Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advice on Rome

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Taking Mrs D7 to Rome in March, just looking for advice on which area is best to stay in, don’t want to have to walk miles to good bars and restaurants etc. Also best way in from airport - how much is a taxi?

For some reason - She didn’t like my suggestion of going to see Lazio or Roma play! So looks like site seeing. Any other hidden gems we should visit after the Vatican, colleaseum etc

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Central Rome, we stayed at a luxury apartment in Via Del Leoncino, absolutely everything was within walking distance. Taxi is by far the easiest to and from the airport as the traffic is horrendous, cost each way approximately 50 Euros.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Just a tip, which wasn’t obvious to us:

A ticket to the colloseum also gets you in to the Roman Forum opposite. Don’t buy an extra ticket!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do as the Romans

scooter1

How soon is now?
Stay near the central terminus and you can get the train straight there from the airport. You can then walk pretty much everywhere. Take water to the coliseum as there are many looky people selling bottled water where the lids don’t match the bottles, and don’t engage with anybody offering you something for nothing....
It’s a lovely city, but we found that somebody was trying to rip us off around every corner. Whether it was a beer, iffy bottled water or over charging restaurants in tourist areas, it felt like we were fair game at times.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m going next week and am staying in Trastevere - which Is where I nearly always stay. Spent a lot of time in Rome. Lovely cobbled streets full of great bars and eateries.
Train from airport goes straight there and then you can walk from there or get No 6 tram down main road. Definetly the best place to stay and within 15/20 min walk of vatican, Trevi, forum etc.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It’s a lovely city, but we found that somebody was trying to rip us off around every corner. Whether it was a beer, iffy bottled water or over charging restaurants in tourist areas, it felt like we were fair game at times.

This. Only place I've felt like a walking wallet that everyone wanted money from. They wouldn't even smile at you as they overcharged you either. The history, buildings and culture are immense but found the locals a moody bunch.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I’m going next week and am staying in Trastevere - which Is where I nearly always stay. Spent a lot of time in Rome. Lovely cobbled streets full of great bars and eateries.
Train from airport goes straight there and then you can walk from there or get No 6 tram down main road. Definetly the best place to stay and within 15/20 min walk of vatican, Trevi, forum etc.

This. Beautiful area.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A great city for just strolling around, and seeing the Pantheon, Circus Maximus and Trevi Fountain cost nothing.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Taking Mrs D7 to Rome in March, just looking for advice on which area is best to stay in, don’t want to have to walk miles to good bars and restaurants etc. Also best way in from airport - how much is a taxi?

For some reason - She didn’t like my suggestion of going to see Lazio or Roma play! So looks like site seeing. Any other hidden gems we should visit after the Vatican, colleaseum etc

Ive been there a few times,my fave city in the world! First few stayed in old centre, Centro storico, near pantheon. which nice but most restaurants etc are just tourist traps and you dont get the real buzz of being in a locals area. A roman fella from my work suggested I go to Trastevere, as its just across the river from the old centre, (10 mins walk) its where many Romans go, and it was truly fantastic there. Buzzing, full of cool bars and authentic eateries packed with Italians, prices much better than in the old centre and its still central for everything. last 2 times in trastevere and will def go here the next time to, both airbnb's https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1361769 and the first time (which we liked more) was here [video]https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1168800[/video]. Wherever you stay, you'll love it :)

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Lovely city.

Try and buy tickets in advance for the Colosseum and the Vatican. Quite often these will be "skip the line" tickets.

Try to avoid the Vatican on a Wednesday as the Pope does an address to the public, so the place will be even busier.

Though if you are sending post cards, posting them from the Vatican is quicker than in Rome itself.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Stay near the central terminus and you can get the train straight there from the airport. You can then walk pretty much everywhere. Take water to the coliseum as there are many looky people selling bottled water where the lids don’t match the bottles, and don’t engage with anybody offering you something for nothing....

Be wary in restaurants of bread/bruchetta and other bits you did not order being placed on the table......you will be charged for them and they are not cheap.....send them away if you dont want them

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Hidden gem, not too far from the Coliseum - Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano

It's a C12th Church, built on top of an older church, built on top of a temple. You can go down and see each layer. Incredible and rarely recommended. To me it feels like Rome in one building - the way the Romans have just built on top of the city as it evolved. Really is well worth a visit.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
This. Only place I've felt like a walking wallet that everyone wanted money from. They wouldn't even smile at you as they overcharged you either. The history, buildings and culture are immense but found the locals a moody bunch.
Careful of packed tube trains . Got my pocket picked but managed to get my wallet back. Apparently if you challenge the suspect they will discard the wallet as many are illegals and can't afford drawing attention to themselves

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lovely city.

Try and buy tickets in advance for the Colosseum and the Vatican. Quite often these will be "skip the line" tickets.

Try to avoid the Vatican on a Wednesday as the Pope does an address to the public, so the place will be even busier.

Though if you are sending post cards, posting them from the Vatican is quicker than in Rome itself.

Go to the Vatican as early as possible in the day. It is complete mayhem even with skip the queue but as a one off experience worth doing

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Another vote for Trastevere - some excellent local restaurants there. Try the local artichokes. To get from the airport there is a direct express train - think it’s called Marco Polo express. 30 mins into the main station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Thanks everyone - exactly what I was looking for - Trastevere it is and I will pre-book tickets

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here