, of course I would never do as it would unleash the wrath of Barber, I would give them clear, written instructions on how to find their seat and tell them that under no circumstances should they ask for directions from a steward!

el punal

This is partly why I often don't bother with the 45 quid plus cost against the big teams. So many bloody tourists.

Welcome to the Premier League eh? How we would have loved that at Withdean on a cold, wet Saturday against the likes of Stockport County. Be grateful with all we, as a club and as fans, have gone through to get to this level, and then we complain about footballing tourists. Does anyone in Barcelona complain about the hordes of English football fans who descend on Camp Nou to have selfies taken? Enjoy it, indulge it, suffer it. Just remember - it could all go in a heartbeat, and boy would we miss it.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I went to my seat on Saturday and a guy says, sorry and moved along a seat. A bit strange as he wasn't in my seat. I was presuming he was Liverpool and managed to get a seat there, the regulars in that seat weren't there, but after half hour he started clapping Brighton and joining in, so at least he was Brighton.

Back on topic, how come the Chinese name their restaurants Oriental Palace etc?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here