Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert

Has Knockeart had a good game for us in the premier league? I’m struggling to think of one ?

Ah come on. Maybe the lightening quick defenders at Prem level mean he isn't quite the flat track bully he was in the Championship, but he still has the best technique of any of our players. With our healthy squad situation, we don't have to flog him to death any more, much as he's the type to want to play every game.

With what Locadia has done these past 2 games, even more of a lesson not writing players off who might not be automatic first choice

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Would the mini strop at the end of the Arsenal match tie in with being allowed to go to France to see his family?

I'd be mightily annoyed if I'd been told I was needed at work over Christmas therefore missing the opportunity to spend it with my son only to sit on the bench and come on at the death in what was essentially a time wasting sub.

All hypothetical obviously as no one but those directly involved will know but could it also be related to Maguire-Drew being recalled?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Albion have recalled winger Jordan Maguire-Drew from his loan at Wrexham.

The 21-year-old initially joined the National League side on a season-long deal in August.

He has made 17 appearances, scoring three goals.

Albion currently have winger Alireza Jahanbakhsh away on international duty and he has been struggling with a hamstring injury.

Jose Izquierdo has missed recent matches with a knee problem.

And Anthony Knockaert was left out of the 18 to face Everton yesterday with under-23s forward Viktor Gyokeres instead called on to the bench.

Wrexham are mounting a strong title challenge in the fifth tier but Maguire-Drew has not played since late November.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Your posts on this thread BG are really funny -

Despite this post I still really enjoy reading what you write and it does make good topics of conversation.

Is that not what NSC is about? Rather than facts of which none of us are privy to as regards the players and management decisions.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is that not what NSC is about? Rather than facts of which none of us are privy to as regards the players and management decisions.

NSC should also be about the facts on players and management decisions, most of which we are privy to as the club or journalists or because others on here do share them.
The facts re: AK are multiple. The clubs loyal support of him through many issues of form, personal health, and complex family relationships. Conversely his long experience of reacting passionately, sometimes detrimentally, to all of these. And the club and CH also regularly leaves players out of the squad this season and for multiple tactical reasons. Whether that leads one to the inevitable conclusion, based on absolutely nothing, that he's had a "massive row" and is "off" because he's simply been dropped from the squad , and isn't injured and a thread must be started saying so is up to you but its not surprising that some posters will scoff or be frustrated with it.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

Albion have recalled winger Jordan Maguire-Drew from his loan at Wrexham.

The 21-year-old initially joined the National League side on a season-long deal in August.

He has made 17 appearances, scoring three goals.

Albion currently have winger Alireza Jahanbakhsh away on international duty and he has been struggling with a hamstring injury.

Jose Izquierdo has missed recent matches with a knee problem.

And Anthony Knockaert was left out of the 18 to face Everton yesterday with under-23s forward Viktor Gyokeres instead called on to the bench.

Wrexham are mounting a strong title challenge in the fifth tier but Maguire-Drew has not played since late November.

JM-D will be leaving in January. Better for the club to receive a small fee for him in the transfer window because his contract is up at the end of June.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
NSC should also be about the facts on players and management decisions, most of which we are privy to as the club or journalists or because others on here do share them.
The facts re: AK are multiple. The clubs loyal support of him through many issues of form, personal health, and complex family relationships. Conversely his long experience of reacting passionately, sometimes detrimentally, to all of these. And the club and CH also regularly leaves players out of the squad this season and for multiple tactical reasons. Whether that leads one to the inevitable conclusion, based on absolutely nothing, that he's had a "massive row" and is "off" because he's simply been dropped from the squad , and isn't injured and a thread must be started saying so is up to you but its not surprising that some posters will scoff or be frustrated with it.

What’s the tactical reasoning for Gyokeres over Knockaert? I can’t think of one.

And the reason this is discussed, is because journalists don’t really ask.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Before posting what I am posting here, let me be clear that I know absolutely nothing on the subject but a good Manager knows how to get the best from a player.

Knocky does not strike me as the type of player who responds to a boot up the backside. He is a Gazza type personality who probably responds a sympathetic approach and arm round his shoulder.

Tony has been very open about the fact his wife and little boy are back in France - So I personally think it is more likely he got a bit of time with them than a ''fall out'' - Whatever ends up being the case, I doubt we will ever find out.

