Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottle Top BAN!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I tend to buy my cold refreshments at the Amex in pint shape, so I’m actually quite surprised that this is even new. As away fans we’ve been having the bottle tops removed at point of sale since we were in the 3rd division, so at least 19 years!

I used to go to a number of away games in that timeframe, over 30 grounds (not many compared to some I know!) and often brought a bottle of water with me. Never was the bottle top removed.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Is it? For it to be reasonable, the benefits need to outweigh the costs/inconvenience. How many counts of bottles being thrown on the Amex pitch have there been? How many people are going to be inconvenienced by this? There is now an increased likelihood of spillages (increasing slip risks, cleaning costs). What about the risk, particularly in the hotter months of issues around dehydration, particularly kids who will be prone to accidental spillages (making 'just buy a[nother] drink from the concourse' costly, perhaps prohibitively so) and elderly for whom mobility issues make going back and forth to the refreshment stands an inconvenience. It goes against the clubs stated aims to be environmentally friendly and reduce single use plastics who will reuse a plastic bottle with no cap? There's also bad will - look at the responses in this thread, and the previous thread on flasks being banned.

What is the benefit? People are stopped from doing something that they've done so infrequently I can't remember it happening. I can remember a pie being thrown - if they stop people taking beer to their seats why isn't it just as easy to stop them taking their pies there? I remember coins being thrown. I remember empty crisp packets blowing across the pitch. I remember a sex toy being thrown on the pitch.

I don't recall a bottle being thrown. I don't claim it never happens, but I don't remember it happening at the amex. So is it really reasonable to inconvenience so many people for such a minor risk?
Spot on! As ever it’s not only the content of the club’s communication but the style of it that annoys me. It must have been written by the person who produces the letters to parents from my boy’s school.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You can’t take their ties that’s what they smuggle their water in with

1dde2167b0d3802f1b621bf11ec0b6be.jpg

That is a yorkshire county cricket club tie

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I used to go to a number of away games in that timeframe, over 30 grounds (not many compared to some I know!) and often brought a bottle of water with me. Never was the bottle top removed.

Carlisle in c1998. Never been to a game since when it's happened to me, and I always take a bottle of water so my throat isn't totally buggered by the second half.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I never brought a bottle with me; although I bought plenty, and the cap was often removed whether it was beer or a soft drink.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This has got me rather pissed off I must say, 2x Alba Badger JR bring in water bottles and now we will be told they can’t take them in with bottle tops on?
This is getting behind a joke now, it is all in the name of terror but all about making money.
You know that it's free to get water at the game, right?

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Take a small hanky or something else you can use to plug the bottle? That might not be the best example but it will stop minor spills and no one will take it off you upon entry.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Next you won't be able to take your season ticket card in as it might be flicked at someone. Could be interesting with no supporters allowed into the ground?

Take a small hanky or something else you can use to plug the bottle? That might not be the best example but it will stop minor spills and no one will take it off you upon entry.

Also a field mouse would do the same, it might be possible for him to live under your seat so there is no need to take him each game. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've been taking this SIGG water bottle to Albion matches for 25 years. I never buy bottled water

Capture.JPG

So is this now a banned item?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Well that's quite remarkable as I'd say it happens at 95% of away games and has for many years. I remember at Yeovil them having little bottle top holes for depositing them into! Still don't agree with the club on this though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Judging by the the dents in it, I would say we've found the reason for the club going out with a reminder.
How many people have you killed with that thing? Be honest.

Only used on Palace fans. So this is now banned?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it? For it to be reasonable, the benefits need to outweigh the costs/inconvenience. How many counts of bottles being thrown on the Amex pitch have there been? How many people are going to be inconvenienced by this? There is now an increased likelihood of spillages (increasing slip risks, cleaning costs). What about the risk, particularly in the hotter months of issues around dehydration, particularly kids who will be prone to accidental spillages (making 'just buy a[nother] drink from the concourse' costly, perhaps prohibitively so) and elderly for whom mobility issues make going back and forth to the refreshment stands an inconvenience. It goes against the clubs stated aims to be environmentally friendly and reduce single use plastics who will reuse a plastic bottle with no cap? There's also bad will - look at the responses in this thread, and the previous thread on flasks being banned.

What is the benefit? People are stopped from doing something that they've done so infrequently I can't remember it happening. I can remember a pie being thrown - if they stop people taking beer to their seats why isn't it just as easy to stop them taking their pies there? I remember coins being thrown. I remember empty crisp packets blowing across the pitch. I remember a sex toy being thrown on the pitch.

I don't recall a bottle being thrown. I don't claim it never happens, but I don't remember it happening at the amex. So is it really reasonable to inconvenience so many people for such a minor risk?

Cleaning costs? I seriously doubt the areas (apart from 1901) are cleaned apart from picking up litter. I've seen cobwebs I could knit a scarf from.

How stringent are the searches for bottle tops going to be? Remember you only get a pat down.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I've had the most A M A Z I N G idea, ST holders could be issued with their own bottle stopper with membership details on

That’s a great idea.

So if any are found inside the stadium, the club could identify litterers and more importantly, luzzers.
That will open the way for much more loyal fans to attend games, and filter out the riff raff that currently go.
Can we suggest this to the club?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here