These things deserve to stay ''in house'', although I do appreciate that social media nowadays means you can't avoid speculation. And anyhow I thought it was good to see Goykeres in the squad. Its what people have been crying out for, to see someone come through from the Academy
Nah, bugger all that lot, I'm going with BG's bullsh... er, 'gossip' from the Bovril queue.

[emoji85][emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What’s the tactical reasoning for Gyokeres over Knockaert? I can’t think of one.

And the reason this is discussed, is because journalists don’t really ask.

The Argus and BBC and others did ask about Knockaert yesterday which is why before kick off they were told his dropping from the squad "was tactical" and not an injury.
And they were either have embargoed stories on it , if CH said more on it (where they will have asked again) in the post match press conference, i guess, probably in the Argus tomorrow.
And likely they will ask again, as they do about all player injuries, being dropped, etc , at the pre-West Ham press conference. (which i think is tomorrow)

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Before posting what I am posting here, let me be clear that I know absolutely nothing on the subject but a good Manager knows how to get the best from a player.

Knocky does not strike me as the type of player who responds to a boot up the backside. He is a Gazza type personality who probably responds a sympathetic approach and arm round his shoulder.

Tony has been very open about the fact his wife and little boy are back in France - So I personally think it is more likely he got a bit of time with them than a ''fall out'' - Whatever ends up being the case, I doubt we will ever find out.

These things deserve to stay ''in house'', although I do appreciate that social media nowadays means you can't avoid speculation. And anyhow I thought it was good to see Goykeres in the squad. Its what people have been crying out for, to see someone come through from the Academy

This. A very well-considered and articulate response, and will undoubtedly and unfortunately be totally ignored on here in favour of more salacious musings. #NooBHAout

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

With Knocky you never know what you are going to get, brilliant, verging on unplayable one minute, (as in our Championship years), to his sulky fits and throwing his toys out of the pram when things don't go his way, on other occasions.

You are right though, giving him a dressing down for his misdemenaours is definately not the way to improve things, sympathy and encouragement are much more likely to work. But that's all part of his charm in my book, never knowing which Anthony Knockaert you are going to get on the day!

As for Viktor Gykores, yes it was good to see him in the matchday squad, but I'm sure he wouldn't have been there if either Izquierdo, or Jahanbaksh has been available. Personally l'd much rather he goes out on loan until the end of the season, then he will be much better equipped for some more bench warming next campaign.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Would the mini strop at the end of the Arsenal match tie in with being allowed to go to France to see his family?

I'd be mightily annoyed if I'd been told I was needed at work over Christmas therefore missing the opportunity to spend it with my son only to sit on the bench and come on at the death in what was essentially a time wasting sub.

All hypothetical obviously as no one but those directly involved will know but could it also be related to Maguire-Drew being recalled?

I would think that if you were a pro footballer earning £1000's per week then by now you would know that a Christmas with family dont happen( or is highly unlikely) in the UK.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I would think that if you were a pro footballer earning £1000's per week then by now you would know that a Christmas with family dont happen( or is highly unlikely) in the UK.

I completely agree, however if Anthony has made the request for whatever reason and been told no because he is in the plans for the Arsenal game and it ended up being a couple of minutes at the end to run the clock down I could see why he had that reaction. There is of course no way of knowing how that game would have gone and he could well have been used a lot earlier but Knocky has always worn his heart on his sleeve so he may not have seen it that way at the time.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Ooh, do you get to call him TONY?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
The reason that they do not post on hre is because them and Ben think that in the main the posters on here are the biggest load of bell ends who wouldnt know a football if it hit them in the face. I am always defending NSC posters to my sons pointing out it is about opinions and they vary.

Excellent reply BG, I think your sons are very perceptive, you have to put up with some prize ones goading you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I completely agree, however if Anthony has made the request for whatever reason and been told no because he is in the plans for the Arsenal game and it ended up being a couple of minutes at the end to run the clock down I could see why he had that reaction. There is of course no way of knowing how that game would have gone and he could well have been used a lot earlier but Knocky has always worn his heart on his sleeve so he may not have seen it that way at the time.

No i disgree.?..if he was told he was involved in the Arsenal game he should have been grateful even if it was for two minutes. It's a team game....squad game and he should have been there to give his all for however much time he was called upon. He is paid a lot of money for his services and should repay his employers and the fans with enthusiasm that his position demands. Having said that I like Knocky and can't quite see how this situation is developing and will play out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here